Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E74 error on modded Xbox 360, what should i do?

Options
  • 27-06-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi, was playing 360 normally all morning. Started downloading demo and turned the system off, turned it back on after about an hour to check the progress and 1 Red Light (lower right one) was flashing and i was told i had an E74 error.

Ive checked my AV cables and i think they are fine so its likley a problem with the board.

I cant send it back to MS because its out of warranty and its modded. So what should i do? Do i have any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Hi, was playing 360 normally all morning. Started downloading demo and turned the system off, turned it back on after about an hour to check the progress and 1 Red Light (lower right one) was flashing and i was told i had an E74 error.

Ive checked my AV cables and i think they are fine so its likley a problem with the board.

I cant send it back to MS because its out of warranty and its modded. So what should i do? Do i have any other options?

Was it modified a good while ago?
    I fixed one that was like that, halo 3 update caused it. I flashed the 360 again using newer firmware, then i had to finish the update using halo , it wouldn't update with anything else! Sorry if this all bunched up , posting from my phone

Edit , the only reason halo was the only thing that would update it is because it was that trying to update that caused it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It was modified February 2007 iirc. Does that make much difference?

How did you fix it and how much?

Its possible that could be what it is so. The one i fixed was modified before that but it could be the same thing. The E74 error is usually this.

Who modified for you? If it was you or somebody you know i could give you instructions on how to do it?

I could try do it for you either, It would be around €25? Only problem is that closest im ever to Bray is Athlone, and thats not close! And they are pricey to post! If you could make it to maynooth i know a few people up there that would be passing through. Obviously if i cant fix i wouldn't charge you anything.

Its possible that could be what it is so. The one i fixed was modified before that but it could be the same thing. The E74 error is usually this.

Who modified for you? If it was you or somebody you know i could give you instructions on how to do it?

I could try do it for you either, It would be around €25? Only problem is that closest im ever to Bray is Athlone, and thats not close! And they are pricey to post! If you could make it to maynooth i know a few people up there that would be passing through. Obviously if i cant fix i wouldn't charge you anything.

It was modded by Cubix on here.

What does the procedure involve?

Basically you just re flash it. You cant use i prep though , you have to read the firmware, then take the eprom out of it and hex edit it into the latest version of custom firmware. Then you flash the drive with this new custom firmware. Hopefully it will then get past the e74 message and it will finish updating from the hard drive.

Has it been a while since you used it? Did you play halo or any newer games on it?

• Advertisement

It certainly hasnt been a long time since i used it. Clocking up big hours on COD4 everyday for the last few weeks and have been going pretty much constantly for a year or two.

I did have a few goes on Halo this week though.

So you reckon i need to get it re-flashed?

if you search the net for the e74 error all you'll get is the halo update problems. But seeing as you had already updated since then i'm not sure what it is

Updating the firmware on the drive is definitly something you should try though.

Sorry i was wrong, the problem i was refering to was the e64 error not e74. That'll teach me to post on boards when i'm at a wedding :p. It seems that xclamp method might fix it .

Ok well, my mate told me about Consolerepairsireland.ie, i had a look at the website and the address is...

CONSOLE REPAIRS IRELAND
    22 WOLFTONE SQUARE MIDDLE
    BRAY
    CO WICKLOW

Which is funny because i can see it from my house! I called them and they said they can fix it for €50. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've just got the same error in the past few weeks. I'd send it back but it's my watercooled system so I'm pretty sure MS won't be too pleased with that :pac:

Mikey, did these guys sort it for you?

• Advertisement

Yeah they did, €55 and it was perfect for about a month.

Then i got E74 again

There is a 90 warrentee on all repairs so he is currently re-fixing it. If it happens again then he is giving me a re-fund cuz my console is bolloxed.

Advertisement