Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a problem...

Options
  • 26-06-2008 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I want to upgrade my graphics card, but I only have a 250wt PSU(Crap, I know) I can't upgrade the psu for 2 reasons, I don't have the expertise and the wiring I'm told is custom to packard bell models. I am running XP SP1 and any suggestions would be grateful, I am looking at a -€180 price range. The one I have ATM is a nvidia geforce 7300 SE, I will be using it for flight Simulation.

Thanks,

Darragh-k

Edit: It's pci-express also...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

darragh-k wrote: »
    I want to upgrade my graphics card, but I only have a 250wt PSU(Crap, I know) I can't upgrade the psu for 2 reasons, I don't have the expertise and the wiring I'm told is custom to packard bell models. I am running XP SP1 and any suggestions would be grateful, I am looking at a -€180 price range. The one I have ATM is a nvidia geforce 7300 SE, I will be using it for flight Simulation.

Thanks,

Darragh-k

Edit: It's pci-express also...

250W is quite slim to say the least!

Are you 100% sure the psu you have is a custom Packard bell jobbie?

PSU is not hard to replace, if you can use a door handle and have some testicular fortitude it's pretty easy....

All the plugs only go in one way!

I reckon bare minimum you would need a good quality 350W psu to consider a half dacent gfx card.

(this is what my little brothers are getting away with on a core2duo + 8800GT system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

uberpixie wrote: »
    250W is quite slim to say the least!

Are you 100% sure the psu you have is a custom Packard bell jobbie?

PSU is not hard to replace, if you can use a door handle and have some testicular fortitude it's pretty easy....

All the plugs only go in one way!

I reckon bare minimum you would need a good quality 350W psu to consider a half dacent gfx card.

(this is what my little brothers are getting away with on a core2duo + 8800GT system)

I read it on another forum about my computer, Ill open it up and take a look, So, say, for a 350wt PSU, what graphics card would you reccomend? under 180 euro is still the budget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What else are you playing? Which Flight sim is it?

What's the rest of your machine specs?

Flight Simulator is really CPU intensive as well...(assuming it's the latest one)

As for the standard PB, they used to use FSP psu's, which are pretty good - will get away with something like an 8600GT OK without having to change it though anything else will ask for a new one.

Get this for 35, good solid PSU for a low price ( I've bought a few for budget builds, very happy with them, no problems powering high end cards) - leaving you with a nice 140 to get a fairly powerful card like this with cash left over, or an ever better one in the 9600GT/8800GT class. Shop around for the best prices, just examples - don't skimp on your PSU though, make sure you get a reliable one. Assuming you have a 17 or 19" monitor, any game will be playable at high settings provided you have a decent CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

What else are you playing? Which Flight sim is it?

What's the rest of your machine specs?

Flight Simulator is really CPU intensive as well...(assuming it's the latest one)

As for the standard PB, they used to use FSP psu's, which are pretty good - will get away with something like an 8600GT OK without having to change it though anything else will ask for a new one.

Get this for 35, good solid PSU for a low price ( I've bought a few for budget builds, very happy with them, no problems powering high end cards) - leaving you with a nice 140 to get a fairly powerful card like this with cash left over, or an ever better one in the 9600GT/8800GT class. Shop around for the best prices, just examples - don't skimp on your PSU though, make sure you get a reliable one. Assuming you have a 17 or 19" monitor, any game will be playable at high settings provided you have a decent CPU.

Well I'm running fs2004 at the moment, but I want to be able to play fsx because it is the future. Other specs are 1gb of ram(upgrading to 2gb soon) the graphics card you know already. 200 hard drive. dvd rewriter, 17" monitor, 250wt psu. Thanks for your suggestions, so would I be able to run a 8800GT on 250wt?

Advertisement