Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland in UK?

Options
  • 27-06-2008 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I just thought I would throw the idea out. Would anyone be in favor of Ireland Joining in an act of Union with Britain? I'm aware some extremist parties within mainland Britain are in favor. Im also aware that there are people within Fine Gael who would back such a decision. Personally, I would be 110% against any notion of the idea. There is too much history and cultural conflict for it ever to be in my opinion. Are you in in favor or against? For what reasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Star_Buck wrote: »
    I just thought I would throw the idea out. Would anyone be in favor of Ireland Joining in an act of Union with Britain? I'm aware some extremist parties within mainland Britain are in favor. Im also aware that there are people within Fine Gael who would back such a decision. Personally, I would be 110% against any notion of the idea. There is too much history and cultural conflict for it ever to be in my opinion. Are you in in favor or against? For what reasons?

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Im also aware that there are people within Fine Gael who would back such a decision

Who ?

This has been done to death before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We're already in a union with Britain - and twenty-five other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for this :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »
    +1 for this :p

Mike.

+1 for a UK/Ireland football team anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

oh oh he said mainland britain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As long as we get to pick and choose which bits of which country we adopt.

Tesco's would have to charge the same here as in England and we would insist on Asda opening up as well. Obviously everything that currently attracts 21% VAT would go to 17.5% but the lower VAT products would stay as they are.

Ireland's TAX policy would have to come into force but duty on Alcohol would have to drop so we pay the same for wine here as in the UK.

NO VRT, let me say that again NO VRT :D

It's never gonna happen so we may as well get carried away :D

(I know one poster that is going to love this thread :rolleyes::D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Northern Ireland, the Republic, Wales, Scotland and Cornwall should form a Celtic Fringe Federation and repress the Sassenach!
    Roll on devolution!

Kama wrote: »
    Northern Ireland, the Republic, Wales, Scotland and Cornwall should form a Celtic Fringe Federation and repress the Sassenach!
    Roll on devolution!

I remember seeing a political paty once that was campaigning for independance for London and the home counties, on the assumption that 90% of Britains wealth is in the South East.:p

I would suggest you don't try and get the Cornish into the Magners League either, they are savages on a rugby pitch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Kama wrote: »
    Roll on devolution!

And Brittany and the Isle of Man of course.

This Union idea is ridicules. Why do you think a lot of the Scots want out? Its lot like its some fairy heaven land.

Wait til kev_ps3 finds this!!

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    And Brittany and the Isle of Man of course.

This Union idea is ridicules. Why do you think a lot of the Scots want out? Its lot like its some fairy heaven land.

Wait til kev_ps3 finds this!!

Of course it's fantasy, but we may as well enjoy it before this thread gets too silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We were in the Commonwealth with the UK until 1949, we were the only country to ever leave it, we still have the same rights as other Commonwealth members, technically you could say were still joined with them under law..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

we would insist on Asda opening up as well.
    (I know one poster that is going to love this thread :rolleyes::D)

Can we have Waitrose please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

OPENROAD wrote: »

Who was it that opened in Dublin city centre years ago and had to leave post-haste? Was it Woolworths?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OPENROAD wrote: »

An over-priced supermarket group? No thanks.:p

ejmaztec wrote: »

Don't mind paying extra for quality though like most UK groups that open up here they are not a patch on UK Equiv. imo. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

eoin5 wrote: »
    Who was it that opened in Dublin city centre years ago and had to leave post-haste? Was it Woolworths?

I remember C&A (or BHS) in the City Centre being picketed & threatened by Republicans in the early 80s (because they were a 'British' store') so they promptly pulled-out of the Republic post-haste, but that was before it was acceptable to have UK 'High-Street' stores here ................

I must admit that I am not 100% sure if it was the picketing that forced them to withdraw so speedily, but it is amusing how, 25 years later how every second shop in Dublin is a UK 'High Street' Store which is actually great for consumer choice, but probably baffling to tourists :rolleyes:

Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, Newcastle, theyre all the same really, apart from the Green post boxes, the Euro, & extra VAT that we have to pay!

ArthurF wrote: »
    apart from the Green post boxes

And apparently a good chunk of these are Royal Mail post boxees painted green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

How about the UK join Ireland and swear allegience to us? That's right Queeny, put down your crumpets and drink some Guinness! You're under our roof now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

dlofnep wrote: »
    How about the UK join Ireland and swear allegience to us? That's right Queeny, put down your crumpets and drink some Guinness! You're under our roof now!

I would support that!;)
    No independent country wants to be ruled by another. But if the Brits want to be ruled by us then im ok with that lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Stupidest post 2008.
    I remember C&A (or BHS) in the City Centre being picketed & threatened by Republicans in the early 80s (because they were a 'British' store') so they promptly pulled-out of the Republic post-haste, but that was before it was acceptable to have UK 'High-Street' stores here ................

I must admit that I am not 100% sure if it was the picketing that forced them to withdraw so speedily, but it is amusing how, 25 years later how every second shop in Dublin is a UK 'High Street' Store which is actually great for consumer choice, but probably baffling to tourists :rolleyes:

Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, Newcastle, theyre all the same really, apart from the Green post boxes, the Euro, & extra VAT that we have to pay!
    Well, since we also have American fast food outlets such as McDonalds, Burger King, Star Bucks, Kentucky Fried Chicken etc all over the place, does that mean we should become the 51st state of America ?? And since the UK High St shops sell mainly clothes of American origin, jeans, t shirts, sweat shirts, hooded tops etc, and also have McDonalds, Burger King etc does that mean the brits should also become a state of America ? As far as I can see, it's the more and more Americanisation of us that's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    As far as I can see, it's the more and more Americanisation of us that's happened.
    If you've ever actually been in the US and gone to one of these stores in the US, you'll realise that the only thing that our "American" shops have in common with their American heritage, is the name. In restaurants, the food and service are completely different; in clothes shops the layout, the branding and the attitude are completely different.
    British shops on the other hand, tend to be very similar both here and in the UK.

Except in the UK, they have better stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

turgon wrote: »
    Why do you think a lot of the Scots want out?
    That remains to be seen.
    eoin5 wrote: »
    I seem to remember relatives telling me about Woolworths in Dublin alright, but I'm not sure if that's (picketing) why they left.
    I remember C&A (or BHS) in the City Centre being picketed & threatened by Republicans in the early 80s..
    It may have been BHS, but it wasn't C&A; they only ever had the one store in Ireland, in Liffey Valley SC in Dublin. I actually worked there in the late 90's, early 00's when I was in college; amazing the number of people who were actually happy to see the place go because it was perceived as British, even though it is Dutch in origin.
    ...it is amusing how, 25 years later how every second shop in Dublin is a UK 'High Street' Store which is actually great for consumer choice...
    Not sure about that.

djpbarry wrote: »
    That remains to be seen.
    I seem to remember relatives telling me about Woolworths in Dublin alright, but I'm not sure if that's (picketing) why they left.

Woolworth is an American company. The American owners decided on a bit of worldwide cost-cutting. In the UK, the stores were sold off but were allowed to continue using the Woolworth name. I seem to think that the Irish stores all closed because they were not economically viable. I don't think that American stores would have been picketed for anti-British reasons. Perhaps, if Woolworth was picketed, it was because jobs were going to disappear when they pulled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I just thought I would throw the idea out.

Pull it back in. Stupid idea for any number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

We already have superquinn anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

That's a great idea, Join the UK and take all their wealth and prosperity and flush it dowm the toilet and make them a near bankrupt economy like we've managed to do already, it's a skill we've developed and we need to spread the gospel of just how inept we really are!!!!:)

mox54 wrote: »
    That's a great idea, Join the UK and take all their wealth and prosperity and flush it dowm the toilet and make them a near bankrupt economy like we've managed to do already, it's a skill we've developed and we need to spread the gospel of just how inept we really are!!!!:)

Rank amateurs compared to Mugabe - he's the man for that kind of job.

Woolworth is an American company. The American owners decided on a bit of worldwide cost-cutting. In the UK, the stores were sold off but were allowed to continue using the Woolworth name. I seem to think that the Irish stores all closed because they were not economically viable. I don't think that American stores would have been picketed for anti-British reasons. Perhaps, if Woolworth was picketed, it was because jobs were going to disappear when they pulled out.

Sorry what period are we talking about stores being picketed for anti British reasons, I certainly can't remember this happening, are we talking about 60's or 70's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yeah but i dont think the british public/or army would like to be ruled from Dublin

Advertisement