Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual core or quad core?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

OK,
    so have budget together for new pc.
    Have 700 euro inc vat. No monitor required.
    I need it for music recording at home ( no more than 2 channels at once)
    Possibly for photo and video editing ( basic level stuff)
    Usual mp3's and internet usage, have broadband.
    Don't need speakers mouse or keyboard.
    Don't game on pc

My question is i intend on using my licenced copy of xp coz the software i have is xp and i am used to it and comfortable with it.
    I realize vista is inevitable and so want to be future proof.

Is it true that a higher spec dual core is of more use to me running xp?
    Is it true that you have to be running 64bit vista software to take advantage of the quad core tech?
    I understand xp won't see more than 3gb ram?

Thanks for any and all input!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

joeclif wrote: »

Is it true that a higher spec dual core is of more use to me running xp?
    Is it true that you have to be running 64bit vista software to take advantage of the quad core tech?
    I understand xp won't see more than 3gb ram?

Thanks for any and all input!!

Answers are:
    Depends on the app running.
    No.
    32bit XP can't address past 3.25gig of RAM, but the vast majority of apps can't use more than 2 gigs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i'd get the fasted dual core, with quad core you just have three cores sitting there idle, very few games and apps use four cores

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

might be worth getting the quad core, probably wont notice any differance but for processor intensive tasks like compressing video it should help... in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MooseJam wrote: »
    i'd get the fasted dual core, with quad core you just have three cores sitting there idle, very few games and apps use four cores

yet.

it was the same story for the dual core a year ago.

Re: 64-bit and Quadcore, I have no idea. But if you want future proof I'd reccomend any new build be geared toward 64-bit processing either way. So I'd go for a Quadcore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

get 4/8gb of cheap ram, in talking seriously cheap ram form somewhere like memoryc.ie and get a Q6600 and vista 64bit then yoru laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thanks y'all for your input,

future proofing is probably the way forward, thanks again for your help!

Advertisement