Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor tax question

Options
  • 26-06-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

ok here goes..

Bought a car on 10/05/08 from garage.Tax was out of date so I had to wait for change of ownership to go thruogh{logbook} before I could tax my new car.
    I changed over insurance from my old car and this insurance ran out on 08/06/08.I then changed insurance companies and recieved my new insurance cert on 08/06/08.I was stopped at a check point 19/06/08 and was asked why I had no valid tax disk,I explained I was waiting for the log book and I would do it the day it arrived,I showed the guard the reciept from the garage to prove I wasnt pulling a fast one.He took my details and on I went.

On 24/06/08 I recieved a fine in the post for 60 euro for not displaying a tax disk{dont get me started}.I was pissed of as I still hadnt recieved my log book so I rang the garage and they told me they had sent it but it was prob lost in the post.He told me he would apply for a new log book and get it sent directly to my house within the next 5 working days.He also told my that I would have to put my name and date on to the logbook and send it off to Shannon.From the time I bought the car 10/05/08 it has still been registured to the garage,and will be until I recieved the log book and send it off to Shannon

My questions are

Do I have to pay the fine as its still registured to the garage.

Would I have to pay back tax from may or from when I sign and date the log book,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm affraid the you were driving without tax. In the eyes of the law there is no excuses :mad:

The second question...not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you only pay tax from the date of the change of ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

the date of ownership change will be from 1st july but I did buy and insure the car in my name from 10th may.
    Records will show these to facts

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the change of ownership date on the VRC is the date you owe the tax from. as for the fine, it's your own problem, the garage didn't force you to drive the car. you could have brought the completed VLC to the tax office and taxed it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I think you have to tax it back till the last tax was expired unless you get the tax form signed by the Gardaí that the car was off the road during that time, or in effect that you were not driving the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You are only liable for tax from the date of change of ownership. The paper form has all the details; you can fill a period of non-taxation and give a reason that it was off the road or under previous ownership.

As for the fine; you could appeal it based on the circumstances (could go either way), you could ask the dealer to reimburse you (good luck there!) or you could bite the bullet and pay up.

Advertisement