Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC French exam through Irish

Options
  • 26-06-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I know a guy who did his LC french Exam and Aural through Irish to gain bonus marks. He did the rest of his exams through English.
    Is this allowed??
    or will they fail him in French?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

He's ok as long as he registered that he was doing french through irish if he didnt do that then his written+aural exams will be sent to an english corrector who may not even understand irish... if thats the case any questions answered through irish will get no marks even if they're right!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I think it's 10% extra. I'd only do it if I was very good at Irish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Well on the day of the exam he just ticked the box?! does that count as registering?
    We all went to a grinds school in Tipp so therefore private and I don't know what the story is but seemingly Public schools exams' for correction go to different dept

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry maybe im asking the stupid question here but I want to clarify something. In the french exam he answered the questions that most people answer in English in Irish while he answered the rest in French, is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

generally i'd assume that you have to do all ur exams in irish....
    and it has to be pretty much perfect as well
    and u only get extra marks if it's below 70%
    so ya
    either way the irish bits are only work 25%:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

1huge1 wrote: »
    Sorry maybe im asking the stupid question here but I want to clarify something. In the french exam he answered the questions that most people answer in English in Irish while he answered the rest in French, is that right?

Yes, that's correct. The two comprehension questions and all the Aural!
    He is a fluent Irish speaker (born in the gaeltacht) but you c he doesn't really grasp English, French and other subjects as ell coz he "thinks" through Irish. So it's a bit of a pain under extreme pressure. He basically did his French exam in Irish coz he wanted to scrape as many marks as he could!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    generally i'd assume that you have to do all ur exams in irish....
    Not so. You can do any number through Irish and the rest through English. In fact, you can even do one maths paper through Irish and the other through English!
    and it has to be pretty much perfect as well
    well, a modicum of "loan words" from English is allowed. But if the examiner is of the view that you are using Irish in a natural way for a native speaker, then the odd English word will be ok.
    and u only get extra marks if it's below 70%
    so ya
    either way the irish bits are only work 25%:)

In the case of French, the bonus is 5%. If you score less than 75%, you get 5% of what you scored and this reduces on a sliding scale if you score above 75%.

Relevant link:
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

Advertisement