Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good radio presenter?

• 26-06-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

We all know that a radio presenter can help to set one radio station apart from another playing similar music. I am interested to hear peoples views as to what makes a radio presenter better than another. I often read criticisms of presenters and what they do wrong or what annoys people, so I'm interested to hear why you like a particular presenter. :rolleyes: cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Qite simple for me really. Once a presenter is not pretending to be from Dublin 4 that's a good starting point. Be yourself at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Effortless command of his/her environment the understanding that less is more and a good radio voice.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Neutral voice, no annoying mannerisms,correct grammar without being pedantic,someone who is not afraid to confront and ask the hard questions,well informed and researched.

Pat Kenny and Sean O'Rourke tick most of those boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

For me, Pat Kenny DOESN'T tick the "no annoyming mannerisms" box (if he did, he wouldn't be so easy for the impressionists to imitate) or "the not being afraid to ask hard questions" box (his interviews, particularly on the Late Late, are pretty weak and are more promotions of his guest than anything else).

As regards what makes a good presenter - I'd agree mostly with what Mike has said and I'd add that it can depend on what the show is and how well the presenter fits the theme of the show, and who the audience are and how well he/she identifies with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

For talk radio - No ridiculously exaggerated accents (Jurry O Thullivan or Emma Mocknomora), impartial with issues, especially in debates. Not afraid to ask the hard questions. Seán O'Rourke is probably best in this regard.

For entertainment - Less talky more music. I despise inane mindless witterings, idiotic sound effects and ridiculous text polls. Also a bit of musical variety is essential. There are currently no good DJ's on mainstream radio.

• Advertisement

Can anyone in the biz tell me if there is pressure to fill airtime with "waffle" rather than play music these days. I get the impression fewer tracks are being played in a given hour than say 10 years ago.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's great when they know the mechanics of their job. it really annoys me when they're waffling, asking each other what to do next (ray d'arcy), pressing the wrong buttons, awkward silence when they haven't copped that they've messed something up ...

less is definitely more - if you've nothing to say, play music. why on earth they don't always have something queued up is beyond me.

ditch crap guests. both studio and phone in people, if they're rubbish get rid of them.

relax with the text messages. it might make you feel good, but reading 10 out that are all saying basically the same thing does not entertainment make.

Well to be fair to D'Arcy, most presenters these days don't need an in-depth knowledge of the mechanics of the hardware involved as they generally have a producer in studio to look after all that... or so the theory goes anyway... that relies on them having a competent and knowledgeable producer of course ;)

Mike, I think you're right, but the thing is - if people just want music, they have their computers, iPods & other MP3 players, CD's, phones... its easier than ever to pick and choose your own music from your own collection and just entertain yourself - so there has to be something else other than just the music to keep people tuned in, and radio stations therefore need their presenters to have strong personalities too - which means that yes, the balance tips a little more towards waffle than it used to, these days. :)

Tis a bleak outlook then.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Nightwish wrote: »
    For talk radio - No ridiculously exaggerated accents (Jurry O Thullivan or Emma Mocknomora), impartial with issues, especially in debates. Not afraid to ask the hard questions. Seán O'Rourke is probably best in this regard.

For entertainment - Less talky more music. I despise inane mindless witterings, idiotic sound effects and ridiculous text polls. Also a bit of musical variety is essential. There are currently no good DJ's on mainstream radio.

know what you mean as regards inane mindless witterings , rick o shea in the afternoon on 2fm has given me a new found affection for TONY FENTON on today fm

o shea is unlistenable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bard wrote: »
    Well to be fair to D'Arcy... ... that relies on them having a competent and knowledgeable producer of course ;)

Zing!

Have to agree with Nightwish's points, just about sums it up for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I guy I know is down to the last 6 people in line to get a job presenting on I102-1045 Galway radio :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

most presenters these days don't need an in-depth knowledge of the mechanics of the hardware involved as they generally have a producer in studio to look after all that
    sure. but as a listener I don't care *how* it happens, I just want a mostly-seamless professional radio show.
    that relies on them having a competent and knowledgeable producer of course ;)
    it's their name that's on the show, not the presenter, and much like they'd replace a broken cd player they should ....

For me, Pat Kenny DOESN'T tick the "no annoyming mannerisms" box (if he did, he wouldn't be so easy for the impressionists to imitate) or "the not being afraid to ask hard questions" box (his interviews, particularly on the Late Late, are pretty weak and are more promotions of his guest than anything else).

As regards what makes a good presenter - I'd agree mostly with what Mike has said and I'd add that it can depend on what the show is and how well the presenter fits the theme of the show, and who the audience are and how well he/she identifies with them.

Last I heard this was a Radio forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Tubridy is a fantastic radio presenter, better on radio than TV imo.

Gerry Ryan is vile on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

K4t wrote: »
    Tubridy is a fantastic radio presenter, better on radio than TV imo.

Gerry Ryan is vile on the radio.

agree about tubridy , his show has such a laid back loung lizzard feel about it without being in anway contrived while still having stimulating conversation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

My favourite radio talk host has to be Anthony from Opie and Anthony in the US

Last I heard this was a Radio forum?

Eh... Yes... Well done, it is.

I was talking about Pat Kenny's presenting and interviewing style. Not my fault he also does TV.

My point was that his radio interviewing is in a different genre,and more in the serious interviewing style than the TV stuff,which is kind of light entertainment.
    I think most people will admit that he knows his stuff and is well prepared,well researched,and usually knows the background info very thoroughly.

A contrast in this mornings Newstalk Brendan O'Brien who is getting peoples names wrong,peoples titles wrong at a rate of knots.

I like Brendan but therein lies the difference.

Brendan O'Brien is a good defintion of what I don't like in radio presenting. For the reasons stated - those, and he can't interview.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Why do all radio djs have to go on about how dim and dizzy they are because they are djs, they seem to love mentioning it now and then.

Voices annoy me on radio and they include Keelin Shanley (trying to do posh accent), Mary Wilson (foreboding voice), lunchtime guy on Newstalk (just annoying), Gerry Ryan (dub), George Hook (where did the accent come from, isn't he from Cork?), Larry Gogan.

I am now downloading poscasts to listen to in the car in the morning to avoid morning radio. I like Liveline, Moncrieff, Matt Cooper, nighttime show on Newsalk (although, did anyone here it last Thursday night, freakin eejits!), Sunday Supplement and Business show that goes before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There is no definitive answer to the question. It depends on the target audience and type of show being produced. In general the ability to portray personality and not being too fond of your own voice goes a long way on it.

Advertisement