Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRTS Theory Exam, July 9th

• 26-06-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Anyone else doing it? I'm succeeding in procrastinating as far as study is concerned!

Question about the sample paper: where does each section begin and end? It all seems to be marked as Section C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

Hi,

A guy told me about the paper not being right, i thought he had just failed to notice the "section" at the top. But it is indeed all marked as section c.

after a bit of digging through the paper i found the following:
    Section A (35 Questions)
    Section B (15 Questions)
    Section C (10 Questions)

section a will be Q 1 - 34
    section B will be Q 35 - 49
    section C will be Q 50 - 60

Best of luck in the exam, and ill hope to hear you on the air! I done the exam this time last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Gonna wait til I get my license before I splash out on a transceiver. I might even see if I can build some sort of simple rig..

i sent an e-mail last night and go t the sample paper fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Lol I too have noticed this. In the Galway VHF Group, the support is fantastic! Being helped by your friends is a major plus

the galway group is the envy (in my eyes) of all other groups. They really do a fanastic job. Somthing i soon hope to set up in donegal.

• Advertisement

So anyone got any tips for the exam?

It's bizarre - the 'tick the box' is very new, and you can't study past papers (well, you can) but it's the same as massively changing the Leaving Cert...same core knowledge, but as I've found in so many exam situations, it's the execution thereof that is key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Good luck to all the candidates on Wednesday, Looking forward to working you on air in the Autumn.

yes guys, best of luck!! i done this a year ago, i know how it feels!!

Ill give you a run down of the procedure, it might make it less (or more) scary.

You will go in through the front doors of the offices, and sign your name on a register, you will then take a lift to the correct floor, where you will come out and turn right. Coming to a locked door, press the intercom buton and it will open. You walk inside and go up to the reception desk, where you get a nametag. After a while of loitering (because you will be there at least 15 mins early wont you ;) ) and exchanging notes, Sean will come out and direct you into the hall, which is a small conference room with single seats and tables layed out.
    Sean will then come around and check everyones id, to make sure john is really john! Someone will then go and fetch the papers, and 2 people will sign the package to show they haven't been opened.

The papers are then handed out. DONT open them until you are told to do so, some did last year, and got a chewing. After you have written your name and all on the front, sean will give the instruction to start.

Best of luck, and i hope to hear a few new faces on the air......upon review, that statement makes no sense, but i will leave it there for the humor! :P

I've gone through a lot of personal stuff in the last two weeks, and I don't know if I'll actually make the exam (as in pass it), but at least I'll give it a try. Fullheartedly.

Otherwise, back to 27.555 :p

L

• Advertisement

Tbh I'm kinda looking forward to it in a way. Had you asked me a year ago if I wanted a license I would have said no, I'm happy SWLing. But here I am trying to make sure I remember how call signs are when going abroad, and how a bandpass equation is different to an oscillator equation!

Thanks for the info and good wishes. Might see some of ye there (I'll be the hairy guy with tents and camping equipment on his back - going to a certain even later that day lol).

abroad, just put the callsign of the country you're in, and then yours.

GM/EIxXXX/M for scotland in your car

L

Best of luck at the "certain event" ill sit your exam for you if you gimme your ticket :P

On that note (GM/), I have some haggis and Irn Bru in the fridge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Best wishes to everyone tomorrow.

Get a good sleep tonight!

Hope I hear you on the waves.

Anyone getting hte 9am bus from Galway? 3 of us from the VHF group are. Look for the mad nuts with books strewn about the back of the bus!

Right! Think I'm studied up ("sure if I don't know it now I'll never know it"-type logic). Will be on a bus in the morning with a few notes scrawled on some paper, but I've a feeling I'll probably sleep instead of revise...

I'm sure I'll see a few of ye around tomorrow. Best of luck to all anyway, hope to be chattin to ye on the airwaves soon!

where you heading up from

Coming from Co Louth.

Wasn;t so bad! Few snide regs q's, but largely fine,

Now, the obscene waiting time

L

• Advertisement

Hi guys, im trying to make better resources for people learning to take the exam in areas other than Galway and mayo :P. It would be a great help if anyone who can remember any questions to e-mail me Paul(at)Paulsnet.org Even you cant remember all the multiple choices, or you can only remember the answers, anything is a help!!

73s and hope it turns out good for you all!!
    paul.

There was a lot of emphasis on regulations, and I managed by fluke to guess a few that caught the others out lol

L

Just getting a chance to reply now. Exam went alright, but hard to know for sure what the end result might be! Some of them boiled down to guesses (hopefully good ones!)

Regs and ops was interesting. I know I've buggered up 5. If they try to mark it as 59% I'll be appealing. There is no way 15 x .6 is anything other than 9

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I hope all went well lads , we need a few more EIs on the low bands.

John

I passed! I'll be chattin' to you guys on the air!

Got the large white envelope too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Congrats. lads well done and well done to IRTS & Comreg for a speedy process of the results

looking forward to speaking you on air. 73

congrats lads. Congrats to comreg for the speedy results. The irts have always had the exams corrected within days.

So congrats to all.
    73, hope to hear you on the air.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads!

I'm doing some "window shopping" now for a semi-decent transceiver to get me started.

Advertisement