Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby hedegehogs

Options
  • 27-06-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

these are a couple of latest litter of hedgies,these pic where taken a few weeks ago

P1010718.jpg

P1010723.jpg

P1010737.jpg

P1010729.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Awwwwww!!!
    are you breeding them or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phil exotic

KatCookie wrote: »
    Awwwwww!!!
    are you breeding them or something?

i have bred them a couple of times:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Aww loooook! This little piggy went "squeak, squeak, squeak!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

How do you deal with the fleas that all hedgehogs carry?

Also, do you keep them as pets, or release them eventually?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    How do you deal with the fleas that all hedgehogs carry?

Also, do you keep them as pets, or release them eventually?

these are african pygmy hedegehogs,they are bred specifically for the pet trade,keeping european hedegehogs(our native hedegehogs) is illegal unless you are licenced,and the licence only covers you if you are caring for injured or unhealthy hogs,when they are fit and heathly again they must be released.

Wild hedegehogs like any wild animal,do carry fleas,but as these are domestic pets and do not come in contact with fleas,they do not carry them.Maybe if they came in contact with a pet dog or cat they may get fleas from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

They are just gorgeous!
    Do you have a lot of them living with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

do they make good pets? fun to have? lazy?
    how similar are they to the European ones?

sorry for the 20 Q .. but you did post them here...

star-pants wrote: »
    They are just gorgeous!
    Do you have a lot of them living with you?

i have 4 adults and 2 little ones

KatCookie wrote: »
    do they make good pets? fun to have? lazy?
    how similar are they to the European ones?

sorry for the 20 Q .. but you did post them here...

they certainly do make good pets and they are a lot of fun,they have lots of personality.

i supose the both have spikes! but i dont have any experiance with european hedegehogs so hard Q to answer:o

there is a hedegehog section on this forum with lots of info and breeders and keepers of hedegehogs

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Exotic_Enthusiasts/index.php?act=idx

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

These are so cute as pets, I have Ruby the second one so named after her ruby eyes and I have a few more pics of her at www.freewebs.com/enchantinghogs
    And they are so tiny too and light when I got Ruby she was the size of my hand and weigh about 160 grm or so tiny tiny

She is a lovely hedgie thanks Phil:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I have seen Phils hogs, they are lovely and really easy to handle. I almost bought 2 :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

AW I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Is it true they like "tubing"?

(For those who haven't heard of it, tubing is when a hedgehog sticks its head in a toilet-roll tube and kind of thrashes around. Apparently they love it)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

depends on the hedgehog re tubing but the toilet roll should always be split down the size so they dont panic if they think theur head is stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 googolplex

they are so cute!!

thecivvie wrote: »
    I have seen Phils hogs, they are lovely and really easy to handle. I almost bought 2 :)

hio sean,hows it going:D

hows the grandchild doing,dont see ya about on the forums anymore

cobweb wrote: »
    These are so cute as pets, I have Ruby the second one so named after her ruby eyes and I have a few more pics of her at www.freewebs.com/enchantinghogs
    And they are so tiny too and light when I got Ruby she was the size of my hand and weigh about 160 grm or so tiny tiny

She is a lovely hedgie thanks Phil:)

Cobwebs site is a great hog site,lots of info,highly recomended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭thecivvie

hio sean,hows it going:D

hows the grandchild doing,dont see ya about on the forums anymore

V busy at the mo and waiting on a decision about my knee, been put off again :(

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Its years since I saw a hedgehog in the wild...Those cuties brought back memories of a little guy we tried to save when I was young. His mother had been killed during the silage making and we reared him for about two weeks on milk but he didn't survive.

AAAh he was gorgeous.....

They so pink and cute mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

they certainly do make good pets and they are a lot of fun,they have lots of personality.

i supose the both have spikes! but i dont have any experiance with european hedegehogs so hard Q to answer:o

there is a hedegehog section on this forum with lots of info and breeders and keepers of hedegehogs

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Exotic_Enthusiasts/index.php?act=idx

Phil, and do they always stay in their cage or you let them out to run around on the floor a bit? These pictures have just made my day, btw, they are so cute.... Had a hedgehog (a proper European one) as pet when I was a child, it was quite big, and came regularly to the door to be fed. I was devastated when it died. Had another one later, it was living with us in an apartment, but it was so noisy we had to let it go...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 queen of hearts

Phil do you do find they need alot of space??

And is the starting off equpment expensive??

I had a friend who got one, she live in america and had it for a couple of years, she said its quite like having a hamster only its spikey and adorable. Other wise as far as interaction goes they're simalar. Is this right?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Will you please stop trying to tempt me with cute pics like that.

I dont want a hedgehog, I dont want a hedgehog.......... Nope not convinced.
    I dont want a hedgehog, I dont want a hedgehog.

Advertisement