Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrrggghhh!!! - FF Senator leads move to deny gay couples right to register

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sorry, here's a link to that poll.

They removed the links to older polls from the new site so I had to find it by changing the link (and the site loads slow, so it was time consuming)

Thanks for going to the effort for me. I didn't think it was that high. I do think it would require a referendum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can anyone tell me what the difference between marriage & civil union actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can anyone tell me what the difference between marriage & civil union actually is?

In Irish law, there won't be *much* but its quite significant none the less. The civil unions bill covers most ground quite well

Married couples have additional adoption rights (which could yet be granted) and additional taxation and other financial rights (which would likely be in the next Finance Act if they are to come in at all) as well as additional constitutional protects.

They're also harder and lengthier to dissolve than civil unions are going to be.

There is also the issue that the name gives a somewhat second-class status to civil unions over marriages - it implies difference when there really shouldn't be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

MYOB wrote: »
    additional taxation and other financial rights (which would likely be in the next Finance Act if they are to come in at all)

Well I can at least confirm this will come in (assuming the bill is passed)
    ...in relation to the taxation issue, I can confirm that changes to the tax and social welfare codes will be made through legislation sponsored by the Ministers for Finance and Social Welfare, respectively. This is due to the extensive and highly technical nature of the legislation required. ...

I had to ask them since their "note to editors" claimed it was to be enacted, but it wasn't in the heads.

Just to clarify, the question I asked was why they claimed to have tax in it, when it wasn't there. I just realised now that the above quote doesn't necessarily confirm it, except in the context of the question I asked (it just seems to clarify who would do it, when in reply to my question it was obviously a case of who will do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

who did you ask? what did you ask?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I can't find the email I sent. But I did compare the reply with what I asked. It was the Department of Justice's normal email address that I sent it to. The quote comes from that email

The question I asked was essentially (as close as I can remember) "... I noticed the 'Note to editors' includes a reference to 'taxation' rights. This aforementioned 'Note' seems to suggest such taxation rights are in the heads, yet having read the entire index, and searched through the whole document, I found no more than a trivial reference to taxation. Would I be correct in assuming that it refers changes which are planned for a Finance bill? If not, may I enquire as to what exactly it refers?"

The notes I was refering to are here.

Advertisement