Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse Laptops

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Was in a carphone warehouse today and seen a big laptop and broadband display had just been set up...Whats the story with this..Are we gonna see the era of free laptops in Ireland like the UK. I asked one of the sales assistance what was the story and he told me he hadn't a clue.. Are they holding back. Has anyone any info on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt they would give away a laptop with a broadband connection. They may just be making a demo for mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i think u could do better ,thats not a great laptop and for a little extra u could get a better spec but its ok for 350 if u cant be bothered to look any further

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

BuffyBot wrote: »

Vista on 1gig of RAM? thiconuhohs9hisw5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

delllat wrote: »
    i think u could do better ,thats not a great laptop and for a little extra u could get a better spec but its ok for 350 if u cant be bothered to look any further
    the €349 price tag is not including a €49 delivery charge which i presume you will have to pay and it is also dependant on signing up to perlico which can cost another €49 for a wireless modem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Cpw are selling laptops now. Small ones, at 350 a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Phlann wrote: »
    Vista on 1gig of RAM? thiconuhohs9hisw5.gif

I have Vista on 1 gig of ram and surprisingly it works great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But not as well as Win2K or WinXp (with un-needed junk turned off) on 512M and a PIII 933MHz. :)

Intel have just announced that they are only updating a few users to Vista. (Perhaps ones that need to test drivers?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bros123 wrote: »
    I have Vista on 1 gig of ram and surprisingly it works great!!

Vista Basic, with aero and all the bells and whistles turned off. Vista Home Premium and above really struggle with 1Gb ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

watty wrote: »
    But not as well as Win2K or WinXp (with un-needed junk turned off) on 512M and a PIII 933MHz. :)

Intel have just announced that they are only updating a few users to Vista. (Perhaps ones that need to test drivers?).

Intel are waiting for a next verson of Windows to upgrade their PC's..Is this what you mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It'll not be Windows 7, as it turns out this is Vista MkII so as not to "waste the investment users have made in Vista ... drivers etc".

Intel promote Linux for their MID platform. I never thought I'd say this having used UNIX since 1985 and totally unimpressed (I even gave courses to Dell on RH6 Linux in 1999 and use Linux myself since 1997 till now), and tought Linux would never be fit for desktopp, Yer Granny could use the Linux on the Eee PC 900. She'd want her best reading glasses though.

I suspect for 1st time ever since Windows 286, a significant number of people will never upgrade their Win2000, XP or Server 2000 or Server 2003.

The emphasis on last year has been on commodity Laptops for Office or Consumer, Huge drop in desktop sales and only high end gamers going for high powered PCs. The successor to Win2K/Xp/2003 needs to use LESS RAM, Disk (SSD drives), and CPU (more battery life). The new Intel Atom CPU is sort of 1GHz PIII performance. MS needs an OS that is faster, uses less CPU and RAM and is genuinely easy to use.
    Vista needs about x3 the spec of XP and is no easier use and adds no feature needed by Buisness or Consumer. Actually it hardly even adds ANY real functionality not possible in XP pro. Vista Home Basic is less functional than XP pro.

Advertisement