Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Overshoes

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

I had thought that I'd get away with it till the Winter, but all this rain is makin me crave something to keep my feet dry on our spins. So, what's the best waterproof overshoe to get, or should I just invest in Sealskinz socks and let the shoes get wet?

Also, if they're available in one of the city centre shops tonight it'd be a bonus (wouldn't mind havin em tomorrow!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use BBB Waterflex Overshoes which you can get in most bike shops. I find them exceedingly effective- have experience cycling up to 50km with these in the rain (not bucketing mind) and feet were perfectly dry. Shorter distances in bucketing rain and feet remain fine.

These are lightweight but waterproof; I find them generally enough for the winter too, especially if paired with warm socks.

Got mine in Joe Daly's for €23 or so which is a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i use these

made from neoprene and they are really good

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hi,
    I use these when out on the mountain bike with no over shoes and my feet stay dry unless of course the water goes in at top.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4702

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi Tiny, Can second Blorg on the BBBs. Cheap and cheerful and they work. Got mine in CycleLogical and I'd say most places have them. Sometimes use them for the whole windproofing and keeping feet warm thing on spins too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd say the main function of these is to stop ground water getting sprayed onto the shoe. Do they do much to prevent the gallons you get rolling down your leg into your shoe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

blorg wrote: »
    I use BBB Waterflex Overshoes which you can get in most bike shops. I find them exceedingly effective- have experience cycling up to 50km with these in the rain (not bucketing mind) and feet were perfectly dry. Shorter distances in bucketing rain and feet remain fine.

These are lightweight but waterproof; I find them generally enough for the winter too, especially if paired with warm socks.

Got mine in Joe Daly's for €23 or so which is a good price.

Blorg - are they fleece-lined?

I saw someone that had a pair of these sort of oversocks that were waterproof (to a certain extent) and fleece lined. I remember thinking that they'd be deadly at the start/end of winter but couldn't find them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Aidan- yes, it is a very light sort of fleece lining. These are pretty lightweight overshoes really but they do keep the water out and provide a fair wind/cold protection too in my experience, as long as it is not really freezing.

Here's full details from BBB. You can see that they rate them tops for waterproofing but not so much for cold/wind. Personally I use them all winter for up to 60km or so spins- if you were going longer you might want a bit more. Feet have maybe got a little cold aften an hour or two when the temperatures have been below 0. BBB do a whole range with warmer ones too, I think I may get a warm pair for depth of winter.

They are very effective at keeping the rain out in my experience. I've never had a problem with groundwater/seepage through the cleat while on the bike, only when I've stepped in a puddle. For me they prevent 99% water dripping down your leg but this probably depends on how well they fit you- it is slightly elasticated at this point and has a velcro strap so you can pull it quite tight closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

blorg wrote: »
    Aidan- yes, it is a very light sort of fleece lining. These are pretty lightweight overshoes really but they do keep the water out and provide a fair wind/cold protection too in my experience, as long as it is not really freezing.

Here's full details from BBB. You can see that they rate them tops for waterproofing but not so much for cold/wind. Personally I use them all winter for up to 60km or so spins- if you were going longer you might want a bit more. Feet have maybe got a little cold aften an hour or two when the temperatures have been below 0. BBB do a whole range with warmer ones too, I think I may get a warm pair for depth of winter.

They are very effective at keeping the rain out in my experience. I've never had a problem with groundwater/seepage through the cleat while on the bike, only when I've stepped in a puddle. For me they prevent 99% water dripping down your leg but this probably depends on how well they fit you- it is slightly elasticated at this point and has a velcro strap so you can pull it quite tight closed.

Nice one. Gotta get me some of those

Advertisement