Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Yes they are for the Garda, the reserved MBRS spaces are for the MBRS staff.
    the yellow spaces are pay and display so when the garda or someone else comes to leave a sample off there's more then likely spaces free in the pay and display, thats why the rates are so high.

Sorry but I'm not buying that. Gardai have no requirement for a parking space when dropping off a sample, it doesn't take an hour to walk in then back out again! They generally just pull up outside as far as I can see and anyway can you really see the clampers doing a garda car?

On the other hand there was a lot of extra hassle with visiting lecturers from hospitals being unable to find spaces in time to deliver their lectures in health sciences last year, short term high cost pay and display would solve that for the reasons you gave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Buy it or not that is the reason its there, just yesterday there was 2 Garda cars parked there waiting for samples.
    It does not take 2 seconds to drop in and log samples its slightly more complicated then that, and whilst they're doing that they need somewhere to park so they will not block up the access to the carpark.
    There's loads of other places visiting lectures give their classes on campus, and funnily enough there isn't high cost pay and display parking there, but if you want to believe in conspiracy theories go ahead.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Hmmm, somthing is telling me you might be based in MBRS? ;) In that case I shall bow to your superior knowledge of the area...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Nah not based there, I know it well enough though..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Come on Ernie, pretty much all research is of this kind.

That comment bespeaks a far too narrow conception of research. For one thing, it excludes the research of the entire faculties of Arts & Celtic Studies and Social Sciences. For another, it shows a woeful understanding of what a University is: a domain for pure research, that is not carried out either for its applications or its cash value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    That comment bespeaks a far too narrow conception of research. For one thing, it excludes the research of the entire faculties of Arts & Celtic Studies and Social Sciences. For another, it shows a woeful understanding of what a University is: a domain for pure research, that is not carried out either for its applications or its cash value.

It's easier to get funding for research with immediate benefits. You can keep your head in the clouds and preach about what "should" be or you can accept the reality that is capitalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

It's easier to get funding for research with immediate benefits. You can keep your head in the clouds and preach about what "should" be or you can accept the reality that is capitalism.

Go and educate yourself about what universities are and what principles they are founded upon and then, maybe, you can start a conversation with me about capitalism and its predations.

Meanwhile, I note that your comments here are incoherent: first you say that 'all research' is research for money (ignoring that whole faculties do research that has no financial payoff). Now you're saying that 'it's easier to get funding for research with immediate benefits,' which is a non sequitur that nobody would deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Meanwhile, I note that your comments here are incoherent: first you say that 'all research' is research for money (ignoring that whole faculties do research that has no financial payoff). Now you're saying that 'it's easier to get funding for research with immediate benefits,' which is a non sequitur that nobody would deny
    Well clap clap for taking "all research" out of the following sentence.
    me wrote:
    Come on Ernie, pretty much all research is of this kind.
    Since you seem unable to join the dots between the two sentences in question, allow me to spell it out for you:

Come on Ernie, pretty much all research is of this kind because it's easier to get funding for research with immediate benefits. (So you can see that this is the type of research that is being encouraged, yes?)

I can see how the absence of a conjunction could throw you off.:rolleyes:

Anyway I'm not going to pander to your weird compulsion to be devil's advocate and drag this thread further off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    ...they're still stuck over the benefit in kind bit. If students have to pay for what staff get for free, it's a benefit.

Parking spaces for employees are not subject to BIK. There was a threat of it happening back in '98 which is why they got rid of the UCD car stickers (proved useful if anything happened to your car). Although they are talking about introducing it again to reduce congestion in the city centres.

One way to free up spaces is to have the gardai waiting at all the entrances for unaccompanied provisional licence holders. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Sarn wrote: »
    One way to free up spaces is to have the gardai waiting at all the entrances for unaccompanied provisional licence holders. :P
    I like it! Easily as lucrative as sitting on the M50 with a speed gun! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement