Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why diss eircom

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

kensington,

i know it doesn't suit your conspiracy theory but the fact is that telecom eireann to eircom was a name change. dot to the left is a full stop.

marlow,

you don't know a lot about wayleaves, planning permission, exempted development, road opening licences and the differences between them, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

you don't know a lot about wayleaves, planning permission, exempted development, road opening licences and the differences between them, do you?

I know enough to know, that when the government has an interest, it doesn't matter at all what the rules are. They'll just press ahead, even if it's for a private company.

If they however have no interest, they'll delay as much as they can :)

Planning depends on who you talk to and who you are, not what the rules are.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I diss eircom because they fool the majority of their customers into thinking they are getting broadband.

These poor folks just don't know any better. They play on peoples ignorance.

Its so sad

It's like being sold a car at 3 times the normal price, when what you actually get is a push bike but you just don't know any better!

Yeah sure a push bike is very reliable, but its still not a car, same for eircom, its reliable but they don't offer real broadband....its just pretend broadband which they force you to pay way over the odds for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 damnfun

Re. the above - eircom prices are set by the regulator - both the price they wholesale at to their competitors, and the prices they charge consumers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Terrlock wrote: »
    I diss eircom because they fool the majority of their customers into thinking they are getting broadband.

In what way is eircom broadband, not broadband? 3G broadband is not broadband, neither is Satellite, Clearwire or Ripwave. DSL is broadband though.
    damnfun wrote: »
    Re. the above - eircom prices are set by the regulator - both the price they wholesale at to their competitors, and the prices they charge consumers

Line rental price is set, as is the LLU price. But I don't think the regulator sets the wholesale price, nor does it set the retail price at which eircom offers broadband to customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

[/rant=on]
    Eircom are a pack of useless timewasters. I've been waiting for about 2 years now for them to get my exchange enabled. One of their sales men told me April time that it was being upgraded as we spoke, while I stupidly decided to go back to Eircon for voice calls. He said May/June.

Of course its August so I sent an email to Eircom saying that I can see some of my neighbours must have BB since there are Eircom SSIDs showing up. I get a stupid half arsed response saying "Oh I checked your line and its not broadband capable but we hope to have all exchanges upgraded by April 2009"... She completely ignored the bit about the fact that I was told by one of the reps it was being upgraded, the fact that my neighbours are on the same exchange as me and have broadband and then proceeded to give another date miles in the future.

It's just like the "I dont' care and I won't pull the finger out the arse to actually try and find out the info, instead I'll sh*t you about some date in the future but to show how helpful I am I will test your line again using the same tool you are probably using. How useful am I???" I can understand working in a call centre can be hard to get information but damn please attempt to look into the issue...

The company must have some sort of roll out plan. Surely the engineers don't wake up one sunny monrning and say to themselves "Hey I've got a hankering for some exchange upgrading today..." They were at my village a few weeks back doing work on the exchange which should be completed now why the fup can't anyone in Eircom give me a decent reason for why my line says Unsuitable.

X

[/rant=off]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I "diss" eircom because from personal experience they provide terriable customer support, pstn provisioning and will do all they can to delay an LLU provider provisining my line for DSL.

Additionally they provide overpriced Broadband compared to other providers, have been extrenmely slow to roll out DSL in Ireland and/or any upgrades to their network and they charge an arm and a leg for PSTN line rental in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

^I agree, i diss them because:
    1. Theyre hindering the development of broadband in Ireland
    2. I have 3Mb download but only 64kilobit upload and they've effectively told me and utv to not log any more faults on the line as the speed is rate adaptive and i have to move house in 2 weeks time for the 1 reason and thats to get working broadband. I also get charged for something that is next to useless
    3. When i moved into the new estate in August last year they gave a connection date of 17th of October, that came and went and after pestering them about a connection date, they refused to provide one. Its only when i wrote a letter of complaint near the end of November that they were in violation of Comreg's minimum contract agreement that they actually took notice. Meanwhile the gf rang them and they gave a date of march 2009. At the begining of December i was told that id have a line in 2 weeks but that it might be early January because of Christmas vacation. I was connected on Jan 10th, with a line thats usesless.
    4. I thought yesterday as im moving house ill see if i can get phone install+broadband one the one order, but nooooooooooo, those idiots still kepp it seperate knowing that if you get a line specifically for broadband and it doesnt work properly they'll lost out on the line rental
    5. Ive asked several times for an engineer to be sent out to invistigate and they flat out refuse to do so, hence i give up and am moving
    6. I rang yesterday to get phone activated in new gaff while trying to retain my current BB until i move in 2 weeks and they said they will only activate it when the current 1 is deactivated, so no matter what they ensure 2 weeks without BB
    7. 4-5 years ago when i moved from gaff in Dublin i cancelled the phoneline with them, i was in Sweden 4 months later and got a letter saying a court summonance was to follow that week because i hadnt paid my bills in months. I rang up and told them id cancelled it, moved out, and they said that never happened and meanwhile the new residents ran up a bill of 300euro. The woman i spoke to said i owe the money and thats it, eventually she hung up on me when i asked her if she considered that she does her job well lol i rang back, got a nice dude from Tallaght who sorted the issue in a matter of minutes.

Theyre a bunch of p****, if possible i would have absolutely nothing to do with them ever, it kilss me to give those tossers money indirectly every month for phone line rental when they know theyre just taking the pi$$

Broadband for many people in the country is as important as electricity yet its not treated with the same importance, Eircom know they have a monopoly and theyre doing everything they can to make it awkward for resellers.

I cant wait for the day when other providers are covering other parts of the country with fixed line BB access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Xcellor wrote: »
    [/rant=on]
    Eircom are a pack of useless timewasters. I've been waiting for about 2 years now for them to get my exchange enabled. One of their sales men told me April time that it was being upgraded as we spoke, while I stupidly decided to go back to Eircon for voice calls. He said May/June.

Of course its August so I sent an email to Eircom saying that I can see some of my neighbours must have BB since there are Eircom SSIDs showing up. I get a stupid half arsed response saying "Oh I checked your line and its not broadband capable but we hope to have all exchanges upgraded by April 2009"... She completely ignored the bit about the fact that I was told by one of the reps it was being upgraded, the fact that my neighbours are on the same exchange as me and have broadband and then proceeded to give another date miles in the future.

It's just like the "I dont' care and I won't pull the finger out the arse to actually try and find out the info, instead I'll sh*t you about some date in the future but to show how helpful I am I will test your line again using the same tool you are probably using. How useful am I???" I can understand working in a call centre can be hard to get information but damn please attempt to look into the issue...

The company must have some sort of roll out plan. Surely the engineers don't wake up one sunny monrning and say to themselves "Hey I've got a hankering for some exchange upgrading today..." They were at my village a few weeks back doing work on the exchange which should be completed now why the fup can't anyone in Eircom give me a decent reason for why my line says Unsuitable.

X

[/rant=off]

If you can see eircom SSID's then your exchange has been broadband enabled and no further upgrade will give you broadband. Firstsly find out what exchange your on. Put your number into the smart line checker

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line-checker.html

Assuming your on the same enabled exchange as your neighbours the problem is more likely down to your individual line and/or your internal wiring. How far are you from the exchange? What is your dial-up speed? Have a look at the FAQ for advice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cabaal wrote: »
    I "diss" eircom because from personal experience they provide terriable customer support, pstn provisioning and will do all they can to delay an LLU provider provisining my line for DSL.

Additionally they provide overpriced Broadband compared to other providers, have been extrenmely slow to roll out DSL in Ireland and/or any upgrades to their network and they charge an arm and a leg for PSTN line rental in Ireland.

+1
    They are anti competitive and are stifling our broadband development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Theyre a bunch of p****, if possible i would have absolutely nothing to do with them ever, it kilss me to give those tossers money indirectly every month for phone line rental when they know theyre just taking the pi$$

I use cable and VOIP. While UPC have their share of problems, nothing gave so much satisfaction as becoming Eircon free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I use cable and VOIP. While UPC have their share of problems, nothing gave so much satisfaction as becoming Eircon free.
    id give any provider( apart from eircon and resellers ) 80euro per month without hessitation for a 2Mb download, 256kb upload with ~40ms pings to dublin servers from Mullingar( effectively less than the BB i used to have ). Instead of paying 63euro or crap thats a waste of time, tried emailing 2.5Mb of pix which timed out at 5 minutes because i get 6.5Kilobyte per second max upload lmao

Advertisement