Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain V Germany

• 26-06-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it looks like it could be a very good game to be honest, the nearly men and the ever presents!

is this the year Spain realise some of their potential?

I know its early but sure what the hell! :D

Who Will Win The Finals 39 votes

Spain
    0%
    Germany
    100%
    TwoShedsJacksondardozVokesDont be at yourselfPepe LeFritskaimeraBigConLafortezzamachiavellianmesionnachguccikmart6ErinGoBrathSherifu445279.ieMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]~Rebel~kinaldoDavei141 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Germany
    big large middle finger over the return key?? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Germany
    Spain for me, carrying a lot more momentum than Germany! Depends if Fabregas is playing though!

Villa will be playing, he was jumping around during the goal celebrations and after the game, so the leg injury or whatever it was must be gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Germany - they will be dull, dour determined and will win. :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Like i've said all along, it's Spain for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Villa out of the final

• Advertisement

Germany
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Villa out of the final
    Link?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

monkey9 wrote: »
    Villa out of the final

Youch. 4-5-1 with Fabregas starting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

kmart6 wrote: »
    Link?!

Bill said it just before coverage finished on RTE. Will be big loss if it is true.

Germany
    Tusky wrote: »
    Youch. 4-5-1 with Fabregas starting ?
    Well that'll be the obvious selection, but I wouldn't believe anything that comes out about Villa tonight, I'm sure he'll be assessed tomorrow!

Germany
    darkskol wrote: »
    Bill said it just before coverage finished on RTE. Will be big loss if it is true.
    Yeah I think I'll wait for something a bit more solid than Bill saying it! He supposedly went off with a leg injury yet he was jumping around celebrating....so like I just said I'll be waiting till tomorrow to believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Germany
    Spain have played the better football throughout the tournament so hopeully they'll do the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in terms of playing good football, spain have the upper hand, but the germans can never be discounted. if they can sort out their defence and give lehman some talent pills, they could pull it off.

though i have a horrible feeling this one could be decided outside of the 90minutes... which is always awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Germany
    I hope Spain go and win it but to see Dunphys reaction if Germany win would be priceless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

id bet that quite a few people want Germany to win purely to watch Eamonn after it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kryogen wrote: »
    id bet that quite a few people want Germany to win purely to watch Eamonn after it!

Well that and the fact that I'll pick up €150 if thet do :D

yeah i backed them myself before the tourny, what price did you get on them btw? but i have been rooting against them in the last game so i dunno, i guess i have to support them but i reckon i will be winning a couple of my other bets anyway so i dont care as much about this bet! i really wanted Turkey to make the final

Then we would have had some party!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's not a bet, it's a competition we run in work based on predicting all the results of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Germany
    Heart says Spain, but Germany seem to thrive in these tournaments, so they'll be tough to beat.

Villa's absense could be a deciding factor. Torres hasn't brought his shooting boots, so Spain may opt to change the system, or play Guiza up front with Torres.

It should be a good game in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mad Jens to be the hero imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Spain will get steamrolled by the efficient German machine

• Advertisement

I think it is a really close contest tbh, the German counter attack could work very well against this Spanish team......

But i think the Spanish attack could do brilliantly against the Twin Towers at the back for Germany, they are so slow and clumsy they could be deciding factor tbh

I just hope its a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Germany have, with the exception of the Portugal match, played utter muck so far. Its going to be an interesting match and I hope they win, but they'll have to do something drastic. I really thought it was going to be a Germany v Russia final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

If only the match wasn't on Sunday, it would be nice to watch the match with a few boardsies

That said, Spain to WIN!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Germany
    Heart says Spain, head says Germany...come on heart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My head says Spain but my wallet is hoping Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Germany
    When I saw Germany stutter thru the group I said the jammy gits will make the final;

Good thing I have Spain to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Hoping Spain do it with nando banging in a brace:),but head says the Germans will be to strong for them and will win it:(....would only like Germany to win so Dunphy looks like the knob he is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

if Fabregas starts or plays early then i say spain ,but other wise germany,spain played there there best last night,russia where very poor,germany are funny to call, so would say spain have edge if fabregas plays

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gomez to score the winner in the 87th minute after Ballack opens the scoring with a freakishly deflected free-kick for a contentiously-awarded trip on Klose and Ruben de la Red equalises with a solo run-and-thump effort just after half-time (Ramos injured in the 45th in a clash with Mertesacker).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont mind which team wins it really, as long as its a good final. I hope its a good game, as it has the potential to be. A lot will depend on Spain's attitude and approach. If they 'bottle it' and are nervous, they will play into Germany's hands. The Germans are playing with a lot of confidence which will help them. A big test for Spain will be if they go a goal behind. Will they be able to come back from such a situation mentally? Even if a goal up and should Germany get an equaliser, the confidence pendulum would in that case be very much in Germany's favour.

Like a lot of people, my heart says Spain, but my head says Germany. It would also be good to see Torres sparkle as he has underperformed really, although if Germany defend deep which they are likely to do, then he may not get many chances that he can exploit.

Paddypower sees it thus:
    Spain 8 - 13
    Germany 5 - 4

There should be goals, as both defences have frailities. Cassilas is stonger than Lehman.

Tough to call, either way, enjoy.

Redspider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Think Germany will win. Spain wont get as much space in midfield as they did last night. Villa is a big lose as he is spains best striker in the system they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Germany
    Villa definitely out -

Injured Villa out of Euro final

Spain's David Villa will miss Sunday's Euro 2008 final against Germany after suffering a thigh problem in the semi-final win over Russia.

The 26-year-old striker came off after 34 minutes of Spain's 3-0 victory after injuring himself taking a free-kick.

"Now I have to enjoy the show from outside," said Villa, who is top scorer at the tournament with four goals.

"To play on Sunday would be a lottery - I would do it even if I had to play on one leg but this is a team."

He added: "There are other players who will do better 100% than one who is injured.

"At the start I was really upset because I knew it was going to be very difficult to play in the final if we got there.

"I just want to enjoy Sunday and celebrate winning the European Championship with everyone else.

"This is an achievement for the whole squad and we want to take the glory on Sunday."

Spain coach Luis Aragones revealed that although Villa's injury was not serious, it would rule him out of the match against Germany at the Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna.

"Villa will miss the final," he stated. "It's not serious but he'll miss the final because he has a pull."

The Valencia striker was replaced by Cesc Fabregas, who had a hand in Spain's second and third goals, first setting up Dani Guiza and then David Silva, after Xavi had given them the lead.

Fabregas has featured in all of Spain's Euro 2008 games, mainly as a substitute, and Aragones has hinted that the Arsenal midfielder may replace Villa for the final.

"I know how well he can perform, he is a great player like others in our squad," said Aragones.

"It's better for numbers and pressure (to have an extra midfielder) and that is how Xavi scored his goal. The point is to make them feel free."

Fabregas is raring to go if called upon and said: "I am here when the manager needs me.

"It is good, we came here to win the tournament and we got to the final, which I think is the most difficult thing.

"In the final anything can happen, a lot of things can influence the game."

Surely Cesc will start instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why the hell isn't this at the top of the forum?

i see the papers today were saying Ballack's a major doubt. any confirmation on this yet?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Germany
    Two of my favourite teams in the tournament are in the final, so it's win win for me!

Hoping it's a good game. I expect Spain to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Germany
    2-1 to spain in ET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Hoping Germany win , I hate spain for some reason, I have never liked them, I feel the same about Portugal.

i'm actually really conflicted over this. normally i dislike Spain but i love Cesc as a player and would really love to see him win. Having said that, i've been impressed by how Low has managed to scrape this limited German team through and feel as a manager he deserves to win it more than Aragones, who's made some mad decisions at times.

i'll just sit back and watch with me bottle of beer in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I want Spain to win but think Germany are gonna do it.

I think both teams have virtually the same strenghts and weaknesses with Spain having the stonger individuals but the Germans work better as a team and are that bit stronger from a mental perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Germany
    Spain. Put a tenner on them at start of the tournament.
    Also put a tenner on Torres to be top scorer. What's the chances of a hatrick from him tonight and Podolski not scoring :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Germany
    Spain must win or i'll be upset. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Germany
    I really hope Spain do it this time around. They've always promised so much going into previous tournaments and then blown it in the 2nd round or the 1/4's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Come on Germany!

Come on Germany!

I would have thought you'd be up for Spain for some reason. why Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Come on GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!

right lads, coverage has started. prepare your beverages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Germany
    DeadSkin wrote: »
    Spain. Put a tenner on them at start of the tournament.
    Also put a tenner on Torres to be top scorer. What's the chances of a hatrick from him tonight and Podolski not scoring :p

Same here, on the Torres bet! Wonder will Aragones leave him on for more thank 65mins tonight?

Spain are probably playing better football, have a stronger attack, and i think have the strength in middle to compete with the Germans. So obviously Germany will win, because they are Germans, and will do what it takes to win.

I want Spain to win, hope its entertaining, but think the Germans will edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Would love Spain to win giving their attacking flair, but gonna back the Germans and their industry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Hopefully Spain will win tonight but can see the Germans nicking one from a set piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Germany
    If Spain play to their potential (or even close to it) then they will win. The Germans are the last team you would want to meet in the final of this nature and they can prevail if Spain get stagefright.
    I am hoping for a classic (2-1) but would not be surprised if the Germans play for penos and prevail that way

Gun to head says Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

All the Spanish need to do is not choke.

The Dutch choked. The Russians choked. Germany never choked but never played particularly brilliant football either. The Turks never choked, which makes it all the more unfortunate that they didnt win. If the Spaniards can avoid bottling it after such a successful run in the same way the Dutch and Russians did, it is for the taking.

14 euro of bets spread solely on Spain :) Predicting the likes of 3-0 or 3-1 myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement