Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Savings account for couple

Options
  • 26-06-2008 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi all,

me & my girlfriend are just in the process of renting our first apartment together. we are at the stage where we are starting to save for a deposit for our own apartment some day.

we plan to save approx 1200 between us each month, any ideas or help with where or how to start saving + who with as we'r both kinda new to this.

are there any saving schemes that would offer a good + secure return.

we bank with aib + boi at present seperately

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Well AIB and BOI both offer regular savings accounts. In fact I opened one with AIB just today. The max you can save with AIB is 300p.m and with BOI 500p.m. Check out their websites and decide accordingly. TBH if you are looking to save 1,200p.m then BOI might be the better option. One sepaerate account for yourself and one for your girlfriend = 1k and then another joint with AIB for the balance would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The best rate on regular savers are at Anglo Irish (8%) upto 1k a month,
    Irish nationwide (7.35) max 1000 a month. Both beat AIb and BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make sure to read the T&Cs on all these accounts carefully. Some only allow you limited access to your cash (ie no more than 2-3 withdrawals a year etc). Just understand the limitations of the account and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I'd recommend Rabo Direct if flexibility is important to you. The savings account rate at the moment is 4.35%, but you can deposit as much as you like and withdraw any time you like. They also have decent term deposits that are easy to set up. Just set up a six month one there at 5.35%.

Advertisement