Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 08 Top scorer question

Options
  • 26-06-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I have two questions. I placed a bet on Spain to win the tournament with David Villa top scorer. Villa currently has 4 goals, Padolski has 3, Klose & Ballack have 2.

If Spain win on Sunday and Villa finishes the tournament joint top scorer, will my bet still be a winning one ?

Secondly, when I went to check my betting slip for the odds I realized that they arent written on it. Is this unusual ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I forgot to put the oddds on a bet I placed tonight by mistake, don't think it matters they scan the barcode on your slip and it will know what the odds where when the bet was put on. Talking about PP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

keen wrote: »
    I forgot to put the oddds on a bet I placed tonight by mistake, don't think it matters they scan the barcode on your slip and it will know what the odds where when the bet was put on. Talking about PP

Well theres no way for me to have known the odds as it was a winner + top scorer bet. Is it still the my responsibility to ask at the counter and write it down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I assume that it was a bet that the bookmaker was actually offering, and not just something you made up yourself and wrote on a docket?.
    If its the former then they'll pay out at the odds that were being offered at the time, though they'll be entitled to make a dead-heat reduction to the bet if Villa is only joint top-scorer.

If they weren't offering actual odds for this Spain/Villa combination, then they would be entitled to treat it as 2 singles (which may work in your favour obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

though they'll be entitled to make a dead-heat reduction to the bet if Villa is only joint top-scorer.

Spot on.

I assume that it was a bet that the bookmaker was actually offering, and not just something you made up yourself and wrote on a docket?.
    If its the former then they'll pay out at the odds that were being offered at the time, though they'll be entitled to make a dead-heat reduction to the bet if Villa is only joint top-scorer.

If they weren't offering actual odds for this Spain/Villa combination, then they would be entitled to treat it as 2 singles (which may work in your favour obviously).

It was a bet than they were offering, I just didnt check the odds on the day. The way its written down, its clear that its one bet.

How does dead-heat reduction work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I thought if you dont have the odds down they will give you the last odds that were available for him if he wins..Thats the way it is for Horses anyway :o

Tusky wrote: »
    How does dead-heat reduction work ?

Assuming the odds of the combinded double are about 40/1, this would be made up of maybe 6/1 Spain and ~5/1 Villa. So the Villa half of the bet would become ~5/2.

I'm only guessing at the 40/1 by the way, my gf cleverly threw out my Racing Post pullout so i don't know what sort of odds were being offered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

No, it would be half the stake at the full odds.

Crumbs wrote: »
    No, it would be half the stake at the full odds.

No this is wrong - because its a double and only one half of the double has deadheated. What you say would only apply if Villa deadheated and Spain also deadheated (match abandoned for some reason).

Edit: 3/4 of the stake at full odds might be the way they'd do it if Spain win and Villa dheats.

No this is wrong - because its a double and only one half of the double has deadheated. What you say would only apply if Villa deadheated and Spain also deadheated (match abandoned for some reason).

Edit: 3/4 of the stake at full odds might be the way they'd do it.
    I'm never wrong.

• Advertisement

I'm never wrong.

I'll hold my hands up, you are right. I should stop answering threads whilst playing poker, my brain can't multi-task :)
    1/2 stake at full odds is how it would work if they applied dead-heat rules.

As an aside...
    It seens a trifle unfair thinking about it as normally in a dead heat the bookie has to pay out on two results, whereas in this case they are unlikely to have taken a brass farthing on 'Spain to win, Podolski top scorer', in fact they may not have even priced it up.

Thanks for the help guys. I suppose I just have to hope that Spain win & Padolski doesnt score! I think Villa is injured for the game.

As an aside...
    It seens a trifle unfair thinking about it as normally in a dead heat the bookie has to pay out on two results, whereas in this case they are unlikely to have taken a brass farthing on 'Spain to win, Podolski top scorer', in fact they may not have even priced it up.
    If Torres was to get a hattrick (lol, not bloody likely :)), then 'Spain to win, Torres top scorer' would be a more realistic showing of why the dead heat rule applies.

And on the subject of Spain/Podolski, I think it's bad form the way bookies price up these special doubles. The related contingency of a bet like Spain/Villa or Spain/Torres means that it's fair to offer reduced odds rather than the accumulated odds of a straight double (example below). However, you'll never see a bookie offer increased odds for something like Spain/Podolski or Germany/Villa when they really should.

Example: If Spain were 6/1 to win before the start of the tournament and Villa was 20/1 for top scorer, then those odds accumulate to 146/1. But the offer on 'Spain to win, Villa top scorer' was probably something like 40/1.

Sucks that Villa is probably out injured. I'm on him at 20/1 for top scorer. :(

If Torres was to get a hattrick (lol, not bloody likely :)), then 'Spain to win, Torres top scorer' would be a more realistic showing of why the dead heat rule applies.

And on the subject of Spain/Podolski, I think it's bad form the way bookies price up these special doubles. The related contingency of a bet like Spain/Villa or Spain/Torres means that it's fair to offer reduced odds rather than the accumulated odds of a straight double (example below). However, you'll never see a bookie offer increased odds for something like Spain/Podolski or Germany/Villa when they really should.

Example: If Spain were 6/1 to win before the start of the tournament and Villa was 20/1 for top scorer, then those odds accumulate to 146/1. But the offer on 'Spain to win, Villa top scorer' was probably something like 40/1.

Sucks that Villa is probably out injured. I'm on him at 20/1 for top scorer. :(

I had Spain to win with Torres top scorer at 17/1 before the tournament - pretty crappy odds.

I also bet on Villa top scorer with Spain to win after the first game (in which he scored a hattrick) so I assume the odds arent great for that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Tusky wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. I suppose I just have to hope that Spain win & Padolski doesnt score! I think Villa is injured for the game.

I hope so too. I got Villa at 16/1 before the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 adrndmond

I got on this too a couple of weeks before the tournament.
    €5 on Villa & Spain @ 40/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

The bet was 40/1 with paddy power at the beggining of the tournament. I have 10 euro on it. Fingers crossed it comes in, still a long way to go. Germany could win, Spain could win 4-3 and podolski could score 2 or klose a hatrick. Alot of possibilities. Might spend 100 on covering my bet, unsure.

Alls well that ends well. Nice one Tusky and Kamaldinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Assuming the odds of the combinded double are about 40/1, this would be made up of maybe 6/1 Spain and ~5/1 Villa. So the Villa half of the bet would become ~5/2.

I'm only guessing at the 40/1 by the way, my gf cleverly threw out my Racing Post pullout so i don't know what sort of odds were being offered
    callaway92 wrote: »
    I thought if you dont have the odds down they will give you the last odds that were available for him if he wins..Thats the way it is for Horses anyway :o

If you don't have the odds down on the horse you get the SP, not the last available odds (which can be much lower due to in running if available)

A bookies could do this with a football bet also if they wished, SP being the bet before tourney starts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

For all sporting bets you only get the price that is offered at the time, not BP or SP like the horsies.

The reason why winner and top goalscorer odds are shorter than other double bets is because they are related bets i.e. Spain win so it is reasonable to presume that Torres or Villa are gonna have a better chance of being top goalscorer, so getting a 146/1 price or whatever would be pure madness from the bookies point of view!

Its the same reason why you couldn't do a normal double bet on a team to win and a player to score anytime/score first, instead it would have to be placed as a single wincast/scorecast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement