Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for Lighting Visualisation Software

Options
  • 27-06-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in Theatre & Performing arts forum but I don't know if anybody there could help me. There's a few lighting guys around these parts so here goes. I'm looking for an application to run on OS X Leopard or Vista (preferably OS X) that I can use to design a lighting plot for a theatre production. I need to be able to design a rig an visualise the cues in 3D and maybe even print out a plot sheet and dmx address info too. But more so the 3D cue visualisation. I've heard of WYSIWYG software but it's way too advanced and expensive for what I need. Is there any software out there that you've found that's a bit more basic and simpler to use. I don't need to be able to run a show from the application just programme it and view it in 3D. Don't need it to control lighting desks or anything complicated like that. I would like the ability to include moving heads and led par cans as well as my generics and specials. Hope something like this exists. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

See the list on the right. I dont have any experience of any of these, its just a list I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

That's a handy website. Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I was going to post this in Theatre & Performing arts forum but I don't know if anybody there could help me. There's a few lighting guys around these parts so here goes. I'm looking for an application to run on OS X Leopard or Vista (preferably OS X) that I can use to design a lighting plot for a theatre production. I need to be able to design a rig an visualise the cues in 3D and maybe even print out a plot sheet and dmx address info too. But more so the 3D cue visualisation. I've heard of WYSIWYG software but it's way too advanced and expensive for what I need. Is there any software out there that you've found that's a bit more basic and simpler to use. I don't need to be able to run a show from the application just programme it and view it in 3D. Don't need it to control lighting desks or anything complicated like that. I would like the ability to include moving heads and led par cans as well as my generics and specials. Hope something like this exists. Thanks.

TBH WYSIWYG is really the be all and end all here. It does exactly what you need and more, but well aware of the price issue. I use 12 a good bit - I think the current version is 22 or thereabouts. It really is the dogs proverbials, simple enough rig outs in a black box style setting, say this

DramsocA3.JPG

Can be CAD'ed out from scratch in under an hour. I have zero experience with 3D design or CAD programs and found it incredibly intuitive.

DramsocA2.JPG

There's another called Vectorworks, which is free for student use if you live in the US (or become a virtual migrant :D ) which might be worth a look. Youtube around, there's tons of video demos up.

(Also, if you do intend controlling stuff, Hog2PC ain't the worst option - cheap too. Alternatively, ladaya (adafruit.net IIRC) of DIY kit fame has a USB-DMX dongle kit for pocket money.)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I installed the demo of wysiwyg. It's amazing but I can't save. I'll make up my mind eventually which software I'll buy.

QuadLeo wrote: »
    Sweet. Thanks for the info. I installed the demo of wysiwyg. It's amazing but I can't save. I'll make up my mind eventually which software I'll buy.

Tbh, if you're using any amount of moving heads (mac 250s or what have you), even just for pre-vis, WYSIWYG is really the only acceptable solution. Trying to do it in other programs gets very messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

jimi_t wrote: »
    TBH WYSIWYG is really the be all and end all here. It does exactly what you need and more, but well aware of the price issue. I use 12 a good bit - I think the current version is 22 or thereabouts. It really is the dogs proverbials, simple enough rig outs in a black box style setting, say this

DramsocA3.JPG

Can be CAD'ed out from scratch in under an hour. I have zero experience with 3D design or CAD programs and found it incredibly intuitive.

DramsocA2.JPG

There's another called Vectorworks, which is free for student use if you live in the US (or become a virtual migrant :D ) which might be worth a look. Youtube around, there's tons of video demos up.

(Also, if you do intend controlling stuff, Hog2PC ain't the worst option - cheap too. Alternatively, ladaya (adafruit.net IIRC) of DIY kit fame has a USB-DMX dongle kit for pocket money.)

How cool is that?

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    How cool is that?

Not very, thats 'quick render' setting using OpenGL and low detail. It can get much fancier and more adaptable than basic theatre settings. The screenshots with the installer are mind blowing (think Olympics etc...)

Here's a quick google of your average small venue/band setup.

wysiwyg2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It's all new to me! Very impressive

Advertisement