Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Primera mechanic

• 27-06-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of going in for a Nissan Primera, and found one for a decent price at a dealer. Now, I don't know anything about cars, and was advised by my workmates to ask a mechanic to inspect the car.

I live in D8, and the dealers near lucan, does anyone know of an (inexpensive) mechanic who would help out, and how much would the charges be?

On a related note, would you have any feedback on the Nissan Primera? How do you find its reliability, cost of parts, maintenance, mileage?

Cheers,
    ibook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

what year ???? big differnce betwenn the first model in the 90's and the current french one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What year is the Primera your looking at as there have been 3 generations of them?

The first one (1990 to 1996) was pretty good to drive but the following ones haven't been as good. They are pretty reliable but resale value is very poor (a good thing since your buying though), equipment levels are pretty good though, the 2002 to 2007 model having things like climate control, reversing camera, etc. Haggle hard on the asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

It was a 2002 model, I've just been informed that it was sold. This dealership had it going for just over 5000 Euros, similar 2002 Primera models on carzone.ie are about 8000 Euros.

Any suggestions how much I could haggle the price down to? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ibook wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of going in for a Nissan Primera, and found one for a decent price at a dealer. Now, I don't know anything about cars, and was advised by my workmates to ask a mechanic to inspect the car.

I live in D8, and the dealers near lucan, does anyone know of an (inexpensive) mechanic who would help out, and how much would the charges be?

On a related note, would you have any feedback on the Nissan Primera? How do you find its reliability, cost of parts, maintenance, mileage?

Cheers,
    ibook

ill give you a hand if you want , done a million and one of them... a mechanics favorite car ( the pre 2000 models )

only issue as with all nissans is that you just need regular servicing, engine re-done every 150k and you Away. the 2k onwards have verious electrical issues brought over from the laguna model aswell as a rather s*** drive.... not the best handling car ( compared to earlier models ) also lacks a bit on power but the rebust engine will take any abuse you throw at it !

also: Never buy from carzone.... i personally wouldnt for reasonthat cant be discused on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Presently driving a 01 dsl primera , 190000 miles , no major issues , replaced a front wheel hub bearing, & the top links a couple of times

Great road holding on 205/55 R 16 tyres, a bit sluggish on the pick up , but great torque when you get the revs. up

Serviced every 10K miles

last car was a 98 primera which had +220K miles & going strong when we parted company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

mate i have a 00 if your interested. bought a new car so i need rid of this asap. offers accepted!!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=58006&cat=all

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just a note, the early models of the P12(01-03)(newest model) are prone to steering racks leaking, and will need replaceing, they cost about 1,200 plus vat for the part alone,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

One thing you should know is that Nissan did a big re-call of cars in 2003 to fix a faulty engine sensor. That sounds harmless enough until you hear that the fault would cause the car to stall and not restart.

I think this affects cars manufactured up until 2001, including some Almera's, Almera Tino's and Primera's.

I have a 2001 Almera that I bought in 2004, about a year after the re-call was announced but I only found out about the re-call earlier this week. I called the local Nissan dealer who would have done the work and gave them the chassis number. They were able to check it on their system and told me the recall work had been done. Checking this only took 2 minutes so it's definitely worth it.

If the car you are thinking of buying has a re-call out for it, try to get the chassis number of the guy selling it and see if you can contact the Nissan dealer to see if the work was done as it may not be mentioned in the maintenance book.

I think this link will help you search for re-call information about cars. It's best to make the search field as wide as possible I think so you can find all re-call information about your particular model.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

I did a bit of searching and I think this is the exact recall info. It wasn't coming up on my original searches.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=FA132FEE8943A71180256BB900268CCD&freeText=Blank

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

One thing you should know is that Nissan did a big re-call of cars in 2003 to fix a faulty engine sensor. That sounds harmless enough until you hear that the fault would cause the car to stall and not restart.
    Thats prob the cam or crank sensors. they go on an afawl lot on the n16e almeras, and also a good few of the primeras. air flow meters are also very comman on almeras... theres a list of comman problems with early new model nissans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

just got back after a rather hectic week...

@grandmaster - thank you for the research on the recall work, I had no idea this had happened.

@Lenny - thanks for the info about the steering rack issue

@S.I.R - will pm you, carzone's all I've been looking at to date.

@walshy123, cheers for letting me know, good luck with the sale.

After reading all your feedback, I'm now considering going in for a different car, maybe a "proper" jap car. Would a more recent (2004-2006) version of this car be more reliable and solve the issues you mentioned?

Have to say my initial interest was based on the Nissan brand, styling and decent price. Also the reliability of earlier primeras like in snowman707's case...

Just curious though, is there any satisfied 2002-2003 primera owner out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 johner07

just got back after a rather hectic week...

@grandmaster - thank you for the research on the recall work, I had no idea this had happened.

@Lenny - thanks for the info about the steering rack issue

@S.I.R - will pm you, carzone's all I've been looking at to date.

@walshy123, cheers for letting me know, good luck with the sale.

After reading all your feedback, I'm now considering going in for a different car, maybe a "proper" jap car. Would a more recent (2004-2006) version of this car be more reliable and solve the issues you mentioned?

Have to say my initial interest was based on the Nissan brand, styling and decent price. Also the reliability of earlier primeras like in snowman707's case...

Just curious though, is there any satisfied 2002-2003 primera owner out there?
    hi i just after buying a nissan primera two months ago it a 2.2 dsl h/b acenta and its the best car i ever got i will stay with nissan and its a great car if your on the road alot i also know a man in newlands cross dat dos work for me on my van and car if i need hin to or if i cant do it myself,he even dos work for my sisters and is even cheap if you pm me i can give you hes fone number also there a nissan primera club you can join they help to sort you out with your car if theres anything up with it :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

It was a 2002 model, I've just been informed that it was sold. This dealership had it going for just over 5000 Euros, similar 2002 Primera models on carzone.ie are about 8000 Euros.

Any suggestions how much I could haggle the price down to? Cheers.

That car is well overpriced , you will find alot cheaper than that eg

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200947195912268

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

golfdiva wrote: »
    That car is well overpriced , you will find alot cheaper than that eg

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200947195912268

big changes in 16 months, ZOMBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

tell me about it...never buy a nissan as it's resale value is crap.
    I paid €28,500 for my 2005 primera new, 17 months later it was worth €16,000 thanks to nissan's 2 for 1 offer which killed the market :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chelsea Cat

Hi can anyone help me solve a problem here. My dad has a primera 1.8 petrol automatic 2003 model. The car wont always start ,sometimes it turns over and wont start other times it wont even turn over and sometimes it does start. Fault codes P1610 P1614 P1615 I know these are the Nats immobiliser fault codes but cant find a fix on line. Any help would be appreciated, its got me stuck this one and due to ill health they need there car. Sorry if Ive posted this in the wrong section.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement