Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland in UK?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

Over my dead body!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

djpbarry wrote: »
    It may have been BHS, but it wasn't C&A; ...

Yup, its confirmed as BHS. I think woolworths left because they had more than the odd opportunist helping themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Sorry what period are we talking about stores being picketed for anti British reasons, I certainly can't remember this happening, are we talking about 60's or 70's.

I'm assuming the 1980s. I wasn't here then but I vaguely remember hearing about the trouble at the time. It was a bit more low-key compared to the torching of the British Embassy in 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

eoin5 wrote: »
    I think woolworths left because they had more than the odd opportunist helping themselves.

Shame, it's one of my favourite stores.....it's cheap:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Maybe the original question should have asked "Will Northern Ireland ever leave the UK" ? instead of 'will the Repoublic re-join' although the North's future in the 'Union' depends on how the concept of the 'UK' evolves with devolution & the ever changing relationships between all the countries/ regions of the british isles ......

Personally, I would say that there is as much chance of Scotland leaving the UK as there is of the Republic re-joining (No chance)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

loads of talk here about the low VAT and no VRT etc. everyone has forgotten about the high income tax you pay under the british system. if you dont belive me, punch your salary into these two online calcs

http://www.taxcalc.eu/ for the irish and here http://listentotaxman.com/ for the british system

and convert here http://www.xe.com/

see how much better off you are!!

the last time i done this calc (march 07), the switch point was €50k pa. if under you are better off in the irish system, over €50k better off in the british system. its a bit early for my brain but i think with the stronger euro, that figure has probably risen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I think the event which would change things for the best would be if the UK were to adopt the Euro as their currency. The ROI will never rejoin the UK or commonwealth. Northern Ireland will probably remain in the UK I can't see much changing so long as the peace process remains on course. However yesterdays news reports of the Orange Drummers inviting Catholic's with a musical background to join them and the rhetoric of the speaker seemed very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lg123 wrote: »
    loads of talk here about the low VAT and no VRT etc. everyone has forgotten about the high income tax you pay under the british system. if you dont belive me, punch your salary into these two online calcs

http://www.taxcalc.eu/ for the irish and here http://listentotaxman.com/ for the british system

and convert here http://www.xe.com/

see how much better off you are!!

the last time i done this calc (march 07), the switch point was €50k pa. if under you are better off in the irish system, over €50k better off in the british system. its a bit early for my brain but i think with the stronger euro, that figure has probably risen.

Of course, if you happen to be unemployed, the tax calcs are of little or no relevance. Also, is one more likely to unemployed in Ireland than in the UK when the economic going gets tough?

After the December 08 budget, Irish tax rates might also be heading back in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One organisation that would love this would be the hardcore IRA. It'd give them a new meaning. Oh, and more places to bomb.

@ ej: the dole in the british system in 2005 was ~£50/wk plus rent allowance, in ireland it was circa €160 plus rent allowance.

@ syco: never heard of the hardcore IRA, only the CIRA, RIRA, PIRA. They a new dissident group? they sound a lot more dangerous than the others!!

on a side note, anyone hear that request on 2fm today for everyone in portadown, it was my chemical romance, the black parade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

One can't make simple comparisons about which country one would be better off in purely based on one's take-home pay! The UK (for example) has far superior public services (no paying €50 to see a GP for 5 minutes, nevermind another €50 for a basic prescription!). Food is cheaper. VAT is lower but they have domestic rates (council tax) and duty on cigarrettes and petrol is higher, car insurance is lower and so on...there are too many variables I feel and it depends on the individual (non-smoking, infrequent car driver who gets sick regularly and who rents rather than owns house may well be better off in the UK!) as to whether you'd be better off in the UK or RoI. However, any pals of mine who've worked in both states all maintain that they have a better standard of living in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

@ syco: never heard of the hardcore IRA, only the CIRA, RIRA, PIRA. They a new dissident group? they sound a lot more dangerous than the others!!
    By "hardcore", I meant all the original bad boys. The ones from PIRA who went on to form PIRA, CIRA, INLA, etc. They, and all of their sub groups would be back in business very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The "hardcore" IRA were wimps compared to the British Paratroopers. Shooting innocent children in the face takes balls the size of watermelons! You gotta give it up to them Brits. When it comes to terrorism, they are surely top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dlofnep wrote: »
    The "hardcore" IRA were wimps compared to the British Paratroopers. Shooting innocent children in the face takes balls the size of watermelons! You gotta give it up to them Brits. When it comes to terrorism, they are surely top of the pile.

It's lucky we have terrorist sympathisers such as yourself to keep them on the straight and narrow I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

murphaph wrote: »
    One can't make simple comparisons about which country one would be better off in purely based on one's take-home pay! The UK (for example) has far superior public services (no paying €50 to see a GP for 5 minutes, nevermind another €50 for a basic prescription!). Food is cheaper. VAT is lower but they have domestic rates (council tax) and duty on cigarrettes and petrol is higher, car insurance is lower and so on...there are too many variables I feel and it depends on the individual (non-smoking, infrequent car driver who gets sick regularly and who rents rather than owns house may well be better off in the UK!) as to whether you'd be better off in the UK or RoI. However, any pals of mine who've worked in both states all maintain that they have a better standard of living in the UK.

I guess it depends on what you mean by standard of living as well. We had a lot more disposable income in the UK, but we would have had to £10k a year to get her into a good school. it costs us €500 here for books. She can also play out in the street here, I would never have let her do that in the UK. That obviously changes on the area though.

We had more material things in England, but an overall better life here I think, although anytome you need to contact Sky/NTL/eircom/ any government body the reasons for moving to Ireland becomes less apparant. Customer service in this country is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I remember seeing a political paty once that was campaigning for independance for London and the home counties, on the assumption that 90% of Britains wealth is in the South East.:p

Those kind of people are absolute ****tards. (And I'm a southerner)

Moriarty wrote: »
    It's lucky we have terrorist sympathisers such as yourself to keep them on the straight and narrow I guess.

What can I say. I'm a sympathetic person and we're in Ireland, land of the lucky! Imagine that?

But for the sake of a bit of banter, which terrorist(s) is it that I support?

Moriarty wrote: »

if they liberated the 6 counties they would be freedom fighters, ongoing occupation they are terrorists........

murphaph wrote: »
    i have lived in both and in belfast coincidentally. in the south you have the medical card if you are eligable....and so on, as you said there are too many variables. in the end i disagree though. i think i have a better standard of living here in ireland (SW).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

if they liberated the 6 counties they would be freedom fighters, ongoing occupation they are terrorists........

No, they'd still be scummy terrorists.

• Advertisement

Now that the Troubles are over & the dust has settled, I think its quite a good thing to have one part of the island in the UK & the other part not in the UK > for obvious reasons.

Cheaper Dentestry up North (UK), better wages down South, Cheaper Cars up North (UK), Expensive cars down south, Sterling up North (UK), Euro down South, BBC up North (UK), RTE down South, the two State education systems etc etc etc . . . . . .

The point I am making is, that when you think about it, we really are in a privileged position in the Ireland of 2008 to have the two jurisdictions on the same island & yet live together peacefully

This island can do very well indeed out of the 'two state' UK > non UK solution that we have all finally agreed upon.

Viva La Choice (on the same island) :)

ArthurF wrote: »
    Cheaper Cars up North (UK), Expensive cars down south

And? We still have to pay VRT on them.
    Sterling up North (UK), Euro down South

So? Two currencies is inconvenient if anything.
    BBC up North (UK), RTE down South

If the North wasn't under British occupation, then I'd still be able to watch BBC.. Or Sky, or the playboy channel if it just so happened to tickle my fancy. Cable TV - It's a wonderful thing.
    the two State education systems etc etc etc

Yeah, I'm sure the children loved being told how incompetent they are with the eleven plus system up North. Thankfully, it will be soon-removed.
    The point I am making is, that when you think about it, we really are in a privileged position in the Ireland of 2008 to have the two jurisdictions on the same island & yet live together peacefully

Oh yeah, we're really making a killing on all the cars we're buying up North.. Not to mention, the privilege of being able to watch colour television! WOW! Imagine that?

So if you dont like the choice we have on the island of Ireland at the moment with the two jurisdictions, then whats your alternative solution? for us to re-join the UK, or for them up North to leave the UK? . . . .
    Ergo; The total Republicanisation of the North?

What do you want dlofnep :confused:

So if you dont like the choice we have on the island of Ireland at the moment with the two jurisdictions, then whats your alternative solution? for us to re-join the UK, or for them up North to leave the UK? . . . .
    Ergo; The total Republicanisation of the North?

What do you want dlofnep :confused:

A united Ireland, distanced from British rule & policies. Consistency across the Island. One currency, one law. One central Government that is fair and that can cater for all the people of Ireland. Where we determine our own foreign policies across the Island by the central Government, and aren't caught up with the ongoing tit for tat war in the middle-east. There are quite a few things that I want, but I think I might have to write a few chapters on it.

What would you like Arthur? Besides the ability to buy cars up in the North paying VRT on them, going to currency bureaus and watching the BBC of course..

I think most people seem happy with things the way they are now, the killing & the bombing has stopped, Storemont seems to be bedding-in, bar the odd hic-up, & the Economy & wages seem to be the order of the day (good news & bad news) ~ things finally seem to be 'Normal' in Ireland when compared to before the ceasefire.

You may want 'One government' 'One Currency' 'One Flag' 'One foreign policy' etc etc, but arent you forgetting that many people on the island of Ireland just dont share your narrow 'One Nation' views.

You cant have your 'United Ireland' just because you want it dlofnep & the people of Ireland North & South obvisouly dont seeing as most of us voted for the 'Good Friday Agreement' which states that the North will remain within the UK & for as long as the majority of people living there wish . . .

Unless you would like us to re-run the GFA Referendum again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

One central Government that is fair and that can cater for all the people of Ireland.

:eek: The shower that are there at the moment can't even cater for or be fair to all of the Republic, let alone take on a previously-subsidised statelet!

You may want 'One government' 'One Currency' 'One Flag' 'One foreign policy' etc etc, but arent you forgetting that many people on the island of Ireland just dont share your narrow 'One Nation' views.

Narrow views? Every single poll ever taken has shown majority support for Irish Unity. The last large scale poll showed nearly 80% support for Irish Unity in the South. My views aren't narrow nor are they in the minority Arthur. You are in the minority of people who do not support Irish Unity.

Also, I'd like to address this constant use of the GFA as proof that there is no support for Irish Unity. The GFA did not rule out Irish Unity. It stated that it was up to the people to decide the faith of Irish Unity. But even at this, should the majority of people in the North want Irish Unity (and major support is on the rise since the GFA), it can still be veto'd out.

You see Arthur, you're quite content with a foreign nation bullying it's way to rule over a foreign country - so long as inevitably, everything smoothens out. I'm objected to British rule in Ireland as it was by force, and even just a generation ago - Britain used children in Derry as cannon fodder to make a statement about British rule in Ireland. Just as I am objected to similar scenarios right around the world.

The DUP is the majority voice for the unionist population of the North, but yet - it's riddled with homophobes and bigots. All's well in Stormont though, right? If the DUP had it's way, homosexuals would be hung, and so would the nationalists along with them. Your kind of Government Arthur?

I've said all I need to say in Posts #52 #54 #56.

Grand, no need to go around in circles then. I've more important agendas at the present than debating this same old tirade anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...you're quite content with a foreign nation bullying it's way to rule over a foreign country - so long as inevitably, everything smoothens out. I'm objected to British rule in Ireland as it was by force...
    Shouldn't you be getting rid of the Vikings too? They invaded first, didn't they? And don't forget the Normans...

Advertisement