Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

200,000 used cars on our forecourts???

Options
  • 26-06-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe this ststistic when I heard it the other day. Are they that stubborn that they won't at any cost drop the price of the cars on the forecourts and try and shift a few motors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They'll be shifting alright, garages are going belly up all over the place. You'll get your cheap cars then but there might'nt be any garages to take them back to when things go wrong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bbability wrote: »
    I couldn't believe this ststistic when I heard it the other day. Are they that stubborn that they won't at any cost drop the price of the cars on the forecourts and try and shift a few motors?

Have you considered nobody wants a good chunk of those cars at any price...even free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I was up at a car dealer on the southside today looking at a 03' 3 series - this one - http://www.fostermotorco.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1072486. I told the salesman that I had a 99' Clio to trade in. He offered me, wait for it.... 2.5k :D Sweet!. How in ever a bit above my price range but still there's value to be had. Realistically one would want to be getting the car above for about 14 - 14.5k with trade in. Just like the way house prices are going, god knows what price some cars are being sold for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

A colleague just bought a low-mileage '05 E-class Kompressor with Service, Warranty and 4 new tyres for €20k. The very cheapest high-mileage dealer one on carzone is €25k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Methinks the Dealers have been finally caught with their pants down , they are never going to sell those cars, even if they dropped the price by a few grand. The problem with Ireland is there is no one to buy the older cars since the nct came in. In France , England and many european countries you will still see the odd pre 00 car but in Ireland theyre gone, even though these cars are sometimes more reliable than their electronically minded newer ones. ::D The Irish motor industry are going to have to wake up and be a bit more active and face the challenge....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Used cars, like new cars, are an absolute rip over here. Glad to hear there's so many sitting there though, costing the dealers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Rb wrote: »
    Used cars, like new cars, are an absolute rip over here. Glad to hear there's so many sitting there though, costing the dealers money.
    My old lady has a 06 tdi jetta comfortline
    Lookin to trade for the same and has been hearing daft figures.
    She called into a skoda dealership and was quoted 14000 with her own car for a new superb!
    Keep in mind the superb is the same price as the jetta...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

slideways wrote: »
    My old lady has a 06 tdi jetta comfortline
    Lookin to trade for the same and has been hearing daft figures.
    She called into a skoda dealership and was quoted 14000 with her own car for a new superb!
    Keep in mind the superb is the same price as the jetta...

Indeed. I was offered 3k for a 2003 Ford Focus TDCi against a new model the other day :)

They had a 2004 Focus 1.4 petrol in the forecourt and wanted €13,000 for it.

I got so confused I just went home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They've some cheek.

Mind you, just spotted this, very competitively priced, will put my offer in :)

Rb wrote: »
    They've some cheek.

Mind you, just spotted this, very competitively priced, will put my offer in :)
    I hope you get it....
    Karma is a wonderful thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ckecking on carzone I noticed 1 smallish dealership has dropped €1500 off the asking prices of 3/4 weeks ago.

Hearing of 1 large (Ford) dealer that has well over 200 secondhand cars which will be dropped by anything up to €2k shortly .

While I have little sympathy for the dealers I can understand their position with the bank etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

would be curious to see where you got that figure from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Back in the mid 90ies I can remember going to Al Hayes Motors in Portumna. He would have fields and fields of used motors dating back to the early 80ies and would sooner let them rot away than let them go below the cost that he wanted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Back in the mid 90ies I can remember going to Al Hayes Motors in Portumna. He would have fields and fields of used motors dating back to the early 80ies and would sooner let them rot away than let them go below the cost that he wanted on them.

Nothing's changed there! The shoddy old "showroom" has been replaced with your standard VW glasshouse, but the 1000's of cars new and old parked ontop of one another are still a feature!

I think he has over 400 listed on carzone now.. mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

We definitely have too many cars for the population and I believe it is somewhat related to some peoples need to not have a more than two year old car.

I know a good few people who changed their two year old cars last year for equivalent models, ie same make, model, engine, just a different colour :confused:

The only reason I change car is too move on to something better or if I needed more space or something, but just changing for the sake of changing is ridiculous IMO.

But, I was talking to a dealer owner the other day and he was saying that his sales are definitely down on the fist half of this this (due to new VRT changes or just finacial tightening or whatever) but he says that his parts department sales were up over 20%, so mabye people will be holding on to their cars for longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

and he has another one in Tuam!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

That's give or take 5mil eur worth of cars in stock!!! :eek:

slideways wrote: »
    I think he has over 400 listed on carzone now.. mental
    He would still let them rot before he would let them go below the marked price.

Just checked its 427...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I took a gander at some of the cars on his forecourt a few months ago. Rough as a badgers arse would be a kind way of describing a lot of what I glanced over.

He actually had a few used cars inside in the fancy glasshouse... including a '07 Golf GTI, which was in shabby condition to say the least (every wheel scuffed, dings, scratches, musty grubby interior!)... and I see he still has it for sale on carzone. I wonder why!

I can't believe he sells anything with the way he presents his stock to be honest.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I took a gander at some of the cars on his forecourt a few months ago. Rough as a badgers arse would be a kind way of describing a lot of what I glanced over.

He actually had a few used cars inside in the fancy glasshouse... including a '07 Golf GTI, which was in shabby condition to say the least (every wheel scuffed, dings, scratches, musty grubby interior!)... and I see he still has it for sale on carzone. I wonder why!

I can't believe he sells anything with the way he presents his stock to be honest.
    He would probably make more scrapping them. That guys so loaded he can afford to have them rotting away. I think he dose this to spite everyone, last time I was there was before the economic boom/ pre NCT, and good second hand cars were scarse. I had a good look and ended up going elsewhere because he wanted too much for the heaps he was selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I always thought if a car was reduced, or if the dealer was having a sale or worse a Clearance, that the reduced cars must have something wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A bit like Duffy's scrapyard then. When he was in Smithfield, I saw him smash a car window with a hammer when a guy tried to haggle him down from his asking price. He then told the punter where to go.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Also with the downturn in the economy there will be lots of foreign nationals going home leaving a huge surplus of bangers on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

But its not just bangers that can't be sold. I had an Avensis 06 for sale for 2 months on Carzone and only 2 calls, and it was priced down at the bottom end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

My frinds 06 Laguna was first advertised at 18k. Eventually sold for 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

was listening to the last word 2 days ago and there was a guy on from the motor industry and a fine gael TD and they seem to be saying that all these dodgy Imports that have been crashed and written off are finding there way over here and are causing the irish motor industry to collapse. And that the government should bring out tougher legislation to stop it!! And that the UK import will be lower value than an irish car because of this and also at trade-in time.

What a load of BS!!

i would be more likely to trust a HPI check than an Irish equavlant for starters

Advertisement