Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, How can they have got it so wrong for me.

Options
  • 27-06-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

And so my dream of bb was short lived. Just had a guy from eircom here to fix my phonline and i asked about why my status had changed from line unsuitable to maybe suitable

and he said the readings were wrong and that eircom were wrong and shouldn't have taken my order and there was never a chance and that they could send all the modems they wanted it wasn't gona work.

I'm on a carrier and when they go to enable it next week at the exchange they will see this and won't be able to give me anything.

How can they have got it so wrong? i asked and asked if there was gona be any issues and was told no and that every thing was fine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As far as I know, if you ask for your line to be removed from the pair-gain, they have to do it. There was an article on ENN or Silicon Republic some time ago about this. If they don't do it, complain to Comreg maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

Apparently, folks on a carrier will be very unlikely to get broadband because their line can't support it..
    Unless Eircom decide to dig it up and replace it with cables that can support it, then they'll never get it. And as I am to understand, if they take the carrier line out, then everybody "leeching" off it will have their phone and broadband knocked out for the duration of it.

Have you looked into getting ntl broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't give up hope yet.

Funny you should say that. I'm still kinda upbeat and that when i get my equipmentfrom eircom it may well work. Is this foolish? could there be any hope, surley the people at 1800 503 303 would have these stats before saying yes to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

No, DSL will never work on a carrier.

However, I managed to get them to give me a real line a few years back (had a carrier). Bug them enough (nicely :)) and they'll probably eventually do it for you as well. (Unless you're living in the middle of nowhere in a one-off house where there's no more copper around.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »

;) In time bob, trust me, in time

"IT HAS NEVER DONE REAL HEAVEY WORK AND HAS ALWAYS CUT WITH A SHARP CHAIN.THE SAW HAS GREAT COMPRESSION AND GREAT POWER"

Anyone see that new specsavers ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Have you considered mobile broadband before I moved to eircom I was on Vodafone 3G and I got decent speeds. Maybeyou can check if O2 or Vodafone have coverage in your area on o2 http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Business+Solutions/O2+Broadband/Coverage+&+speeds also they may have edge in your area.
    vodafone: http://www.vodafone.ie/coverage/ Don't bother with 3 they are ****e :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anyone see that new specsavers ad?

Its on Youtube

conjamuk wrote: »
    Have you considered mobile broadband before I moved to eircom I was on Vodafone 3G and I got decent speeds. Maybe check can check if O2 or Vodafone have coverage in your area on o2 http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Business+Solutions/O2+Broadband/Coverage+&+speeds also they may have edge in your area.
    vodafone: http://www.vodafone.ie/coverage/ Don't bother with 3 they are ****e :rolleyes:

Been there done that, i have 3 E220s from 3, o2 and curent one is voda. Had satellite, dial-up and countless site surveys for fixed wireless.
    I could be driving an e220 for the price they were when they first came out with the money i've spent over the years and the great part is i only live 2mls from an exchange that was upgraded years ago and 6 houses on my lane can get it and 5 can't all in the space of half a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think this would be a good time to get chummy with the local Eircom engineer :pac:. If you got talking to one and be very friendly he might try help you, you may aswell be banging your head against a brick wall if you try get them to remove it over the phone and generally the local lads are much more accommodating.

I just can't understand this. All the numbers that failed prior to me hounding(in a nice way) eircom last week still fail and the numbers that passed are still passing so all in all nothing has changed except for me.

Is it coincidence that my line status changed and eircom excepted my order over the phone and said yes..! you can get a 1MB package at least. The girl said that the line checker on there site was more accurate than you would think and that if i got a maybe there and she was getting an amber light i was good to go.

Maybe work had been done and the engineer i spoke with today got it wrong? (an engineer who wasn't having any of me talking about work outside of hrs shall we say)
    Maybe i should just stop posting and wrecking peoples heads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think you should have asked that eircom engineer to help you out. I can't see much of a choice for you. Of course kicking up a stink about it to eircom with letters should help, of course sending a copy to ComReg while you're at it.

Also, if you send an email in to some radio show or other (I know Pat Kenny and possibly Matt Cooper did this) asking to put you through with someone in eircom who could help with your ongoing issues, you could get suprising results. The radio stations have covered this before, where they asked for lots of reports of problems with eircom and then after the show, passed on the info to eircom. They then followed up on the unhappy customers.

I think you should have asked that eircom engineer to help you out. I can't see much of a choice for you. Of course kicking up a stink about it to eircom with letters should help, of course sending a copy to ComReg while you're at it.

Also, if you send an email in to some radio show or other (I know Pat Kenny and possibly Matt Cooper did this) asking to put you through with someone in eircom who could help with your ongoing issues, you could get suprising results. The radio stations have covered this before, where they asked for lots of reports of problems with eircom and then after the show, passed on the info to eircom. They then followed up on the unhappy customers.

Hey Guy..
    You know, what you have just said has struck a chord with me.
    Tomorrow im gona start composing a letter just long enough to hold intrest for the readers detailing the last 10yrs or so my battel to get broadband.
    Letters will indeed be sent to the people just named and to a good few more besides. I know just what i want and need to say so watch this space i guess. Thanks btw...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hey Guy..
    You know, what you have just said has struck a chord with me.
    Tomorrow im gona start composing a letter just long enough to hold intrest for the readers detailing the last 10yrs or so my battel to get broadband.
    Letters will indeed be sent to the people just named and to a good few more besides. I know just what i want and need to say so watch this space i guess. Thanks btw...

Why dont you copy the letter to the Chief Executive of Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

And so my dream of bb was short lived. Just had a guy from eircom here to fix my phonline and i asked about why my status had changed from line unsuitable to maybe suitable

and he said the readings were wrong and that eircom were wrong and shouldn't have taken my order and there was never a chance and that they could send all the modems they wanted it wasn't gona work.

I'm on a carrier and when they go to enable it next week at the exchange they will see this and won't be able to give me anything.

How can they have got it so wrong? i asked and asked if there was gona be any issues and was told no and that every thing was fine

And...

the facking phone lines are krap.

And....

Eircon have been creaming money off people for sub standard services for too long.

And...

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Send letters to everyone and anyone who will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

If you apply for an ISDN upgrade they will take your line out of the carrier and give it to you and you will be able to get broadband then. It will cost you the price of the upgrade though.

Well, As i said at 12:30 last night when To_be_confirmed said, what has been said to me a few times in the past on boards about putting pen to paper it really did strike a chord and i was up till 5:30 this morning planning and composing letters.

My plan of action is as thus..

I have a core letter that has slight variation depending on one of the three groups of people to whom it's been both emailed and a hard copy been sent via registered post.

One variation of the letter will be sent to various people at Eircom, chief executive included, a copy of this will also be sent to Comreg.

The second variation will be sent to both local and national politicians chief of which will be Mr Ryan T.D and Cowen.

The third and potentially most important will be sent to national broadcasters at Radio 1 & 2, Today FM, Newstalk and all print media.

I must add one more thing to this post. I'm not just gona try and get my 5mins on air in front of a couple hundread thousand people with an eircom rep and demand the impossible. I don't live on the side of a mountain and i didn't "choose" to live in the "sticks". I live well within the allowed distance from a bb enabled exchange and indeed six houses to the left of me pass the eircom on-line BB checker with one neighbour actually having an eircom bb connection.

I should also say that if i got my 5mins or so i have two very viable options for eircom, 1) Please give me my own line for which i have no problem paying the call out and added charges and the second one would be to give me the line from a house thats been empty for the last 6mths as the 90 year old lady that lived there has gone into care and her line passes as does the line of other elderly people that are not using there lines for broadband, of which there are four.

Ok, this plan was drawn up in the early hrs of the morning and looking at it with somewhat fresher eyes it seems to be a good first effort but if people think this is a little too much or if i've left some thing or someone out please advise. Also, email and postal address are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Do you know any of the Eircom techs locally. If so you could ask them if they would swop your number with that 90 year old ladys. Its possible it would not be that difficult to do. Its done kinda off the record so theres no point ringing up or writing a letter asking can your line be swapped with your neighbours, it will just be ignored.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    Do you know any of the Eircom techs locally. If so you could ask them if they would swop your number with that 90 year old ladys. Its possible it would not be that difficult to do. Its done kinda off the record so theres no point ringing up or writing a letter asking can your line be swapped with your neighbours, it will just be ignored.

Hey pbarr
    I did indeed bring up the subject with the eircom tech along with some other options but he wasn't having any of me, "Quote" theres to much going on with bb for me to start messing about with such things, end quote.

He did however say that Eircom had a policy some years ago of giving unused lines to them that would or wanted to use them for bb but this had been stopped.

It's for this very reason that im like a dog with a bone, if there was no way in hell of Eircom been able to do something i'd let it go but as i mentioned in my previous post there are two very real options to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

If i were you i would go through Eircoms formal complaints procedure first. Comreg will probably ask you if you have registered a complaint with Eircom when you get on to them. And send all correspondance via registered mail.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

JPB can you see the round tower in Ballyfin Demense from your house?

JPB can you see the round tower in Ballyfin Demense from your house?

How's it going Paddy
    A few yrs ago you could just about make it out in the distance in the winter months but it's been a while now in either summer or winter since we could see it from where i am. Just been on the roof moving a dish and had a quick check whilst i was there and theres not a sign of it these days even from up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

perhaps its just the foggy miserable weather today, but it can be seen from Mountrath right up to the exit of the ballyfin estate. We should be up on it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm sickened to hear about the virtually unused line. That alone would drive me into some vicious letters or giving the pairgain a bit of mains voltage. Good luck with your campaign!:D

Advertisement