Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why diss eircom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Mobile will never really be able to provide an equal service to a good fixed line broadband product and generally the only people who settle for Hspda can't get anything else because of lack of availability or not having rights to get phonelines etc in. The ideal situation for Ireland for the moment is for providers like Smart/NTL/Magnet/Digiweb to keep hitting Eircom hard in the cities and force them to work harder. Right now I see no reason why anyone should be with eircom or any of the bitstream sellers if they can have broadband provided by Smart/NTL/Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    If the likes of O2 and Vodafone can keep up the improvements shown so far with mobile broadband, like better download limits, speed, consistency, coverage area, pricing and maybe add in mobile call packages to boot they will see alot of action from mainstream users.

A friend of mine has O2 and he is getting a steady 1.5mb - 2.2mb 99% of the time, , he downloaded nearly 15gb last month.

It's not broadband and it's people like your friend that result in super slow connections for everybody else on 3g. 3G is mobile internet, mobile dial-up at best.

The problem is, that were fixed wireless can deliver 20 mbit symmetric and more per sector in optimal conditions (total bandwidth), the cellphone services deliver anything from GPRS speeds to 7.2 mbit (again total bandwidth) per cell and max 384 kbit up, when it's not WCDMA2000.

So with 3g you hit contention, the second a 2nd user enters the cell and that can't be controlled. With fixed wireless and let's take a 2 mbit package, you hit contention, when 11 or more users are using their broadband.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I know, but the likes of NTL/Magnet are not going to go nationwide.

Mobile although no way near as good has that potential.

The problem with mobile is, that they actually are trying to push a service to customers that isn't nowhere geared, for what they are selling it for.

Essentially all they are doing is screwing up the marked and making it impossible for start-ups that could have delivered a proper service.

In that sense, they are as evil as Eircom.

They also give the Government an excuse, not to have to do something about it !!

/Martin

Marlow wrote: »
    It's not broadband and it's people like your friend that result in super slow connections for everybody else on 3g. 3G is mobile internet, mobile dial-up at best.

The problem is, that were fixed wireless can deliver 20 mbit symmetric and more per sector in optimal conditions (total bandwidth), the cellphone services deliver anything from GPRS speeds to 7.2 mbit (again total bandwidth) per cell and max 384 kbit up, when it's not WCDMA2000.

So with 3g you hit contention, the second a 2nd user enters the cell and that can't be controlled. With fixed wireless and let's take a 2 mbit package, you hit contention, when 11 or more users are using their broadband.

/Martin

3g although slow, is available in every country in the world, thats a start at least.

WiMAX and Lte aka 4g is interesting tech, might be a bit far off now, but mobile providers have been pushing tech much faster than anyone else has.

• Advertisement

3g although slow, is available in every country in the world, thats a start at least.

WiMAX and Lte aka 4g is interesting tech, might be a bit far off now, but mobile providers have been pushing tech much faster than anyone else has.

They have been pushing an excuse. Mobile internet is thought for mail and web use on the go, not broadband.

And are you aware how much of the network still is only GPRS or EDGE at best ? We are talking 56 kbit max.

When looking at Three, specifically, you'll see, how horrible wrong it is. That's always shaped to max 60 kbit upstream. Has NOTHING to do with broadband.

/Martin

Anyhow to get back on topic, there are good reasons to diss Eircom:

they have a nationwide phone-network and they are supposed to resell it equally to other providers as their own retail business, but they don't do that. They'll throw all the rocks in the way, they can, if it's just to cancel a request due to spelling.

they have nationwide 3.5 GHz license and have in the trials shown, that they can deliver 6 mbit WiMAX with that in rural areas, but have no interest to do so, because there isn't enough profit in it.

and when it comes to support, you need to be prepared to put 4 hours aside and can be assured, that they do not get it right.

I've been in Ireland 4 1/2 years, but learned this in the first months and it's funny, that everyone that comes to Ireland from the outside, will say doesn't have an opinion at that time, gets the same bad opinion about them within a few weeks. And there are no exceptions to my knowledge.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

never expected my drunk post to get so many replies :pac:
    thing is im stuck here on irishbroadband dsl and i keep getting disconnected every 20 packets , only sufting is working(barely)

neways i would kill to have my old eircom connection back , great pings, full download speeds and no drop outs :p i suppose my original post was a bit sarcastic in a way but i would really do anything to get that stability back.
    I no eircom overcharge and everything related to that, but there service is good
    yes there overpriced i agree with that

Back on topic:

Eircom's original plan was to make as much money as possible as fast as they could, and sell it on for a huge profit in the future.

This hasnt changed since the Aussies took it over, a good fibre network like the asians have would take a lot of investment ( to begin with, very rewarding in long run), which isnt going to happen with Eircom in charge.

I would love to know what kind of investment would be needed to get most of the population on to fibre?

€10 or 15 Billion?

Looking at the Koreans/Japanese networks, it wouldnt cost that much going from say 25mb to 250mb and then 1gb and so on, once a fibre network is established

Its a long term investment with huge rewards, that should have been started years ago.

We cant just blame Eircom though, its just as much the goverments and Comreg's fault.I am angrier with the goverment more than I am with Eircom, who wouldnt do what they did if in the same position?

4g is way off then Marlow?

I would love to know what kind of investment would be needed to get most of the population on to fibre?

It's happening in rural Denmark. 20 mbit/s fiber to every home with the electricity supply.
    4g is way off then Marlow?

There's only trials around there. Anyhow, mobile technologies are ment for what they say: "mobile", not broadband.

WiMAX exists in two flavours: mobile and fixed.

Still doesn't have anything to do with topic. If you want to discuss alternatives to Eircom, maybe you should start a different topic :)

/Martin

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    never expected my drunk post to get so many replies :pac:
    thing is im stuck here on irishbroadband dsl and i keep getting disconnected every 20 packets , only sufting is working(barely)

neways i would kill to have my old eircom connection back , great pings, full download speeds and no drop outs :p i suppose my original post was a bit sarcastic in a way but i would really do anything to get that stability back.
    I no eircom overcharge and everything related to that, but there service is good
    yes there overpriced i agree with that

The problem might be, that your old eircom connection could turn out as bad as your irishbroadband connection, if the problem is the DSLAM or the connection from the DSLAM to yourself. Honestly IBB DSL and Breeze usually have a very good reputation, so I'd nearly say, that the issue most like lies there.

/Martin

im not sure the problem is every 20 or 15 packets i get 2 bouts of 100% packetloss im living in a apartment complex but the packets that do send have consistent low ping so its not other uses in my apartment causing this .. its really annoying me , msn irc poker clients wont work ah well, gona pick up a o2 mobile kit tomorrow:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

im not sure the problem is every 20 or 15 packets i get 2 bouts of 100% packetloss im living in a apartment complex but the packets that do send have consistent low ping so its not other uses in my apartment causing this .. its really annoying me , msn irc poker clients wont work ah well, gona pick up a o2 mobile kit tomorrow:confused:
    If the main reason you are getting o2 mobile broadband is for low pings then I wouldn't bother. Pings will be in the hundreds of ms with it.

nah its not for gaming
    i just want it so my msn poker irc doesnt time out every 20 seconds , its so infuriating

packet sent *15 , request timed out , packet sent *15 , request timed out and so on.. its stops any stream or any online application thats open

nah its not for gaming
    i just want it so my msn poker irc doesnt time out every 20 seconds , its so infuriating

packet sent *15 , request timed out , packet sent *15 , request timed out and so on.. its stops any stream or any online application thats open
    Even though O2 are considered the best of the three mobile providers generally they are worse than someone like IBB. I presume you have rang them telling them the problem yea? What did they say?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How are you connected to the modem? Wirelessly or through the ethernete port?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

ok ok eircom are liers cheaters whatever u might want to put it.....
    but they are REALLLY reliable etc
    i think there great..... even 1 mb is so stable
    bow down to them imo..... only im posting alot of threads on speed but seriously after moving onto this ntl crap even half my eircom deal wud be sweet........

all im saying is dont badmouth eircom
    there a very VERY reliable service

If Eircom was the only provider of communication services in the country, I wouldn't use them. They're a despicable underhand company. I'd resort to using carrier pigeon.

For further details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=171929

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185687

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    If Eircom was the only provider of communication services in the country, I wouldn't use them. They're a despicable underhand company. I'd resort to using carrier pigeon.

Anybody arriving in Ireland get's the same treatment. Exactly my point, that anybody ever to arrive in this country immediatly gets a hate relationship with Eircom.

For myself it went as far, that I startet an ISP :) If they can't sort it, well .. we'll sort it ourselves then!

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

"anybody ever to arrive in this country immediatly gets a hate relationship with Eircom."

you got any evidence for that?

"For myself it went as far, that I startet an ISP"

Good for you. You can now start buying wayleaves, digging roads, erecting poles and cables, buying sites to house your gear and you won't need the hated eircom at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Sorry but this is the 21st Century. Eircon are a joke and unfortunately they are allowed to control the telephone lines in this country and not be regulated as to what standard and condition the lines are in. :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56402158&postcount=817

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You can now start buying wayleaves, digging roads, erecting poles and cables, buying sites to house your gear and you won't need the hated eircom at all.
    The vast majority of the main infrastructure such as buying/building exchanges, digging roads and erecting poles was done under the Telecom Eireann days, not by eircom.

Kensington wrote: »
    The vast majority of the main infrastructure such as buying/building exchanges, digging roads and erecting poles was done under the Telecom Eireann days, not by eircom.

Sure. They would have to apply for planning now :) Back then it was very easy for them.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 willsy84

Kensington wrote: »
    They're a bunch of rip off merchants tbh. They own pretty much the entire network infrastructure yet they are the most expensive for everything. How can the likes of BT, UTV, Perlico, Imagine etc. resell the eircom broadband packages as their own, charge LESS than eircom do for essentially the exact same service, yet still be making a profit on it? The same goes for the call packages and bundles.

Prices are set by Comreg to promote fair competition in the market. And as Eircom have over 70% market share, comreg allow BT, Perlico etc. to promote lower prices. Eircom prices are set and even if they wanted to charge less they wouldn't be allowed. If they were allowed, the market would go back to the way it was 10 years ago when Eircom had the monolopy!

lo smellslikeshoes

tried both , same result so infuriating =]

anybody got a help line number for Irish Broadband would be great thanks

support section doesnt load on there site when i try it lol...

lo smellslikeshoes

tried both , same result so infuriating =]

anybody got a help line number for Irish Broadband would be great thanks

support section doesnt load on there site when i try it lol...
    Just had a wee look on their site support number is 1890 56 44 56.

cheers m8

How are you connected to the modem? Wirelessly or through the ethernete port?

tryed 3 times , twice wireless with different devices and once with a ethernet cable directly to the router. no joy either way. Any ideas? Gona ring them this evening

cheers m8

My mischievous side nearly got the better of me there, you almost got the number for something completely different :D

lol hope it was nothin vicious :pac::pac:

i.e a eircom technical support number!:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

just phoned IBB they need the rent payer to phone them
    last time i asked him about it he basically told me to go **** myself :mad:

oh well no broadband for me even tho my work depends on it

ps living in an apartment

Advertisement