Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitarists called Steve

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

What is it about the name Steve (or Stevie) and playing the guitar?

I was just thinking that there are, or have been, a lot of guitarists out there called Steve.

The guitarist for Genesis for much of the '70s was Steve Hackett. He then went on to pursue a solo career.
    Steve Howe was guitarist with Yes in nearly all its lineups- certainly their most well-known guitarist.

There was the acclaimed rock-blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Don't forget avant-garde guitarist Steve Hillage.

Steve Miller of The Steve Miller Band is a great guitarist. Also, there was Steve Gibbons of The Steve Gibbons Band, who played some guitar although he was singer more than guitarist - so may be cheating a bit, but he still counts!

Stevie Winwood, ex-Traffic and sucessful solo singer-songwriter, may be better known for playing keyboards, but he is also a very good guitarist.

There's country singer and guitarist Steve Earle - best known for "Copper Head Road".

There's Steve Craddock, lead guitarist with Ocean Colour Scene.

There's Steve Lukather, guitarist with Toto. He sings lead vocals on his self-penned tune "I Won't Hold You Back".

People may have heard of Stephen Stills, or Steve Stills. Initially, he was with Buffalo Springfield, before he came associated with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and then Crosby, Stalls and Nash. Steve was lead guitarist with these vocal combos and often the lead vocalist as well.

Steve Diggle played lead guitar with well-known punk band The Buzzcocks. He subsequently formed another band called Flag of Convenience.One of the Buzzcocks singles "Harmony in My Head", actually featured Steve on lead vocals, unusually.

Steve Jones was guitarist with The Sex Pistols, and along with drummer Paul Cook, kept the name going for a while after Johnny Lydon/Rotten left the band.

Booker T and the MGS, a well-known band from the ''60s, had as guitarist Steve Cropper, also a prolific session musician.

Steve/Stephen Clark was a guitarist with Def Leppard until his untimely death.

Steve Gaines was a guitarist with Lynnyrd Skynyrd, who sadly was one of the members killed in a plane crash.

So... any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You forgot the obvious one, so good they named him twice!
    Steve Stevens - Billy Idols guitarist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So... any more?

You missed out on a couple of my favourite Steves:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Steve van zandt of the e street band is a pretty handy guitarist as well as being one of the most ridiculous yet coolest looking people i've ever seen in my life

steve.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Steve albini, the Nirvana producer, has played guitar in a bunch of different outfits. Guess he's not a guitarist in the strict sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pfffffft thats nothing, how about the Steve H clan

Howe, Hackett and Hillage who are all English and all played with Progrock groups of the 70s. They should form a club! :pac:

Damn just read that OP more closely - already named checked! :( Boo.

Steve Morse of the Dixie Dreggs and now Deep Purple is another.

Hey don't forget Stev(i)e Nicks.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Malkmus and Vai for two..

the guitarist in my band is called steve too.. he's a flynn..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

steve priest..sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mountain

steve housden from the Little River Band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Stevens, Sufjan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

stevie ray vaughn - love him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

steven hendrix....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Also, singers named David whose surnames begin with G: David Grohl, David Gahan of Depeche Mode, David Gedge of The Wedding Present/Cinerama, David Geffen - record company mogul but he's surely sung at some point in his life. Ditto David Gavurin, guitarist with The Sundays.

I mean... what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Dudess wrote: »
    Also, singers named David whose surnames begin with G: David Grohl, David Gahan of Depeche Mode, David Gedge of The Wedding Present/Cinerama, David Geffen - record company mogul but he's surely sung at some point in his life. Ditto David Gavurin, guitarist with The Sundays.

I mean... what's that about?

Don't forget David Gilmour - he has been known to sing occasionally... :)

And David Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah, possibly the two most obvious ones. I'm an idiot...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Dudess - methinks you have the beginnings of a new thread there...
    You could call it : Singers called David G-

Leave poor old Steve alone here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Seasick Steve

Advertisement