Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media Studies - your thoughts

• 27-06-2008 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Have Media Studies down on ye olde CAO... have it as #1 but that may change between now and the weekend. From anyone that's done / is doing the course, how are you finding it? What are the modules like? Do the lecturers know what they're talking about?

Found this reaction on the DCU page... is it justified?
    Dory wrote:
    Someone said Media in Maynooth is better [than the Journalism and Communication Studies course at DCU]?? I would really like to know where the person who told you that got that idea. I finished it last year and found it to be the most useless 3 years possible. And just about everyone agreed. The EU people did surverys of lots of college courses and Media in Maynooth got absolutely slated. Every year gave out and had nothing positive to say. There was one lecturer there who almost made it worth it, but he left.
    Sorry I can't help with the communications/journalism question but I know everyone in my class would agree with me that you should stay away from Maynooth!

Lots of questions there but any opinions / advice would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Done two years of the media studies course in Maynooth and I absolutely love it. Regarding the quote that you used, the course is only 5 years old and from what i've heard from those who have completed it, at the start it was a bit of a disaster. People did complain though and changes were made to the way and order in which things are taught. So as far as I know it has improved greatly since that person probably took it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, 'that person' started in 2004, the 2nd year of the course. It's great if you like the theory side of it. My year and the year above it were a very technical gang, and hated that we had hardly any practical classes; 2 hours a week, and most of that was spent sitting around talking. For example video editing was a weekend course. 3 years and they had to squeeze one of the most important parts into a weekend. If you look at any of the work done by multimedia people in DCU, it embarrasses Maynooth. All the work I've ever seen come out of Maynooth has been very amatuerish. With more practical classes the DCU people make amazing videos and win lots of awards.
    Also, DCU have a lot more written work/essays. Not saying that's a good thing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

I have multimedia down as my first choice, I've never heard anything bad about it before though so I'm just gna cross my fingers and hope I'll like it as much as I anticipated - my experience of it might be completely different.

Advertisement