Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

aircon squeal

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

If I turn my aircon off Econ mode and onto Auto mode, you can hear a high pitched squeal from the pump which goes away after a five minutes. It works perfectly. I rang AutoglassIRL in Cork who reckoned there and then it was a knackered pump and it'll be €1000 all told.

Any shortcutting this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't use the aircon? :D

Might be the belt driving the compressor squeeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Have someone spray water on the belt when you turn it on. If the squealing stops its either the belt and or tensioner .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I would have thought that if it was the belt, it would squeal whether the pump was working or not.

It doesn't happen from cold either. Even if the car has been driving for an hour, if you reach for the auto button, it squeals in exactly the same way. EDIT: I'm almost sure it's not a belt- it's a very mechanically scratchy/ squeal sound.

Surely there's someone who can remove and repair these things without 4 figure repair bills????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

In econ mode blended air is used which keeps the compressor from cycling. My suggestion was to do the easy stuff by elimination. The pulley turns on the a/c housing whenever the engine is running however when you select a/c mode a magnetic clutch brings the ac compressor into play. The additional load can cause belt squeal esp if there is oil or dust on the belt or the belt has stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'll give it a go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement