Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value Road Tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Harpz wrote: »
    So after my blow out experience on the ww100 im gonna take a spare tyre on the ROK. So foldable tyre needed (whats the benefit of non-folding tyres?)
    Gatorskins get lots of good reviews but am tempted by the GP4000

The Gatorskins are supposed to be slippy when wet, and the GP4000 get good reviews, especially the 'S' ones with the 'Black Chilli' compound, and only a couple quid more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

From what I gather, folding tyres are superior to non-folding tyres. They are lighter as they use kevlar beads as opposed to steel...and they fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Gatorskins are a good puncture resistant tyre, good for touring or commuting, almost as much grip as a proper race tyre (they aren't particularly slippy in the wet but maybe aren't quite as grippy as a full on race tyre); the GP4000 is more of an all-season racing tyre. For a road bike I'd go for the GP4000.

Main benefit of non-folding tyre is that they are cheaper, I don't think there is any other benefit.

TBH I think a spare tyre is overkill; I've cycled thousands of km without one. I'd consider one for a long tour (although I've done up to 1,000km without one) but think it's complete overkill for the ROK. Having said that folding tyres are small and light so if if gives you peace of mind go for it.

What was your experience in the W100?

Consider an emergency tyre boot instead- Park Tool have one, alternately people suggest duct tape, plastic toothpaste tubes and other things. I've fixed small rips and holes (from blowouts) with a puncture repair patch and superglue (always pack superglue.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The Gatorskins are supposed to be slippy when wet, and the GP4000 get good reviews, especially the 'S' ones with the 'Black Chilli' compound, and only a couple quid more expensive

Have to say I've found the Gatorskins to be very grippy in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

blorg wrote: »
    Consider an emergency tyre boot instead- Park Tool have one, alternately people suggest duct tape, plastic toothpaste tubes and other things. I've fixed small rips (from blowouts) with a puncture repair patch and superglue (always pack superglue.)

I used a piece of denim before to repair a blow-out worked a charm had to cut it off some jeans in my backpack now i keep a few pieces in my repair kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Had a blow-out just this evening as I was cycling home. Nasty big rip this time, stuck a puncture patch on it but changed the tyre as soon as I got back. My superglue tube was glued stuck!

I've been using Schwalbe Ultremo tyres which I got for €27.50 from Cycle SuperStore with the loyalty discount (anyone can get this, it was my first purchase.) Very happy with them, have around 1,000km on them. Very light, roll and grip well, durable. Punctured today, sure, but there isn't a tyre I haven't punctured on (excepting Armadillos, which handle really badly.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

"(excepting Armadillos, which handle really badly.)"
    That, somehow, triggered 3 hours of watching Harry Enfield sketches on Youtube. :pac:

blorg wrote: »
    Had a blow-out just this evening as I was cycling home. Nasty big rip this time, stuck a puncture patch on it but changed the tyre as soon as I got back. My superglue tube was glued stuck!

I've been using Schwalbe Ultremo tyres which I got for €27.50 from Cycle SuperStore with the loyalty discount (anyone can get this, it was my first purchase.) Very happy with them, have around 1,000km on them. Very light, roll and grip well, durable. Punctured today, sure, but there isn't a tyre I haven't punctured on (excepting Armadillos, which handle really badly.)

Advertisement