Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain V Germany

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Germany
    I think Torres might have got official MOM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Glad to see Spain win. Glad I was wrong about Germany too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Germany
    kerash wrote: »
    That was great, but no more Liam, nooooooooo you cant brake them up :(
    Lol @ Apre Match!!!
    I hope they get Souness to replace Liamo, Dunphy and him have good arguements plus I really like him as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Decent final. Delighted to see Spain win, better team by a good margin.

Can anyone tell me what Ramos had on his t-shirt?

It said 'Siempre Con Nosotros' - Always with us, (I think. Haven't been learning spanish too long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Yes well done to Spain tonight, they did really deserve it overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

We love you Chippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Sad to see Brady go.
    Who'll stop Dunphy's ''Villareal are better than any German team'' stuff now?
    I'm not even gonna start on that...

I liked that Dunpy said that the talk about German menta strength is nonsense. Its very disrespectful to players like Ballack, Lamn and Schweinsteiger. Its basically ''well your **** but you have good mental strength so that is why you succeed.

Bit disspointed thusspakeblixa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Super ending to a super tournament. I feel a bit sad its over! I'll miss Liam too.

Congrats to Spain, nice to see the best team in the tournament win it rather than get robbed. I was up for Germany since I chose to support them at the start and wasnt gonna be fickle but I am delighted for the Barca boys.

That was the best game Torres had all tournament and its the 1st time he;s played without Villa. Great finish too.

Germany were just outclassed plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I liked that Dunpy said that the talk about German menta strength is nonsense. Its very disrespectful to players like Ballack, Lamn and Schweinsteiger. Its basically ''well your **** but you have good mental strength so that is why you succeed.

Bit disspointed thusspakeblixa?
    I am a bit dissapointed yeah... but tbh Germany didn't deserve a win
    Spain were the better side by far and really deserve their success. And as well, it's only been 12 years since Germany won something, I can still remember it. Whereas it's been 44 long years for Spain. I'm happy for Spain and their people.
    Anyway I was born and raised here, I'll be happy if Ireland get through to 2010!

Want to tell me your life story? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Big well done to Spain.Made up for Nando.Was brilliant tonight and had a good tournament all in all.Special mention for Alonso who came on and did a class job in all games.Also a big well done to the Germans,sure they dont play the sweetest of football at times but you have to admire and respect them for their ability to come up with the goods and give themselves a chance to win tournament after tournament.Harse season on Ballack.Back to Spain.With the young talent these guys have coming through think i'll be down the bookies tomorrow as they are sure to be onfire come the next world cup:). P.S.....How in the hell did Northern Ireland beat those guys in Qualifying:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Well done to them, was hoping for 3-0 for my bets but ah well I broke even.

btw Dunphy has mentioned this Catalan thing at least twice, but never followed through on what his point is :confused: It is like an Ireland match where he ends "Well, Keane....from Dublin....Dunne, he is from Dublin....Duff, Dublin Bill"

Catalonia is fairly big, without looking up the population Id reckon 3 out of 14 players on the pitch is a proportional representation. Whats he on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

shane86 wrote: »
    Well done to them, was hoping for 3-0 for my bets but ah well I broke even.

btw Dunphy has mentioned this Catalan thing at least twice, but never followed through on what his point is :confused: It is like an Ireland match where he ends "Well, Keane....from Dublin....Dunne, he is from Dublin....Duff, Dublin Bill"

Catalonia is fairly big, without looking up the population Id reckon 3 out of 14 players on the pitch is a proportional representation. Whats he on about?

Dunphy is a mug.FFS he roles off the top clubs in Europe and mentions villareal and leaves out Liverpool:rolleyes:.Yeah Eamo because Liverpool have a *****y European record dont they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Torres sacraficed the usual strong points of his game when he was playing with Villa in a 4-4-2, he still played well, he wasnt the focus instead he was a cog in the wheel, and did very well within that, getting a goal and a couple of assists as spain won every game.

His ego was not so much that he was happy to do wat was best for the team.

tonight he was needed to step up as the lone striker with Villas injury and he did it perfectly having an amazing game and scoring the winning goal.

that is testament to how great a player he truely is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Germany
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    Dunphy is a mug.FFS he roles off the top clubs in Europe and mentions villareal and leaves out Liverpool:rolleyes:.Yeah Eamo because Liverpool have a *****y European record dont they

Well to be fair Villareal are a better team than Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

3 finals lost for Ballack this season, must be sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Spain 1-0 Germany

So, the Spanish have won at last after decades of nearly-rans, and sometimes woeful under-performances in tournaments of "yore". They are reasonably worthy winners this time though and its good for them and for football after 44 years of wait. They were better in the final itself than Germany but only marginally so.

It wasnt a classic final, just okay I thought. Spain created more of the chances, but werent able to finish that many and Germany were spluttering and not creating as they can. Ballack may have been slightly injured for the match. I was wondering before-hand would Lehman guffaw, and for the goal he was culpable. I agree with Giles that he should have dived to his right and not to his left. Lahm was also culpable, but well done to Torres to nip in and put it away. Torres cant have been happy about being subbed later, nor could Fabregas. Torres deserved another earlier goal with that header that came off the foot of the post with Lehman beaten. To be fair to Lehman, he made a very good save from a close-range deflection of one of the "M"-defenders.

Having Lahm off for the 2nd-half reduced Germany's attacking capability and they didnt get the crosses going and generate those dangerous heading situations, a German strength. Taking Klose off was the nail in the coffin for me. As for the sending off claim, it was possible, at least a yellow should have been shown to both players for squaring up to each other with their heads. I think Lehman has a case that the ref did let Spain off to some extent, but it wasnt a case of a fix, which Lehman also qualified in his post-match statement. By the way, seemingly Torres hadnt realised that Spain had won it in 1964, as he thought they had never won anything, which is much like the rest of the Spanish population I expect. Few remember 1964 or eulogise about that feat as it paled in comparison to what Real Madrid were doing.

But were Spain the best team in the tournament? Not by a clear margin, thats for sure. They were up there, yes, but its not as if they pulverised everybody. And Dunphy's point doesnt stand up - they may have been in the tougher half of the draw, but they didnt meet Holland, nor did they meet Portugal. They avoided two of the best teams. They barely got past Italy, on penalties and just scraped 1-0 past Germany. The 4-1 and the 3-0 wins over Russia were good, but that was their highlights. However, having said all that, tournaments are like this and I wouldnt take anything away from Spain. They as a nation deserve their win and its good for football. The Germans have won it 3 times already and this time it would not have seen them at their best either, so overall, it was a good result for the sport and for the neutral.

Its hards to believe that N.Ireland beat Spain in the qualifiers, 3-2, hat-trick to Healy. Spain also lost to Sweden, barely beat N.Ireland and Iceland and drew away to Iceland. "They were in an easy qualifying group, Billlllllll" ;-) They were hardly world-beaters in qualifying.

I expect Spain to go back to their under-performing again and would NOT bet on them to win the World Cup.

Overall, a good enough tournament with some good matches.

Now, for a break ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Absolutely overjoyed... Was partying with the Spanish all night... The pub I was in had the place split into two sides, one of the Spanish and one for the Germans... During the celebrations I joined in on a Conga line and everything... Great time for Spanish football!!!!

=)

They did it for you Puerta... And I never doubted them for a second... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement