Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying in the UK

Options
  • 27-06-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just wondering when buying in the UK and driving back in the purchased car what is the story with insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

vox wrote: »
    Just wondering when buying in the UK and driving back in the purchased car what is the story with insurance?

Just phone up your ins co and they will give you cover over the phone before you drive it away.

Tip - If SAT NAV to Hollyhead look for Wales as the country - then Hollyhead.
    Obvious, but not so obvious to everyone I asked then. Not even the Ferry co knew

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

worded wrote: »
    Tip - If SAT NAV to Hollyhead look for Wales as the country - then Hollyhead.
    Obvious, but not so obvious to everyone I asked then. Not even the Ferry co knew
    Another hint .. it's spelt Holyhead (one 'L'). The ferry company didn't know that Holyhead was in Wales? Pull the other one :)

Alun wrote: »
    Another hint .. it's spelt Holyhead (one 'L'). The ferry company didn't know that Holyhead was in Wales? Pull the other one :)

Ops ...

The Ferry co didnt know why I couldnt find it on my sat nav. I was spelling it right at the time. One L. I tried towns in wales as well. Ferry co didn’t know the co ordinates either.

I asked the sellers a dealership in Manchester and they called their business friends and no one twigged it for 45 mins approx. Even a rep who worked the country in UK didnt know FFS.

Easy enough mistake but cost me as I had to speed to catch the ferry.
    Made it, but just.

For country - its Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I bought my car in Leeds, i left the petrol station just after buying the car, onto the motorway and it went all the way to Holyhead, practically brings you straight onto the ferry, no need for a sat nav. Use a map or AA route plan;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Save yourself the Ferry charges & import it from the North . . . .

I nearly did on a used car, but I couldnt be arsed to pay the VRT + tax + all the the hassle of selling my car down here first (they wont do a trade-in because the Southern Spec is so low compared to theirs).

Obviously if you are imorting a New car into the Republic its well worth the effort, specially if you can avoid the shipping charges from Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

ArthurF wrote: »
    Save yourself the Ferry charges & import it from the North . . . .

I nearly did on a used car, but I couldnt be arsed to pay the VRT + tax + all the the hassle of selling my car down here first (they wont do a trade-in because the Southern Spec is so low compared to theirs).

Obviously if you are imorting a New car into the Republic its well worth the effort, specially if you can avoid the shipping charges from Britain.

well worth it yes,but the car will cost you less if bought across the water thats including flight over and boat.

as for insurance if you could get the reg no of the car you are buying before you leave you can then ring your insurer and tell them when you need cover on the car you are buying!

good luck.:D

Buy that James Bond car in the UK and drive/sub it over!

One owner, mind did he do a bit of "damage" in that car to yer one?

Its as easy to insure it on the day when/if you buy if getting in the UK. (if you decide against it on the day you havnt wasted funds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

vox wrote: »
    Just phone up your ins co and they will give you cover over the phone before you drive it away.

Yup, Just insure it on the UK reg. You can arrange it in advance if you have the UK plate details. Call your company for Insurance cover to commence from 12.00 midnight on X date. This means you can have paperwork with you if needed (unlikely though).

Once you re-register here you can then update them with the Irish plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

markos79 wrote: »
    well worth it yes,but the car will cost you less if bought across the water thats including flight over and boat.
    That was true for a long time, but prices here have plummeted recently.

• Advertisement

no matter what anyone says or if the prices have took a dive people selling cars up north know they can get more for their cars than in the likes of england because of the hassle of going across the water.

if it was me id travel to england cheaper and a better selection too.

no matter what anyone says or if the prices have took a dive people selling cars up north know they can get more for their cars than in the likes of england because of the hassle of going across the water.

if it was me id travel to england cheaper and a better selection too.
    The point i'm making is that both are possibly more expensive than simply buying a used car privately here.

no i disagree with that Anan some people here are lookin for silly money for cars here and also the spec on cars in ireland is probably the worst in europe,english cars have a better standard spec than we do here.

no i disagree with that Anan some people here are lookin for silly money for cars here and also the spec on cars in ireland is probably the worst in europe,english cars have a better standard spec than we do here.
    Some people are looking for silly money for cars in every country. By the same token, there are well and less-well specified cars for sale in every country. Used car values here have taken a real beating, to the point where the value of a well-specified and well-minded used car here will often be less than the value of the same car in the UK + VRT.

+ 1

- Go to England and pick up a better deal.

>idea - Search ebay, people advertise there. I did a got a beauty, full leather top of the range motor for 3/5ths of it value. Happy days.

Ebay - I didnt pay for it prior to seeing it. Know someone who bought three the same way.

Lads, i've brought in perhaps seven cars from the UK. All cost me substantially less at the time than they would have. But the market has changed here. Shop around, don't just assume that UK cars must be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

+ 1

- Go to England and pick up a better deal.

>idea - Search ebay, people advertise there. I did a got a beauty, full leather top of the range motor for 3/5ths of it value. Happy days.

+1 again

Look for a 2004 525d on carzone.ie with park assist....

Then look for one on a UK site without it...

Spec on Irish cars is way poor compared to UK. Cheaper sterling also makes it well worth a trip.

Given new VRT and tax rates it seems crazy not to import one.

TJJP wrote: »
    +1 again

Look for a 2004 525d on carzone.ie with park assist....
    Wasn't that standard on the SE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yep, don't forget to check how much VRT you will have to pay beforehand. The last thing you want to do is fork out a big lump of money for a car then realise your VRT will be 5000 euro. Could leave things quite stretched money wise.

Advertisement