Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling IT Boffins - Odd problem after upgrade ....

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Long story short.

I bought upgrade hardware for myself - X48 Intel board, Quad Core Processor and proceeded to rebuild my wife's aging AMD 2800 PC with my previous bits (AMD4200)

Effectively, I used a new drive and after a failed Ghost from my Raid drives, proceeded to reinstall XP.

The only change to my previously running hardware was the removal of a Creative Sound card and the removal of my 8800GTX and the install of a new 8600GTS that I had bought for her PC.

I installed XP, using my 20Inch LCD Monitor, directly connected to the DVI output of the 8600GTS. Install went perfect, no issues.

I then moved the PC back to her desk and plugged in the 19inch CRT via the DVI output that I used, but needed to use a VGA plug to convert as the GFX card only has DVI output x 2.

Monitor refuses to come on, no matter what I try.

I tested the monitor with my laptop, VGA directly, no issues.

Took the PC back to my desk. Works perfectly when connected via DVI direct.

Anyone know why the CRT doesnt switch on when the PC boots? The BIOS screen doesnt show - so its not OS level, its before.

I have plugged everything out - switched the monitor off - all of it, no idea.

Its as if it doesnt like the DVI - VGA input. I also tested 1 other VGA / DVI Convertor - no change.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Could be resolution. Are you seeing the boot up screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Could be that the signal rate the card uses by default is a problem for the CRT??

It's an odd one all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

GreenHell wrote: »
    Could be resolution. Are you seeing the boot up screen?

Nope, no boot screen. I also reset the bios to fail safe values.

So the pattern is, works on DVI (Digital) - will not work on VGA.

macrubicon wrote: »
    Could be that the signal rate the card uses by default is a problem for the CRT??

It's an odd one all right.

Signal rate as in refresh rate? Nope - LCD only uses 60Hz which is no problem for the CRT. Its also still set to low resolution and nothing higher than 800x600 while on the LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Does the intel board have a vga input?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

If the connection is dvi-d it won't work with your crt.
    It has to be dvi-i.

GreenHell wrote: »
    Does the intel board have a vga input?

The Intel mobo is my new machine and working fine with my 8800GTX.

conceited wrote: »
    If the connection is dvi-d it won't work with your crt.
    It has to be dvi-i.

How do I know what version of DVI it is? Would the DVI to VGA adaptor that was supplied not take care of this?

This is the actual GFX card in question:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341637

277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.pngDVI_Connector_Types.svg

• Advertisement

Hey nevermind my posts of course the connections dvi-i it's a new graphics cards silly me.

Hey nevermind my posts of course the connections dvi-i it's a new graphics cards silly me.

Now im even worse off - no closer to an answer - argh!

Thanks for your input btw.

lol sorry about that,
    How olds that crt anwyay?

lol sorry about that,
    How olds that crt anwyay?

4 years roughly. Its a good monitor - 19inch flat screen AOC - 1600x1200.

Do you think its 'too old' for the input?

Nah definetly not to old ,only thing i can think of is try another crt or try another adapter.

Nah definetly not to old ,only thing i can think of is try another crt or try another adapter.

Ive used another adaptor that came with my 8800GTX - no difference. I did notice the pin out was different and ill go do some checking later again.

I have a spare 17inch CRT - but its on loan to someone else and dont really want to spend on another LCD - will check - reading some support forums to get some ideas.

Spent some time during lunch trying to get it sorted. Tried my analog input of my LCD - no change.

Spoke to XFX support online - they are very good - havent seen this before but suspect it might be faulty card or incompatibility.

Will try the card in my new PC tonight and see if it does the same. Have a loan card as a temporary measure at least - hope that works without issue.

Its fixed, looked to be PSU or something to do with the power connectors. Dont know yet how I fixed it - but its sorted (for now).

Advertisement