Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Fence - how to set up?

Options
  • 27-06-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I'm about to put up an electric fence around my small-holding and need some input on how to set it up.
    Right now I'm planning to put wooden stakes at the corners for strength and place the metal poles along the distance between. Need to know what distance to maintain between the metal poles and where to get the metal poles - are there suppliers who provide prices in the Limerick / North Tipp area, or is my local co-op supplier the best place to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I'm about to put up an electric fence around my small-holding and need some input on how to set it up.
    Right now I'm planning to put wooden stakes at the corners for strength and place the metal poles along the distance between. Need to know what distance to maintain between the metal poles and where to get the metal poles - are there suppliers who provide prices in the Limerick / North Tipp area, or is my local co-op supplier the best place to go?

Ok, that's easy...

Are you going to put the fence up yourself?
    If so, buy the stakes from your local co-op - I would advise you not to put any metal stakes in at all, just put large stakes on the corner and smaller stakes in between every 5 or 6 meters. You can buy wire, insulators, staples, electric fencer and everything else you need at the best price from your local co-op. Look at how a neighbout put up their fence and use their methods - its a very easy job to do if you are any way handy.

Are you going to get a contractor to do it?
    If so, look up golden pages and contact them - they will be keen with the economic slowdown. FRS are good in my area, but I don't know what they're like down there.

Regards

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I presume you are just putting 1 strand of wire ?
    As Dan says it may be best to use all timber with strainers at the ends & lighter ones in between.
    Ok The distance between the posts depends on the type of terrain . level & flat you would get away with a fairly far distance, where as up & down (hills & hollows) would require more .

If this is a long term project it is well worth the effort to source good quality timber posts

The native Irish wood is utterly useless with posts decayig after 5 years or even less , go for imported cresoted posts (Lativan Pine ) & these will last at least 15 years or so , while the initial cost might seem excessive , the long term saving of replacing rotten posts & repairing broken fences is well worth the effort

The Farm Relief Services (Roscrea) call a large selection of posts wire etc,
    also the Arrabawn Co-op stores , Ballywilliam, Nenagh, & Bridgetown (Co. Clare) carry some Swedish posts

Ps

just on a foot note the most important part of any electric fence system is the earth. Use at very least 4 earth rods bonded in a semi circle at least 4/5 metres apart. A old copper cylinder buried in the soil is also ideal & was worked in very dry (sandy) soil where the rods failed

Advertisement