Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an Upgradeable Build on a Budget

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭

Well I promised my cousin I'd shop for parts for his new machine, he wanted something to blow Age of Conan out of the water for around US$1,100 but no more than $1,300. I figured I'd set him up with something that was mid-ish range but would be easy and painless and flexible to upgrade as time went on (and he found newer and more demanding games to play in the years to come), which is why I've put the 790i Ultra at the heart of the build, and aimed at 64-bit processing and future options for SLi.

then of course I went a little overboard :D

So what I've cooked up in the last couple hours for choice parts:

Antec Three Hundred ATX Computer Case

EVGA nForce 790i Ultra 3-way-SLi DDR3 Board

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 8MB L2 1066Mhz FSB

150GB Raptor 10k RPM 16MB Cache

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB DDR3

Its at this point I realise I've already reached the 1100 ceiling without Ram, a PSU or an OS :pac:

Any comments and criticism would be swell of course

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lose the raptor and get a samsung spinpoint f1 (comes in 750GB or 1TB drives), it's better than a raptor in most ways (I think access times are still quicker on the raptor).

Lose the 790i. It's expensive plus it requires you to spend even more money on ddr3 ram which isn't worth it. Can't really recommend another sli board. Do you really want sli that badly? If not then get a gigabyte P35-ds3l

Losing the motherboard will save you a small fortune.

PSU - Get a corsair 550w psu.

Ram - Get 4GBs ddr2 6400. It doesn't have to be fancy expensive stuff.

OS - Vista home premium 64-bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is he an overclocker, big into hardware, etc? A budget build can branch off in two directions really, enthusiast budget and general gamer (with no general care for the make-up of his machine) budget.

New socket out very soon, so there's only so much you can 'future proof' a board of all things right now - I'd cheap out on the board personally in a budget build (decent-cheap, not Biostar-esque cheap :p). I like to overclock and have a good board but I still don't spend more then 80-140 euro on mine, last one I got was the Gigabyte 650i for 80 euro, solid overclocker, Sli, supports 45nm, etc.

It's hard to price up a US build given the vast amount of sites, difference in prices, etc. But as a rough guide on a budget build I'd go for the following:

• 750i board of some sort, possibly 650i/680i if there's really good prices
    • 2gb decent ram (4 isn't really necessary for games right now, but if your budget allows it won't hurt of course)
    • Fast dual core rather then quad core for games (overclocking comes into here, you can seriously cheap out on the CPU to a measly 70-80 dollars if he is and still get excellent performance and freeing up more $$$ to pump into the video card/a nice sound card/maybe even a monitor)
    • Card like 9800GTX or HD4850 - high end gaming performance at a reasonable price. Don't buy XFX on a budget, buy one of the cheaper manufacters, Sparkle, PNY, Sapphire, etc - basically buy economically, with the amount of cards out now so competitive, 20 or 30 dollars/euro can transfer a bargain into a raw deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

HD4850, E7200, DS3L, Corsair 550w,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128334

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

4gb pc 6400, Samsung F1 HD, case you picked out, standard dvdrw, Vista 64bit

Cheap cpu fan like, Arctic freezer if he wants to overclock.

Advertisement