Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call of Duty 6 goes sci-fi?

• 27-06-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Source CVG:
    Ahead of this weekend's Call of Duty: World at War reveal, via Xbox Live Marketplace, comes a tasty little rumour hinting that the COD4 developer's next game will be a bit on the science fiction side.

Take it with a pinch of salt for the time being but an insider from Infinity Ward is reported to have said, "we are currently working on a new sci-fi title, we cannot release any more information as of yet, we may or may not announce it at E3."

We're not sure how much into the future we're talking here and we hope we're not going to be shooting little green men or vampires on Mars. We've done a little digging only to be greeted by blank looks, which doesn't actually rule anything out in our experience. But it doesn't confirm anything either.

Usually we wouldn't go for such randomness, but we've got a funny feeling about this one. More soon maybe...?

I realise it's too early to talk about CoD5, never mind CoD6! But I came across this article and thought I'd share it with you. If CoD goes Sci-Fi, I'm out lads...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd prefer if we skipped COD5 and moved on to the proper sequel developed by IW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

zAbbo wrote: »
    I'd prefer if we skipped COD5 and moved on to the proper sequel developed by IW.
    Couldn't agree more! A bit like CoD3 basically... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Likewise.

Dunno what to make of a sci-fi edition to be honest, it'd have to be spectacular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

May just be a new IP, don't think they said anything about it being a new CoD. Although Battlefield did the same thing, so isn't outside the realms of possibility. Hopefully IW will leave out the adware if so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Battlefield did it, this is true, but how many people play 2142? I did for a bit (at least a solid month) and it really wasn't a patch on BF2. I think it'll be a while yet before we see or they do any more about this.

That said, if they managed to roll the current COD4 gameplay into a new package with different textures/names/whatever, I do think it'd work. The temptation for the developer is to say to themselves "well, it's space, we should have stronger weapons and maybe personal shields and WALKERS...." Again, I point at 2142 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ohh jesus hopefully not, I much prefare realism over fantasy, as said Battlefield 2142 wasnt a patch of 2 soo lets hope the next proper COD isnt sci-fi :P

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

As long as it's good shooter I don't care when it's set!
    If you want realism play Red orchestra!

Unless they manage to pull a rabbit out of their a$$ on that one, I will not be buying a Sci-Fi CoD Game. I only like "reality" games myself (basically you'll never see me playing WoW or UT)...

Yeah but quake and UT are pants.
    Did you ever try realism mods?
    When I did they put my idea of realism to shame.

Yeah but quake and UT are pants.
    Did you ever try realism mods?
    When I did they put my idea of realism to shame.
    Nope... Any footage on YouTube or something to give me a fair idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

The Cod4 engine is awesome as it is and should have at least another 2 years in it. How possible is it for IW to release things like co-op multiplayer, new guns and maps thorugh LIVE and the like? I know there's obviously new maps available but could they implement new guns/camo/games etc.? Theres plenty of life in her yet.

But has the engine really changed since CoD2? I'm not sure it has TBH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Fair enough, maybe not the engine but the graphics have certaintly been polished and MP greatky enhanced. And who's to say Cod2 isn't a fantastic game anyway? I bought this after I played through cod4 SP and I loved it.

edit - I meant to mention the trailer for Cod : World at War

It looked awful.

Nope... Any footage on YouTube or something to give me a fair idea?

It isn't a big scene in cod4 yet and i doubt anyone made any vids for cod2.
    But you if you really want to play our servers have a realism mod for cod2 and cod4.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant Realism mods for UT and Quake there Sod'o swords...

I am familiar with CoD Realism mods and I despise them!

armour87 wrote: »
    Fair enough, maybe not the engine but the graphics have certaintly been polished and MP greatky enhanced. And who's to say Cod2 isn't a fantastic game anyway? I bought this after I played through cod4 SP and I loved it.

edit - I meant to mention the trailer for Cod : World at War

It looked awful.
    Indeed the graphics are absolutely stunning in CoD4 but I'm still annoyed about the inaccuracy when you compare it to CoD1. It's just not as good. But it looks far better indeed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Uggggh the future. Futuristic FPS's are always marketed to us as revolutionary but usually end up being completely bland, just replacing bullets with pew pew lasers :/

I was hoping for possibly vietnam or just a direct sequel to cod4 in the modern day, new setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The only future that would be "good" would be a post-apocalyptic setting, something along the lines of a cross between Doom2 and Stalker :D Otherwise, meh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

never overrule COD5. it could well be mediocre, but give it a chance. im not even gonna think about COD6 until i get the full story on COD5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I wouldn't have a problem with this.

• Advertisement

Oh sorry, I thought you meant Realism mods for UT and Quake there Sod'o swords...

I am familiar with CoD Realism mods and I despise them!

How in the name of god can you have UT and Quake "realism" mods????

And when did you last try cod realism mods?
    They've come on a fair bit.

How in the name of god can you have UT and Quake "realism" mods????
    That's why I was surprised! Didn't make any sense to me...
    And when did you last try cod realism mods?
    They've come on a fair bit.
    I'm sorry Sod'o swords but I'm just one of these gamers that finds Realism Mods are for n00bs... I know it's terrible to be that way but I just can't stand realism! :o

I'm sorry Sod'o swords but I'm just one of these gamers that finds Realism Mods are for n00bs...

Blasphomy!

Sorry... But I feel that way since the CoD1 days! :o

With cod1 being rubbish as a whole i doubt any mod could save it.
    Try it now on cod4 or cod2, you will be surprised!

Unless they manage to pull a rabbit out of their a$$ on that one, I will not be buying a Sci-Fi CoD Game. I only like "reality" games myself (basically you'll never see me playing WoW or UT)...

The first "Red Faction" on PS2 was sci-fi(ish) and was pretty spectacular. Decent weapons, great scenery and the ability to blow holes in the walls/ceilings etc. without anti-gravity and lazers and the like was fantastic.
    Never played the 2nd one.

Not to mention Half-life, Timesplitters 2 & 3, Duke Nukem 3d etc.

With cod1 being rubbish as a whole i doubt any mod could save it.
    Try it now on cod4 or cod2, you will be surprised!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought it was the best game I ever played! LOVED it so I did!

And no, I won't trying any realism mods on CoD2 or CoD4... I already know I won't like them!

Don't get me started on that game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

terrible idea, i have to agree if it does go sci fi im completely done with "call of duty"

• Advertisement

Back on point if they do make a future cod it won't be lazers and space battles.
    It will just be bout 20 or so years from now and with weapons that now are only on the drawing board or in the development stage.
    I doubt it will be with guns out of this world but with weapons that are possible to make.
    Well i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Yeah that would be great, like weapons from "future Wepons" on the Discovery Channel such as small grenade launchers that are semi auto and guns that can see around corners. :)

Yea, I'd say they'd definitely raid the "Future Weapons" tapes and see what looked cool :) oooh, imagine if it featured a "UAV Pilot" class who basically sat on his arse in a safe place controlling a UAV with weapons? That might be fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

CoD2142, anyone? Now that would be epic!

Epic FAIL... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Kharn wrote: »
    Epic FAIL... :p

LOL:D

If they went sci-fi like battlefield did it would be a pity but if they went for a more ghost recon approach- using weapons and equipment that are currently in development i'd say it would be good

• Advertisement
Advertisement