Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology in Cork

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    it seems reasonable to believe that the sum total of human misery will increase, even significantly, if people actually believe the COS's patent hogwash. Something they're more likely to do if the state appears to offer its tacit support.

I guess the whole issue hangs on how big we reckon that 'if' to be, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    I think it's rather unlikely that the COS ran this event without at least some expectation that some people would believe them.

Heavens, I'd imagine that you yourself must expect that some portion of the unbelievers who turn up at your own religious get-togethers would convert to The Truth (the right one of course, not the COS's clearly bogus one)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Is Scientology classified as a religion here ?
    Or a for profit organisation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

PDN wrote: »

I'm working above where the presentation was taking place and one guy in my office went down to check it out, he came back up telling us that the number of people cured by psychology is miniscule, I think they were saying its in the single digits and that it does more harm than good by pumping patients full of chemicals. He was also convinced by the Scientologists that Nazism is basically an offshoot of psychology.

Just like with any religion, when people are presented with supposed "facts" very well spun by as efficient a machine as Scientology, it isn't at all surprising that people will begin to accept what they are told.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

he came back up telling us that the number of people cured by psychology is miniscule, I think they were saying its in the single digits and that it does more harm than good by pumping patients full of chemicals. He was also convinced by the Scientologists that Nazism is basically an offshoot of psychology.

Just like with any religion, when people are presented with supposed "facts" very well spun by as efficient a machine as Scientology, it isn't at all surprising that people will begin to accept what they are told.
    Give your mate a slap for me -- the COS's beef isn't with psychology, but psychiatry. I mean it's bad enough swallowing a truckload of shite about some topic, but you really have to wonder when the average punter can't even remember what the topic is.

<buries head in hands>

Point made. With knobs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

KTRIC wrote: »
    So do you think its normal to attack someone else's beliefs because they are different to your own ?

I always find it a little amusing and disappointing when people use the word "normal" is this sense. Anyway, yes, I think it perfectly appropriate to challenge each other's beliefs, its a sign of a healthy society.

You're attacking us now. If I said we were bashing Scientology because God told us to does that mean you'd back off?

Advertisement