Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Brake Question

Options
  • 27-06-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

This may sound like a stupid question. I recently bought a new mountain bike and am going to start riding for the first time in 8 or 9 years. I've never owned a bike with disc brakes before and they are rubbing on both the front and back. What I would like to know is what's the best way of adjusting them to stop this? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

depends if they are post mount, IS mount, or IS mount with some form of CPS (which is Avids system) ... sounds complicated right!

If it is Post Mount or CPS ususally you just untighten the caliper bolts and pull the brake, then retighten them grandually, a turn at a time for each bolt.

If it is IS mount you need to shim the caliper with spacers, but it is pretty hopless if your disc mount is not faced properly.

Is the rotor straight? Do you understand any of this jargon, might best off to have a read of the park tool webpage, here's their item on Shimano brakes:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=126

They've also got pages on other types which should cover all senarios for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tony cochrane

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at it when I get home. I might be able to make some sense of it.

Advertisement