Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to add to Irish Whiskey collection ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

True I suppose - man I'd love to be a judge at one of those fairs !

Currently enjoying a nice drop of Green spot - It deserves several gold medals !

Well was down in Midleton over the weekend and popped into the distillery shop and added a 2007 very rare to the collection . To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the selections available in the store. Also they've rebranded their distillery reserve - only available in the shop to a green labelled bottle . Did'nt bother with it as have one of the older branded ones already. They also had a new Jameson premium 18yr old in a green plastic box at 125 - maybe next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I think green spot is next on my list, having tried redbreast and been *blown away* by it... Miles better than the Jameson 12. Not really able to spend any more than 50 myself though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

http://www.michaelcollinswhiskey.com

Had a Bottle of this a few weeks ago. the single malt is pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'll also add my support to Greenspot.

Fantastic whiskey.

They have bottle behind the bar at The Palace on fleet street... try a measure and you'll soon be buying a bottle for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I'll also add my support to Greenspot.

Fantastic whiskey.

They have bottle behind the bar at The Palace on fleet street... try a measure and you'll soon be buying a bottle for yourself.

There's a bottle of DWD behind the bar in the glass case in the Palace? Is that the real thing, or is it filled with tea, for display purposes?
    http://www.michaelcollinswhiskey.com

Had a Bottle of this a few weeks ago. the single malt is pretty amazing.

You would have been better off buying a bottle of Lockes 8 year old single malt, as they're the same thing. And the Lockes is much cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brockagh wrote: »
    There's a bottle of DWD behind the bar in the glass case in the Palace?
    Eh? How did you get from Green Spot to DWD?

Green Spot is my whiskey of choice too, FWIW. Very different to Redbreast, which I don't really like.

You would have been better off buying a bottle of Lockes 8 year old single malt, as they're the same thing. And the Lockes is much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

True - most of what the Cooley distillery produce is branded and marketed in different ways . I do really like the Michael Collins bottles - very unusual shape - even if the 1L blend is so tall that it does'nt fit on my display shelf where the other whiskeys are :)

for sure Greenspot is my favourite drinking whiskey ans I've certainly put some dents in the bottle in the Palace

I like Green Spot, but I don't think it's as nice as it used to be.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Post Edited, PM sent to Brockagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I'd recommend Redbreast 15 y.o. if you can find a bottle somewhere, it's excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you drinking these or colleting them?
    I got my Middleton before Christmas. It was on special at Tesco and i think it was about €115 plus i got it when there was 30% back in clubcard points on alcohol :D

Lovely stuff. I have only had it a few times. I currently have a normal bushmills to drink on a regular basis along with a tyrconnell, connemara and some fantastic Yamazaki Japanese Whiskey.

Saruman wrote: »
    Are you drinking these or colleting them?
    I got my Middleton before Christmas. It was on special at Tesco and i think it was about €115 plus i got it when there was 30% back in clubcard points on alcohol :D

Lovely stuff. I have only had it a few times. I currently have a normal bushmills to drink on a regular basis along with a tyrconnell, connemara and some fantastic Yamazaki Japanese Whiskey.

Collecting mainly - but have been known to break into one of the "collection" the odd time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

talking of irish whiskeys, has anyone tried that "feckin irish whiskey"?

I saw it online a while back but never had the chance to try it, is it any good?

I don't think it's supposed to be great. It's just a cheap whiskey from Cooley, I believe. Bottled by someone else.

I think it's marketed at the American market too - as Brockagh said it's a Cooley product so probably the same as Kilbeggin or Lockes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Digging up this old thread...

I'm going to head into either Ranelagh into Redmonds or into the Celtic Whiskey Shop to buy myself a Redbreast 15 year old.

Celticwhiskeychaser mentioned to me that it might be cheaper in Redmonds... anyone got any information on this.

When buying it I might head into the Bull & Castle to have a few chasers of the 15 year old itself. I remember reading a thread saying that someone got some out of a 1970's bottle I think it was and got it for a very cheap price... I could be wrong though.

I'm also looking at the Midleton Very Rare 2007 at 150 euro. Might be my next buy after the Redbreast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

When buying it I might head into the Bull & Castle to have a few chasers of the 15 year old itself. I remember reading a thread saying that someone got some out of a 1970's bottle I think it was and got it for a very cheap price... I could be wrong though.

I think that particular bottle is the 12yo version. Just remember that it is quite different and not a true reflection on in what it is today. Definately worth a try if it is cheap though.

I'm going to head into either Ranelagh into Redmonds or into the Celtic Whiskey Shop to buy myself a Redbreast 15 year old.

Celticwhiskeychaser mentioned to me that it might be cheaper in Redmonds... anyone got any information on this.

I just remember a post either here or on our own site saying it was cheaper but that was a while back but yes now that you mention it it was Redmons.

Yes, I think it was me who gave that info. It was the case a month or so ago anyway. It was 90 euro in Ranelagh

I think Midleton VR is overpriced, personally. And I think Jameson 18 is better, but that's just my own taste. The Midleton is still very good.

I also think I'd prefer the Jameson Gold to the Midleton, and it's a good bit cheaper.

I'm also looking at the Midleton Very Rare 2007 at 150 euro. Might be my next buy after the Redbreast.

I've seen Midleton VR for 135 in the local Supervalue -

I got a bottle ( the 2008 ) at Heathrow a week or so ago for 92 Euro . It is overpriced here for what it is - but still a cracking whiskey

• Advertisement

Just to add to this thread about collecting whiskey I got a lovely present for a certain birthday ( won't mention what age but supposedly life starts now )

It's a Midleton Single cask ( cask no 95591 ) and only 288 bottles of it .

shanel23 wrote: »
    Just to add to this thread about collecting whiskey I got a lovely present for a certain birthday ( won't mention what age but supposedly life starts now )

Nice very nice ....

Actually now that you mention it ....

This is a bottle to go for if you can really push out to the asking price of 200Euro ... It is a lot but remember this will not be done ever again so worth the initial pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If you haven't already, get a bottle of the distillery special from one of the Jamesons distilleries. Its only around 45 euro.

shanel23 wrote: »

Very nice. It's a lovely whiskey too.

There might be another cask of this type coming out soon, although it takes IDL so long to do anything that it may be Christmas before anything's done, or even longer.

They were going to do a couple of single cask for Europe and America too. Does anyone know if this happened? I have not seen any sign of it.

Sorry Whiskeychaser, you're right its the 12 year old in that pub.

So where is Redmonds in Ranelagh? Is it near the Luas Stop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

So where is Redmonds in Ranelagh? Is it near the Luas Stop?
    Not far. Down towards the Triangle. Map.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not far. Down towards the Triangle. Map.

Sweet, thanks man. I think I remember it now, is it near a McDonalds and maybe a Centra?

Thanks... off I go this Saturday :D.

Sweet, thanks man. I think I remember it now, is it near a McDonalds and maybe a Centra?

Thanks... off I go this Saturday :D.

I think your on the right track ...There used to be an Indian on the other side a few doors down where you could bring your own which was a handy sale of a few extra bottles of wine for Redmonds and AIB is across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

Tullamore Dew are bringing out a new 10 Year Old Single Malt in the next couple of weeks. I know someone who was lucky to sample it from the first bottles to come off the line this week. It is outstanding. Matured in ex bourbon, sherry, port and madeira casks, the only whiskey in Ireland to be matured in four different casks. The Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin or the Heritage Centre in Tullamore should have it as soon as it is released. Check out www.irelandwhiskeytrail.com for details of the Celtic Whiskey Shop and information about the best whiskey pubs and bars in the country.

Advertisement