Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagon Beetle (New Version)

Options
  • 26-06-2008 8:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is thinking about getting a VW Beetle, not the classic type, the newer shape.

Anyone know anything about them, are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zascar wrote: »
    A friend of mine is thinking about getting a VW Beetle, not the classic type, the newer shape.

Anyone know anything about them, are they any good?

The Beetle is based on the MkIV Golf and uses most of the engines too. I would avoid the old 2.0 litre lump that the Beetle only came in up to about 2001. It only had 115bhp which is not great for a 2.0 litre even back in 2000/2001. The 1.6 litre is ok if a little old, from 2002 the handling was much improved and the 1.8T or 1.9 TDi would be versions of choice.

The only real competitor to the new Beetle is the MINI which is light years ahead of it in almost every department, would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 killerqueen

All I know is I was going to buy one but a friend in the car trade said avoid like the plague as they are very very difficult to repair (if something goes wrong) because the engine is in such a tight space it makes repairs very tricky

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't understand that. It's a golf in a party frock. Engine at the front etc.

I think a 1.8T might be fun. 1.6 and 2.0 petrols are too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask him/her to hire one out for the day first.
    I thought they were kinda nice (love the old style) before I actually drove one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The "new Beetle" seems like a big missed opportunity for VW. It was cool for about 5 minutes after its launch, but looks a bit silly now IMO. They should get onto the guys in BMW and find out how they've made the MINI such a massive hit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

We have a 1.8T and as rightly pointed out, its basically a Golf. Amongst 1.8T's 99&00 have the APH engine (150BHP) and 01+ is APR (180BHP). Fun car to drive, but yes, a PITA to work on under the bonnet, theres a lot less space to work with than the golf. That said, not nearly as bad as the TT.

Weak spots: Water pump impeller, timing belt tensioners, 2nd gear synchro.

Agreed the 2.0 is a dog, 1.8T or 1.9TDI all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The RSI is cool:

Volkswagen_New_Beetle_RSi.jpg

Advertisement