Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehogs.

Options
  • 27-06-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I am just putting out a call to any poster from the Dublin 7 area, Cabra especially, who may have a hedgehog in the garden or who may have observed any in the past, to let me know here.

I have seen either one wee hog on three nights running or three seperate beasts. I like to think it's the latter :).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't live in D7 but I'd imagine that you are getting more than one visitor as if the environment is suitable for one hedgehog there's probably plenty of others about too. Each hog may forage in several gardens each night.

I thought i had one hedgehog in the garden last year but one night i went out and there were 3 of them demolishing the food I'd left out for "the" hedgehog. By the end of the summer I was putting out a full tin of cat food + some dry food every night.

Thread and pics
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123195

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The weather was too wet the past few days to sit out and watch. I left some cat food out however and it was taken but there are plenty of moggies in the area, so I can't be sure if a hog took it.

I'll keep an eye out for them though. Lovely creatures. Also, the best slug control on the planet :)!!

a few years ago one got lost in our garden and couldnt find his way out, was making a kinda whinging noise! we moved it across the road to the bushes. was so shy, just curled up in a ball if you went near it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

there are plenty of moggies in the area, so I can't be sure if a hog took it.
    You could put together a hog feeding station and put the food in it. The idea is to restict the access to the food so that something the size of an average cat can't get at it but a hog can.

A small skinny cat may still be able to get in however :) I have not seen any hogs this year so far but a very small cat and birds have gotten at the food I left in the feeding station.
    a few years ago one got lost in our garden and couldnt find his way out, was making a kinda whinging noise! we moved it across the road to the bushes. was so shy, just curled up in a ball if you went near it
    The ones i had last year were not shy at all, they would eat away with me right beside them and would allow me to hand feed them too. Sudden movments or noises would make them curl up in a ball however.

Advertisement