Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This COULD Be Good For Fans Of The Real ECW

• 26-06-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/7526522

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/omgmomentoftheweek/2008/june22-28/7517286?zone=_index

Do you crave the Extreme? Well, then we have a cure for you as Joey Styles brings back the new and improved “OMG Moment of the Week.”

The Original ECW was known for the pure guts and determination shown by the extreme Superstars every time they stepped into the ring as well as the lengths they would go to secure a victory. No matter what, when you witnessed an ECW event, you were awestruck by the carnage, and nobody every questioned why Joey Styles would exclaim “OH MY GOD!”

This week’s “OMG Moment of the Week” rehashes the moment that elevated what most fans thought of extreme to the next level. Watch ECW Superstar Tommy Dreamer and “Primetime” Brian Lee beat each other to the bone in a Scaffold Match that brought the ECW name to new heights. It is no wonder why, after this match ended, the entire arena erupted into the classic ECW chant.

Make sure to come back next week as we look back at another extreme moment in ECW history that helped the brand secure a permanent spot in the hearts of hardcore wrestling fans.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

LET IT GO DUDE

Anyway Heyman wont be in Joey's headset to feed him lines so it'll be crap much like Joey's WWE stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The original ECW was known for garbage wrestling, dingy bingo halls, crap announcing, poor production values and Paul Heyman's rubber chequebook!

The promotion is dead, it's never going to return... let it go folks.
    Seriously who will let go first? ECW marks with the promotion, or Bret's grudge against Shawn.

Vote now! ;)
    VR!

rovert wrote: »
    LET IT GO DUDE

Ok rovert, now you're f*cking scaring me!
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

The original ECW was known for garbage wrestling, dingy bingo halls, crap announcing, poor production values and Paul Heyman's rubber chequebook!

The promotion is dead, it's never going to return... let it go folks.
    Seriously who will let go first? ECW marks with the promotion, or Bret's grudge against Shawn.

Vote now! ;)
    VR!

I know ill never let ecw go,two or three dvds shy of the whole set so i aint stopping now.

That scaffold match was five stars.

ECW! ECW! ECW!

• Advertisement

+1

(do you write VR! after every post? if you forget do you edit the post? and why do you do it in the first place? Just curious :o)

jeffk wrote: »
    I know ill never let ecw go,two or three dvds shy of the whole set so i aint stopping now.

Do you have the Best of Cactus Jack and Best of Dudley Boyz?

You gotta love the overdubbed elevator music on the ECW DVDs

I'll bet you went through every bargain bin in Ireland for em too! ;)
    VR!

Do you have the Best of Cactus Jack and Best of Dudley Boyz?

yup

VR!

No sadly i missed out on the record shop in bray and the pound world flogging em when the hassle over music royalties mad em DIRT cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The match is on Youtube anyway. Does Joey have anything interesting to add to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ECW was awful for the most part.

A roster full of spot monkeys and four or five decent wrestlers who'd only stay for a few months before going to WCW or WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Do you have the full sets of TV shows and handhelds?

A roster full of spot monkeys

and fat brawlers

No sadly i missed out on the record shop in bray and the pound world flogging em when the hassle over music royalties mad em DIRT cheap

Yeah, and it's not like we needed any more reasons to fast forward through New Jack matches!

VR!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Do you have the full sets of TV shows and handhelds?

The hardcore tv ones they did five of? and i dont knwo what your on about handhelds

VR!

Brings me back to the day I stumbled on a shop in ****ing Tullamore (i.e. hell)of all places selling ECW VHS for 3 pounds a pop.:D

Yeah, and it's not like we needed any more reasons to fast forward through New Jack matches!

VR!

With Greensleeves overdubbed as his music. :p

VR!

lol that is the worse part of it alright, well from a ecw mark viewpoint and of course losing sandmans entrance

and fat brawlers

Or a combination of both!

• Advertisement

The hardcore tv ones they did five of? and i dont knwo what your on about handhelds

ECW aired on TV under various guises from 1993 to 2000. You'll need to collect the ful season sets before you're fully complete.

As for the handhelds, I think they're owned by RF, or at least he claims to. they're ECW shows filmed on handheld camera, theres plenty floating about the net. you'll need them too.

Also what shows do you need?

LET IT GO DUDE

Anyway Heyman wont be in Joey's headset to feed him lines so it'll be crap much like Joey's WWE stint.

The only irony of curse is that for all the bull**** talked about how great Styles was in ECW, the single greatest moment he will ever have was the promo he cut on Vince once he signed up to WWE (before Backlash?), the one promotion he had digs at for years and swore he'd never work for. Hilarious.

ECW aired on TV under various guises from 1993 to 2000. You'll need to collect the ful season sets before you're fully complete.

As for the handhelds, I think they're owned by RF, or at least he claims to. they're ECW shows filmed on handheld camera, theres plenty floating about the net. you'll need them too.

Also what shows do you need?

Leave jeffk alone he only one day entered a poundshop with €7, leaving with ECW's entire DVD back catalogue and some past their sell by date Taz bars. He's hardcore.

The only irony of curse is that for all the bull**** talked about how great Styles was in ECW, the single greatest moment he will ever have was the promo he cut on Vince once he signed up to WWE (before Backlash?), the one promotion he had digs at for years and swore he'd never work for. Hilarious.

A position in WWE which paid less and required more travelling than his old job.

Mmmmmmmm Taz bars!!!!

:pac: - - - - - - o - -:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

What ones are you after?

I meant official dvds full set so,i have some of the fan cam one's alright and have the tv seres of 1998.Have a tape trader with the other tv years,but waiting to see how best to get 3 or 4 full sets of tv into ireland from america.

I need
    MASSACRE OF 34TH STREET
    WRESTLEPALOOZA 98
    HARDCORE TV 5 MENTAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Do you have Heatwave 98..If not..Purchase it

MASSACRE OF 34TH STREET
    WRESTLEPALOOZA 98

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDD shows from the PPV era it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Without sounding too pissed off, what the hell is Vinces problem he cant bring back the old style ECW. With ratings down he has to realise sooner or later the fans(well me) want to be entertained and am sick of this crap on the Tv. Does anyone think should the Raw rating drop to 2.0 or less wwe would consider making their programming better in any shape or form

Shaneomac wrote: »
    Without sounding too pissed off, what the hell is Vinces problem he cant bring back the old style ECW. With ratings down he has to realise sooner or later the fans(well me) want to be entertained and am sick of this crap on the Tv. Does anyone think should the Raw rating drop to 2.0 or less wwe would consider making their programming better in any shape or form

Oh god

Shaneomac wrote: »

The old style ECW sent a company bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Exactly what I was thinking. The old style ecw was too much of a niche product, it was never going to get huge ratings at that time. And once the two bigger companies started introducing elements into the mainstream ecw had no room to grow.

Eh no,the wrestling till the end keep full houses,it was the gross mismanagement of money and general lack of a sensible business person that done ecw.

Eh no,the wrestling till the end keep full houses,it was the gross mismanagement of money and general lack of a sensible business person that done ecw.

None of this has anything to do with why WWE doesnt do ECW's style.

• Advertisement

Wrestlers get hurt enough as it is without making them take chair shots and whatever else every week. Vince has his own style of wrestling that he believes is best and he's hardly going to change his mind on that at his age. Also, having guys on one show hit each other with stuff and wrestling again the next week would make a guy like Shawn Michaels look weak for being injured from a tv screen

I'd say that Vince is very happy with the ratings ECW gets considering how little effort is put into the show

That played a part of it alright, but the garbage wrestling style aka "hardcore division" sent more people on the bench between 2000-2002, exactly the reason why it was nixed just before the summer of 2002.

VR!

Fozzy wrote: »
    Wrestlers get hurt enough as it is without making them take chair shots and whatever else every week. Vince has his own style of wrestling that he believes is best and he's hardly going to change his mind on that at his age. Also, having guys on one show hit each other with stuff and wrestling again the next week would make a guy like Shawn Michaels look weak for being injured from a tv screen

I'd say that Vince is very happy with the ratings ECW gets considering how little effort is put into the show

It earns him $1 million a year profit in TV rights alone. The legacy of the ECW style should be evident to anyone viewing the amount of broken down and dead wrestlers on thier cards. Look how much Shane Douglas aged between 1996 & 1998 just for example.

It earns him $1 million a year profit in TV rights alone. The legacy of the ECW style should be evident to anyone viewing the amount of broken down and dead wrestlers on thier cards. Look how much Shane Douglas aged between 1996 & 1998 just for example.

Funny his name got mentioned. I was watching TNA Final Resolution 2007, during the Newly Franchised angle, and they showed the confrontation between Chase Stevens and Shane Douglas. And Shane just looked like a fat, out of shape old man. So i can't imagine how bad he looks now.

F*cking horrible angle too.
    VR!

Full houses in a bingo hall is not enough to keep a company like that going.

ECW is consistently one of WWE's most entertaining shows now and there is no reason to go back to the old way.

• Advertisement

Funny his name got mentioned. I was watching TNA Final Resolution 2007, during the Newly Franchised angle, and they showed the confrontation between Chase Stevens and Shane Douglas. And Shane just looked like a fat, out of shape old man. So i can't imagine how bad he looks now.

F*cking horrible angle too.
    VR!

Did you ever see the match Shane had with Raven during the weekly PPV era of TNA? When Shane was so out of shape he was puking in the ring.

Going back to this your statement implies at one time ECW was profitable, this was never the case.

I was waiting for the bingo hall to be mentioned is the hammerstein ballroom a bingo hall?
    That whole complex held wwe and holds roh shows so how can people say ecw only ran a bingo hall?
    plus numerous other arenas they had ppvs in

And rovert where's your source to say ecw never ran a profit?

And rovert where's your source to say ecw never ran a profit?

MALINFORMATION from Dave Meltzer

Hardcore History: Turning the Tables by John Lister

The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW by Scott Williams

Bankruptcy records

MALINFORMATION from Dave Meltzer

Hardcore History: Turning the Tables by John Lister

The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW by Scott Williams

Bankruptcy records

out of interest have you read either book?I was buying turning the tables till a friend sent me two pages of errors from it

out of interest have you read either book?I was buying turning the tables till a friend sent me two pages of errors from it

Turning The Tables is a fan's prespective travelogue from someone who wrote for Powerslam in UK during the time. While Hardcore History interviews everyone on the record and off the record (ie Paul Heyman.) Neither are perfect but Hardcore History is far better and more informative.

Turning The Tables is a fan's prespective travelogue from someone who wrote for Powerslam in UK during the time. While Hardcore History interviews everyone on the record and off the record (ie Paul Heyman.) Neither are perfect but Hardcore History is far better and more informative.

yeah i knew there was a fella involved from powerslam which made it more ridiculous to see such glaring errors.
    Cheers ill have a look for that now, i got wwes book bout ecw,nuff said

yeah i knew there was a fella involved from powerslam which made it more ridiculous to see such glaring errors.
    Cheers ill have a look for that now, i got wwes book bout ecw,nuff said

What errors did he made in it?

I've always heard that WWE's book on ECW was full of errors and that Turning The Tables was the more accurate one and that they came out at the same time. I haven't read either though

What errors did he made in it?

http://www.turningthetables.co.uk/

Corrections and clarifications

While reasonable attempts have been made to verify all information in this book, the very nature of the professional wrestling business often makes the 'truth' little more than the more plausible of two contrasting exaggerations. If you would like to correct or clarify anything in this book, please e-mail corrections@turningthetables.co.uk.

Any factual errors will be corrected on this page.

Thanks in particular to Greg Gaudio for his help.

Page 9: In the reverse steel cage battle royale, the winner was the first man in the ring, not the last.

Page 14: Eddie Gilbert worked as Michael Myers/Boogie Man in W*ING, not as Leatherface.

Page 18: Sabu and Tazmaniac's final televised battle before their 1997 Barely Legal match was on 15 March 1994.

Page 26: One event, UltraClash 93, was released on home video between Super Summer Sizzler 1993 and The Night The Line Was Crossed.

Page 57: The book refers to Paul Heyman buying out Tod Gordon's interest in the company by taking on existing debts, but does not give a figure. Since the book's publication, Heyman has stated in court documents that the debts were "in excess of $175,000".

Page 57: HHG was an unused shell company previously set-up by Richard Heyman and transferred to use for ECW. The initials had no connection with wrestling or the Heymans and Gordon.

Page 58: There was no cage match at the Hardcore Heaven 1995 show. (There were two cage matches on the following ECW Arena show, Heatwave.)

Page 71: As an FBI member, Tommy Rich was billed from Nashville, Sicily, not Italy as stated.

Page 106: Raven's doctor and roommate was Mark Allen, not Mark Andrews.

Page 117: WrestlePalooza 1997 took place on 7 June, not 6 June.

Page 125: Tony Lewis group was (as correctly listed elsewhere in the book) Strictly ECW.

Page 142: "Storm vs Douglas" should read "Storm vs Dreamer".

Page 145: Joey Styles continued in his day job (in advertising sales) upon taking on his role as announcer for TNN.

Page 188: Al Snow should be listed as debuting on 10 December 1994.

Page 190: As well as the listed names, Kid Kash wrestled in ECW as David Cash, while Reckless Youth also appeared (working one show, on 26/12/98).

Page 194: Cyrus and Joel Gertner's debut in 2000 was on 1 October, not 7 October.

Did you ever see the match Shane had with Raven during the weekly PPV era of TNA? When Shane was so out of shape he was puking in the ring.

Even Raven managed to keep his crap in, and he was obese by comparison to Douglas (still is!)
    Going back to this your statement implies at one time ECW was profitable, this was never the case.

ECW is a company that haemorraged money left right and centre. It didn't have anyone there who could manage money. Heyman didn't even pay half of his guys.

And to top it all off, he turned around and said that Bischoff killed ECW in the end.

Same old sob story, different day. Heard it before.
    VR!

• Advertisement
Advertisement