Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

English Reg Plates

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello,

Can anyone explain how english reg plates work and how to read them or point me in the direction of a good website that will explain them.

I see things like this is a 54 plate ??? what does this mean ?

Regards,

Francob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Francob wrote: »
    I see things like this is a 54 plate ??? what does this mean ?

54 plate would be registered between September 04 and March 05. 04 Plate is between March 04 and September 04.

05 Plate between March 05 and September 05. 55 Plate between September 05 and March 06. Etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Francob

Thanks biko ! got me head around it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

R.O.R wrote: »
    54 plate would be registered between September 04 and March 05. 04 Plate is between March 04 and September 04.

05 Plate between March 05 and September 05. 55 Plate between September 05 and March 06. Etc.....

Stupid system really. It should be from January to June and then June to December, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

this is a good point to remember
    a 53 plate car is cheaper than an 04 plate car in the UK.
    but if the 53 plate is registered in 2004 then both cars get a 04 plate over here.

so you should always look for cars registered between jan and march in the UK.
    for better deal in price in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Stupid system really. It should be from January to June and then June to December, etc.
    It was done deliberately like that if I remember, and industry led. Something to do with them not wanting the peak times for "keeping up with the jones's" new car buying being at Christmas and in the middle of the Summer holidays. Kinda makes sense, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Alun wrote: »
    It was done deliberately like that if I remember, and industry led. Something to do with them not wanting the peak times for "keeping up with the jones's" new car buying being at Christmas and in the middle of the Summer holidays. Kinda makes sense, I suppose.

Yes, under the previous system, the year-letter change date was August 1st every year - when this new system was proposed, industry fought to have renewals split rather than having a short sharp period of concentrated activity (much like we still have in Jan.) and March and Sept. were chosen on the basis mentioned above

Advertisement