Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disqualified drivers mutual ban agreed

Options
  • 26-06-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Taken from rte.ie

A deal to keep disqualified drivers off the roads in the whole of Ireland and Britain has been signed by transport ministers from the Republic, NI and the UK, meeting at Stormont.

The agreement - the first of its kind in Europe - means that disqualifications will in future be mutually recognised in both parts of Ireland and in Britain.

Currently, drivers who are disqualified in Ireland can still legally drive in other jurisdictions and vice versa.

AdvertisementPoliticians were under pressure to deal with the issue.

The agreement reached is a major breakthrough as Ireland, north and south, and Britain will lead the way in Europe.

While other member states are trying to establish a system for mutual recognition of disqualified drivers they are not near to achieving that goal.

Also on the agenda at today's tri-lateral meeting is the harmonisation of the penalty points systems between the three states. However a resolution to this difficult problem is still some way

Anyone think this is a step too far? I can see the reasoning behind N. Ireland but a bit too much for UK too?
    Aswell - different countries have different rules of the road etc. - for example you might be over the limit in Ireland when you get put off the road but another country might have a different blood / alcohol limit...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes it's a step way to far...the UK police who share records with the FBI having direct acces to our criminal records.....now it's going to be a super police force to cover europe....

I thought we said no to Europe.....

Fianna Fail is selling this countrys Soverinty out....#£#kers...

The sooner the Irish People kick out these god for saken politican out the better....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

We said no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Police forces on both sides would have absolutly no trouble keeping track of these disqualified driving offenders with all the CCTV, new RFID toll plaza chips and ANPR systems dotted throughout Ireland and Gt Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Was it actually that big of an issue in the first place to have to come up with this scheme?

I've never heard of lots of banned UK drivers moving to Ireland so that they can drive. And tbh, I'm alright with that. Second chances and all. Plus we have our own system to ensure public safty from motorists.

I'd like to hope that only marked licences will be shared and not an entire nations collection of vehcicle licences.

tuxy wrote: »
    We said no such thing.

You mighten have but I did, I don't rember being asked buy Biffo did he mind if he shared our personal information with the UK, NI, Europe and United States...

Christ were a little Island do we really need all this crap from outside:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You mighten have but I did, I don't rember being asked buy Biffo did he mind if he shared our personal information with the UK, NI, Europe and United States...

Christ were a little Island do we really need all this crap from outside:pac:

You're totally scare mongering. We don't know for sure what information is being shared. From the ops post , it would appear the information is only being shared on disqualified drivers.

We don't know for sure what information is being shared.

Exactly, but I do know when you link some computers together the possibilities are endless:D

It's a step in the wrong direction, it's been billed as public saftey but there's something far more sinister going on...

Exactly, but I do know when you link some computers together the possibilities are endless:D

It's a step in the wrong direction, it's been billed as public saftey but there's something far more sinister going on...
    Welcome to the Police state.

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/12432/ANPR_Camera-L.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp%3FstoryId%3D12432&h=374&w=265&sz=18&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=toaiDK9Ty7JxaM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dautomatic%2Bnumber%2Brecognition%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Police forces on both sides would have absolutly no trouble keeping track of these disqualified driving offenders with all the CCTV, new RFID toll plaza chips and ANPR systems dotted throughout Ireland and Gt Britain.

Cars and drivers have become one now, have they?

MYOB wrote: »
    Cars and drivers have become one now, have they?
    You have been hiding under a rock for the last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...FBI .. super police force to cover europe....I thought we said no to Europe.....Biffo ... United States...crap from outside...something far more sinister going on...

Tinfoil hats at the ready :D

If you're banned from driving in one country, you shouldn't be able to drive in another.

Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yes it's a step way to far...the UK police who share records with the FBI having direct acces to our criminal records.....now it's going to be a super police force to cover europe....

Fianna Fail is selling this countrys Soverinty out....#£#kers...

The sooner the Irish People kick out these god for saken politican out the better....:(

Scarey times alright, we're being sold out by the day by these muppets who couldn't run a race never mind a country.:mad:

junkyard wrote: »
    Scarey times alright, we're being sold out by the day by these muppets who couldn't run a race never mind a country.:mad:
    If Brian Cowen cannot get the New World Order in through the main gate he will get it in through the back door by slipping in these small underhand police deals with foreign countries just like what he did today.

You have been hiding under a rock for the last two years.

Thats not an explanation

I own one car, I have insurance which lets me drive other insured cars with permission; I have access to pool vans in work so on business trips I could be driving one of ten different vans of three different makes. There is no way by RFID or ANPR to determine who the hell I am when I'm driving - only the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

peasant wrote: »
    Tinfoil hats at the ready :D

If you're banned from driving in one country, you shouldn't be able to drive in another.

Simple really.
    Fully agree. Think this is great news personally.

Thats not an explanation

I own one car, I have insurance which lets me drive other insured cars with permission; I have access to pool vans in work so on business trips I could be driving one of ten different vans of three different makes. There is no way by RFID or ANPR to determine who the hell I am when I'm driving - only the vehicle.
    That could possibly change and I wouldn't put a pass on it. It changed with the Norwich Union a number of years ago when they ditched the open rider policy for motorcyclists. I am currently restricted to a commercial van policy that restricts me to just my own van, if I need to change I have to notify them immediatly.

Once again, you've not made a single point to back up why you're claiming they can pin point a specific vehicle to a specific driving licence...

Once again, you've not made a single point to back up why you're claiming they can pin point a specific vehicle to a specific driving licence...
    Maybe not now but things could change such as changes in open driver insurance policies. If the license plate shows up any irregularities such as default tax, having insurance lapsed, or be stolen etc it will triggers alarm bells.

The system is already installed in cop cars using cameras with ANPR in the UK for the last three years and the Gardai are due the same system here very soon (If not already) . You can only get away driving on dodgy screeds for so long and it catches up. It is getting more difficult all the time. Any driver who attempts to drive who holds a ban is a bloody idiot because he is technically uninsured.

Things 'could change' yet in your original post you implied, nay, stated that it had happened years ago.

Could you drop the conspiracy theories please?

Things 'could change' yet in your original post you implied, nay, stated that it had happened years ago.

Could you drop the conspiracy theories please?

Nothing conspiring about all this. Wake up to reality. :rolleyes:

An article from the Irish Times about ANPR bering introduced by an Gardai two years ago.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0509/1178623505616.html

Privacy concerns over ANPR used by An Gardai
    http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2005/12/garda-traffic-surveillance-privacy.html

ANPR being rolled out nationwide in the UK
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/21/number_plate_recognition_poised/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 lolipop2005

Ronanom wrote: »
    Aswell - different countries have different rules of the road etc. - for example you might be over the limit in Ireland when you get put off the road but another country might have a different blood / alcohol limit...

There is no country with a higher blood alcohol limit than Ireland, UK, Canada, NZ and anyone else that has 0.08% limit - So if you are over the limit here you over the limit everywhere....

I agree that this is a good thing - there are drivers from the NI that are banned in UK and are driving on our roads and vice versa. I'd to see what the OP would say if one of these drivers were to cause an accident harming one of their loved ones.

Advertisement