Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More on the District Court

• 26-06-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

I know that Judges of the DC don't have the power to bind but does Stare not apply to them. I read a report in a newspaper recently of a case that sounded exactly like Kingswood Hackett V Tierney but the judge went the other way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Unusual if true. SC binds all, HC binds CC and DC.

Dodgy newspaper reporting?

Which court was Kingswood Hackett heard in? [The name doesnt ring a bell.]

Perhaps there was some distinguishing fact the newspaper glossed over?

Alternatively, the DC judge may have erred and appeal will correct?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There are no written judgements in the District Court, so citing an authority would be along the lines of "Last week I was here and you sided with the plaintiff".

Don't forget that most of the time a decision is based on the facts as presented not on a technical point of law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Also a judge can only decide a case on the arguments and case law referred to him/her, so is it possible that this case wasn't argued before the judge? If it was argued and the judge did indeed err in law then I'm sure the Circuit Court on appeal will sort the problem (if any exists).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is a decision in the circuits binding on other circuits and the districts?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is a decision in the circuits binding on other circuits and the districts?

Binding in the way that HC cases are binding on the HC - i.e. I would distinguish that case because (insert excuse here).

That said, since the only reported circuit court case is that Cadbury's case, by a now High Court Judge, I'm sure that whenever the circuit court authority is raised it is followed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement