Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to add to Irish Whiskey collection ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I had heard this before and that it was initially going to be released in the US ... I just happened to be in the Heritage Centre last week and they confirmed that it would become available here soon.

However what is puzzling me is the fact that all rumours have stated a 10yo Single Malt yet the release in the states is a 10yo Reserve clearly stating 'Blend'

see picture here

So does anybody have clarification on this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I had heard this before and that it was initially going to be released in the US ... I just happened to be in the Heritage Centre last week and they confirmed that it would become available here soon.

However what is puzzling me is the fact that all rumours have stated a 10yo Single Malt yet the release in the states is a 10yo Reserve clearly stating 'Blend'

see picture here

I heard that Barry Walsh initially put together some non-peated single malts for Tullamore, using whiskey from Cooley. C&C stalled or something happened, and they ended up using the whiskey for the new Tyrconnell range.

Also heard today that the Midleton Single Cask is going to be difficult to repeat. It was going to be repeated, but ... You'd never know, though.

That picture also says "triple distilled" on it, so it's not the one from Cooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

see picture here

C&C released a 10 Year Old Tullamore Dew blend initially for the US last year, though the Celtic Whiskey Shop got some (I think). It is now on general release in main international markets including Ireland, though hard to source. The brand new Tullamore Dew 10 Year Old is a Single Malt, probably sourced from Bushmills. It is going to be a very limited release for this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I quite like Inishowen. http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/inishowen/whisky328.html It's nice and peaty without tasting too much like a scotch.

mezzdon wrote: »
    C&C released a 10 Year Old Tullamore Dew blend initially for the US last year, though the Celtic Whiskey Shop got some (I think). It is now on general release in main international markets including Ireland, though hard to source. The brand new Tullamore Dew 10 Year Old is a Single Malt, probably sourced from Bushmills. It is going to be a very limited release for this year.

That is excellent news ... always great to see a new Irish limited releases... Just hope I can get my hands on a few.

I know Cooley were hoping to do this also but in one way it was fortunate that they lost the battle as we now have the wonderful Tyrconnel cask finishes. Maderia, Pork, Sherry whaich are wonderful and well worth a go, especially the Maderia for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I know Cooley were hoping to do this also but in one way it was fortunate that they lost the battle as we now have the wonderful Tyrconnel cask finishes. Maderia, Pork, Sherry whaich are wonderful and well worth a go, especially the Maderia for me.
    A good use for all those pork barrels we have in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ordered the Redbreast 15 Year Old after the recommendations on this thread, I'll let you know what I think. I have the 10yo so looking forward to this.

I'm also ordering the Tyrconnell Sherry Wood Finish Single Cask 10yo as I hear great things about it and am a fan of Cooley whiskeys anyway.
    sionnach wrote: »
    A limited run of 5000 bottles of 15yr Greenore is out now too, might be worth grabbing one.

It was worth it alright. Very nice indeed.

Don't know if this is appropriate here, but I'm selling a Midleton Very Rare 1995 on eBay if anyone wants to pay lots and lots of money for it!

I'd also recommend Highland Park 21 for anyone's collection. It will be changed to a 40% abv version soon, and the current one is a brilliant whiskey by all accounts - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Highland-Park-21-JAHRE-0-7-L-Orkney-Whisky-47-5_W0QQitemZ400053862751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpirituosen?hash=item5d2511815f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's not me selling the Highland Park, by the way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Brockagh wrote: »
    Don't know if this is appropriate here, but I'm selling a Midleton Very Rare 1995 on eBay if anyone wants to pay lots and lots of money for it!

I'd also recommend Highland Park 21 for anyone's collection. It will be changed to a 40% abv version soon, and the current one is a brilliant whiskey by all accounts - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Highland-Park-21-JAHRE-0-7-L-Orkney-Whisky-47-5_W0QQitemZ400053862751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpirituosen?hash=item5d2511815f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's not me selling the Highland Park, by the way

Thanks for the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Brockagh.

I meant to ask this previously but never late than never...

A few months ago a bottle of Middleton 1985 went for £465 on E Bay. I was bidding on this, but I gave up because I couldn't find any kind of comparitive.

BUT are we talking here about the relative rarity of the whiskey or its quality? I recall someone on here remarking that the earlier Middletons were better quality in terms of the blends used,I suppose at over 500 a bottle its all relative unless you buy two;)

The other point is in relation to importation of alcohol through the post, is there a potential problem in relation to this in respect of An Post?

PS I love your tag:D, best of luck with the auction, I'm going to have a rattle at it myself,

"This is sealed and full, but I can empty the contents before sending if the buyer wishes, as I am selling it as a collectable bottle."

• Advertisement

Brockagh.

I meant to ask this previously but never late than never...

A few months ago a bottle of Middleton 1985 went for £465 on E Bay. I was bidding on this, but I gave up because I couldn't find any kind of comparitive.

BUT are we talking here about the relative rarity of the whiskey or its quality? I recall someone on here remarking that the earlier Middletons were better quality in terms of the blends used,I suppose at over 500 a bottle its all relative unless you buy two;)

The other point is in relation to importation of alcohol through the post, is there a potential problem in relation to this in respect of An Post?

PS I love your tag:D, best of luck with the auction, I'm going to have a rattle at it myself,

"This is sealed and full, but I can empty the contents before sending if the buyer wishes, as I am selling it as a collectable bottle."

Hi Interlocked

The quality of the Midletons has generally gone up and up, in my opinion, so the 1985 would not have been as good as the more recent versions. There was much younger whiskey in them back then, I believe (not that younger whiskey always means a lesser whiskey). Now they have older stocks to put in. So the price reflects the rarety rather than the quality, in this case.

I have never had any problems with recieving bottles, but I beleive some people have. Technically, I am selling the bottles as a collectable, so the alcohol "is not for consumption".

With An Post, they don't insure glass in the post, so if it breaks, I have to pay. It has only happened once. I have had a few packages that never arrived. Stolen, I presume. As they were coming into Ireland, they were insured, so I was able to get the money.

I suppose that when this was for sale, the whisky was worth, say, IR£50. The whiskey has not got better over the years, so the value is in the package as a collectable item.

I also posted an Ardbeg, but eBay took it off.

Midleton 1984 was the very first Midleton released in the current yearly series. Midleton 1985 being the second obviously. A bit rare but do pop up fairly regularly on Ebay.

These are more for the collectors as strangely they are not thought to be the best whiskeys with 1984 - 1987 getting poor reviews. However ever this is not to say that some people will not love them. 2005 & 2006 has been rated the best yet with 2008 also getting a good review but I cannot confirm the 2008 review as of yet. SO it seems to be working the other way bad to good.

In relation to postage of bottles.

An Post have forbid the transportation of liquid (never mind alcohol) through the postal system for a good many years but you usually could always get away with it. It could be possible that they will start enforcing this more strictly but don't know yet. I know of one person lately that has had a bottle stopped (confiscated) coming from Italy.

Previous to this there was never any issues getting bottles from Europe and the only issue getting them from the States was that customs might sting you with a Duty/Vat payment.

I got 2 bottles one from the UK & one US this week through the normal post with out issue.

Last thing if your buying from an on-line supplier/retailer in Germany they usually send via DHL which is the national postal services but over here it will come through the courier service hence by passing An Post so fairly safe there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Thanks for the replies lads, very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Connemara 12 is good, alright, but it's way over-priced, compared to scotch whisky of similar age. However, you can get Cadenhead bottlings of Cooley whiskey that's brilliant and better value.

The Bushmills 1975 Millennium edition is worth getting. It's about 200 euro in the Celtic Whiskey Shop. Jameson 18 is also good.

Or of you really want to splash out, Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve is brilliant, but it's 400 euro.

You can buy 'Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve' for £199 in UK travel retail shops.

You can buy 'Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve' for £199 in UK travel retail shops.

That is excellent an price .... compared to 400Euro here :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

In whiskey, higher price doesn't mean better quality. Back in the 80s, Midleton was considered a poor whiskey, which is possibly why the 80s bottles are so rare now.

Seems to me that a much more sensible option is instead of buying one bottle for £465 you should buy a lot of cheaper, better whiskeys. That way, even if you want them as an investment, at least they won't be worth much less than they are now. Redbreast and Greenspot would be great in that regard, although the greenore 8 year old is quite tasty too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is it really worth it though?

Is it really worth it though?

It's approaching the right price at least. It is very very good, and not the kind of whiskey you'd be knocking back.

Here, I have another Midleton for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250451292229&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

a '94 - lovely - may have to bid on that one .

My Dad has two bottles of that - one full and one 1/4 full :) - himself and myself polished off the other 3/4s the day my daughter was born ! much better than champagne to celebrate a new born :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

It's approaching the right price at least. It is very very good, and not the kind of whiskey you'd be knocking back.

Here, I have another Midleton for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250451292229&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

250stg - are you happy with that price?

What would you expect to get for a 1985 bottle ?

• Advertisement

I suppose it's okay. Have seen these go for more, but maybe everyone has one at this stage. I can't remember what I paid for it in the first place. I'd say the price is fair to middlin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I'd go for one of the following,

Jameson 12 Year Old
    Jameson 18 Year Old
    Jameson Gold
    Midleton Very Rare
    Powers 12 Year Old
    Crested Ten
    Redbreast 12 Year Old
    Redbreast 15 Year Old
    Greenspot

The only one you might have to think twice about purchasing is the Midleton Very Rare and that's only because of the cost! All are lovely Whiskey's.

Advertisement