Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old flash's high st.

• 27-06-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

just drove past the old flashs on high st. it sayes its now a gentlemans club . whats the story with that ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

amyloneill wrote: »
    just drove past the old flashs on high st. it sayes its now a gentlemans club . whats the story with that ?

Its due to open up tonight, a new lap dancing club by all acounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

how bad!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Can't disagree with the Lonely Planet Guide to Ireland now:

Waterford Town: “Although that seedy port-town feel is still evident in places, the city has received a facelift in recent years.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have a rake of concession cards for here. Whispers concession cards are for free entry and free shot, so I'm assuming they're the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

To be honest I wouldnt have thought whispers were doing enough business to merit a competitor. I never see anyone outside or going into the place only bouncers.

Suppose it will appeal to all the stag/hen nights around the city this weather ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

c - 13 wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldnt have thought whispers were doing enough business to merit a competitor. I never see anyone outside or going into the place only bouncers.

Suppose it will appeal to all the stag/hen nights around the city this weather ...

Most fells are gonna sneak in so they don't get noticed :p I assume Murderer is one of their best customers :p

But ya, I agree.. pass by most nights and only see bouncers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Even at that I used to work with a lad who did the door for the place and said it was empty most week nights and never really busy after the initial buzz died down.

The new one may do a little better business because its a little closer to the main strip (ho ho) maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Actually, both clubs give concession cards to all the hotel bars in town to try and get some business from travellers (the business kind, not the "howya Micky" kind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford Town: “Although that seedy port-town feel is still evident in places, the city has received a facelift in recent years.."

A seaport town should have a seedy feel, lets face it things havn't been the same since Scotch Quay got redeveloped.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Can't disagree with the Lonely Planet Guide to Ireland now:

That is a bit harsh isn’t it? Lap dancing clubs are common these days, what makes Waterford any seedier than anywhere else that has one. And as for that Lonely Plant rag, I would question if the “reviewer” was ever even in Waterford...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More than one has got caught out travelling the world from thier front room I think.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That is a bit harsh isn’t it? Lap dancing clubs are common these days, what makes Waterford any seedier than anywhere else that has one. And as for that Lonely Plant rag, I would question if the “reviewer” was ever even in Waterford...

You do realise that not everybody thinks Waterford is the nicest place in Ireland, or even on the planet.. right? It has been a few years (I think) since the last review of Waterford so they probably were accurate enough..

Iv met the reviewers in the past. Iv spoken with those who have done the Tramore ones.

They are strict and normally do honest straight up reviews.

Sully wrote: »
    You do realise that not everybody thinks Waterford is the nicest place in Ireland, or even on the planet.. right? It has been a few years (I think) since the last review of Waterford so they probably were accurate enough..

Iv met the reviewers in the past. Iv spoken with those who have done the Tramore ones.

I don’t expect everybody to think Waterford is the nicest place in Ireland. It is fact that they don’t always do the reviews they say they do.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=lonely+planet+reviewer+admits&spell=1

If they are so accurate and strict why do they keep calling Waterford a town in edition after edition? I think it is fair to say it would take more than just meeting a reviewer to be able to say with certainty what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One of their former reporters brought out a book about working for them recently I think, said he didnt go to most of the places he wrote about

I don’t expect everybody to think Waterford is the nicest place in Ireland. It is fact that they don’t always do the reviews they say they do.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=lonely+planet+reviewer+admits&spell=1

If they are so accurate and strict why do they keep calling Waterford a town in edition after edition? I think it is fair to say it would take more than just meeting a reviewer to be able to say with certainty what you said.

Thats one reporter who claims it was taken out of context. Iv met these reviewers in the past. The town thing, is probably an american thing. I assume they refer to KK as a city and other citys and just ignore Waterford? Its only minor anyway, people usually google where there planning on staying (eg "accommodation ireland, accommodation waterford, waterford ireland" etc) so someone will set them straight about it being a city.

Thats one reporter who claims it was taken out of context. Iv met these reviewers in the past. The town thing, is probably an american thing. I assume they refer to KK as a city and other citys and just ignore Waterford? Its only minor anyway, people usually google where there planning on staying (eg "accommodation ireland, accommodation waterford, waterford ireland" etc) so someone will set them straight about it being a city.

Sully you are beginning to sound like Bart Simpson in that episode where he buys a book about conspiracy theories. After reading a conspiracy out to Millhouse, Bart says “this was in a book so it must be true”....

Sully you are beginning to sound like Bart Simpson in that episode where he buys a book about conspiracy theories. After reading a conspiracy out to Millhouse, Bart says “this was in a book so it must be true”....

I think that applies to you more then me :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah for feck sake lets noty start this town v city debate crap again, a written book is generally speaking more likely to be correct then something on some random website....lets not forget anybody can edit wikipedia and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Breaking News: In light of all the fighting over Waterford being a town or a city.. Waterford City Council have taken a new and fresh approach to the problem...

Prince_symbol.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Lets face it...anyone who buys a lonely planet guide is most likely going to be a student wanker type anyway so their opinions are irrelevant.

But.....waterford is a bit of a ****hole in reality...especially in retail terms... proud as I am to be a Waterford man, it has to be said the town feels like its slipping backwards. We want to improve the city for our own sake though not to kiss up to manky lonely planet reviewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

For the record the name of this new place is "Secrets". I was handed their card saturday night before going into Masons. :p

So now we have a Whispers and Secrets.

Coincidental ehhh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

But.....waterford is a bit of a ****hole in reality...especially in retail terms... proud as I am to be a Waterford man, it has to be said the town feels like its slipping backwards. We want to improve the city for our own sake though not to kiss up to manky lonely planet reviewers.
    how is waterford a **** hole? it might be lacking a few shops like marks & spencers but to call it a ****hole is rubbish.

cork and dublin will always have a better retail offering as they are so much bigger, but we've got a lot on offer here in waterford, the best in the south east. we have plently of small independent shops and bigger chain stores too.

you need to start thinking positive. calling your own city a ****hole, you should be ashamed of yourself. things would never improve here if everyone had such a negative attitude as yours. things are not slipping backwards. there is a load of development and other things in the pipeline that are really going to improve our city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Get off your horse, I've my opinion and I stick by it. I'm born and bred in this city and I f//king love it but its complacent attitudes like yours that hold us back, "Ah sure we're the best in the south east"....do you think they likes of Kilkenny and Carlow are just going to sit there while we ponder on how great it is to be from Waterford. We should be raging against whats happening in this town instead of just thinking we're alright.

Take a look down O'Connell street and gladstone street and see how deserted it is, take a look at the empty shops on the key. All the shops in town that are shabby and in need or repair and painting. What about pubs like Egans, the bank, the old stand empty for a couple of years or more. What about the empty city centre sites like the corner of exchange street and high street or the old post office sorting office.

What about the disgrace of the decrepit flower mills and the north quays project which goes on and on without turning a sod, what about the delays on the Krm project dues to busybodies and attention seekers, we should run them out of town.

Look at equivalent sized cities in countries like Germany and Denmark and how well they're organized and maintained. This city of ours has huge potential but it needs to be harnessed before the celtic tiger finally turns up its toes, I don't want to see this place turn into what it was when I was a child in the 80's. ****hole might have been a strong word to use but this place isn't what it could and should be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So, anyone cop an eyeful yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Get off your horse, I've my opinion and I stick by it. I'm born and bred in this city and I f//king love it but its complacent attitudes like yours that hold us back, "Ah sure we're the best in the south east"....do you think they likes of Kilkenny and Carlow are just going to sit there while we ponder on how great it is to be from Waterford. We should be raging against whats happening in this town instead of just thinking we're alright.

Take a look down O'Connell street and gladstone street and see how deserted it is, take a look at the empty shops on the key. All the shops in town that are shabby and in need or repair and painting. What about pubs like Egans, the bank, the old stand empty for a couple of years or more. What about the empty city centre sites like the corner of exchange street and high street or the old post office sorting office.

What about the disgrace of the decrepit flower mills and the north quays project which goes on and on without turning a sod, what about the delays on the Krm project dues to busybodies and attention seekers, we should run them out of town.

Look at equivalent sized cities in countries like Germany and Denmark and how well they're organized and maintained. This city of ours has huge potential but it needs to be harnessed before the celtic tiger finally turns up its toes, I don't want to see this place turn into what it was when I was a child in the 80's. ****hole might have been a strong word to use but this place isn't what it could and should be!

One thing: do you think that posters on the other boards are hammering their cities as much as yourself and others hammer Waterford? I haven't looked but I'd say that there are far more negative threads on this forum about Waterford than there are about any of the other cities.

Are those other cities any better? Hardly.

I agree that people shouldn't bury their heads in the sand, and that there are problems, but jesus, if I'd never been to Waterford and I read that post I'd think it was the arsehole of the world.

Also, you might have another look at some of the streets you mentioned, the Quay in particular has improved immensely over the past year or so.

yeah we all know about the problem with a lot of closed shops but we're only shooting ourselves in the foot by talking waterford down and saying it's falling behind kilkenny and wexford.

i think despite a lot of empty units and run down streets there is a lot of great stuff we have here now that's just taken for granted. there's some great shops, pubs, clubs and restaurants here.

not to say we should ignore any problems, but we should always try be as positive about the city as we can. positive mental attitude and all that.

i think there are plans for the car parks on the quay to be replaced by green areas in the next few years. newgate centre will hopefully begin construction in august/september. waterford is improving, albeit slowly.

To be fair, I tend to agree with BlaasForRafa. There isnt much point covering it up and boasting about a city that really isnt as good as it could be. I love Waterford, but it certinally isnt at the standard it should be. We have some great shops, but we should have more and could have more. There is so much that could be done, but so little is. Yes its a bit exgerated, but he still has a point. We burry our heads in the sand and refuse to take anything negative. For **** sake, I mentioned one thing about why Hurley from Lost would come to Waterford and some people were appaled that I could even suggest such a thing. There are plenty of reasons why Hurley might not visit Waterford, nevermind Ireland, with his bank account over flowing in cash.

Waterford is the capital of the south east, but other citys across the South East and in Ireland in general are the bigger and better ones. We winge about small things like being refered to as a town yet we ignore the real problems which might actually get us properly recognised.

Folks, this is one of the busiest regional forums on Boards. You cant compare it against the smaller ones.

waterford people aren't "covering up" or ignoring problems and boasting. of course waterford could and should be better.
    We burry our heads in the sand and refuse to take anything negative.
    fair constructive criticism is fine, but calling the city a ****hole doesn't achieve anything.
    There is so much that could be done, but so little is.
    not sure what you mean could be done that isn't?
    but other citys across the South East
    what other cities in the south east? waterford is the only city in the south east!

I happened to be talking to someone from Galway City lately. The subject turned to retail. Guess what she said about Galway City centre. All the shops are moving to the outskirts there is not much in the city centre anymore. More shops are needed. I don’t know exactly what to read from that. But it is interesting that a city a lot of Waterford people aspire to, the people of that city are complaining of the exact same things as we are.

I don’t think it is fair to be so harsh on Waterford though. With McCan’t, WCTU and other objectors Waterford basically has another layer planning bureaucracy that other parts of the country don’t have to face. There are defiantly the signs of change for the better in the city of late. When the Newgate Centre gets the go-ahead there will be a very noticeable change in a short space of time.

I have to say as a Waterford person myself that the knocking of our own city has to be Waterford people’s most unsavoury characteristic. At the end of the day Waterford’s population is growing and has been for decades, ****holes population don’t grow they decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

anyhooo..... back on topic, has anyone been into this newly improved establishment yet??

Advertisement