Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of Euro 2008?

• 27-06-2008 4:44pm

Too soon?

I can't see anyone beating Fabregas to it. He has been immense this tournament. Inch perfect passing, taking that penalty. He has been what every centre midfielder should be. On a par with Keano? Better?

If the mods want to add a poll, feel free. I didn't want to do it as I'd get the usual, "HOW COULD YOU LEAVE OUT BLAH, BLAH" And, "You put HIM in? omgzz" etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Easy.
    Ramos.

Schweinsteiger FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Marcos Senna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree with Senna.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Xavi

Jesus, I just didnt see that coming!! :pac:

Xavi has been one of the stars IMO.

but players who set the tournament alight have been Robben, Arshavin, Nihat, Schweinsteiger, Villa, Fabregas etc. Just that bit moreso than you so far!

Xavi has been his usual solid self, hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i know more than a few will probably disagree with me, but for me it's Podolski. I've actually never really been impressed with him before, always though he was an overrated player, but he's after coming off the back of a sh*t domestic season and his contribution to Germany has been immense, despite the fact he's being played out of position. His movement off the ball is immense, he's had a hand in a huge amount of Germany's goals, and part from the occasional good play from Schweinsteiger, for me he's been the one bright spark in an otherwise disappointing German team. It would be too much to say he's single handedly got them to the final, but imo for someone of his abilities his contribution has been as much if not beyond what anyone could have asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Ballack.Fabregas in a better player all round IMO but has'nt played enough to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Arshavin has been good..But Senna after his performance last night gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Fabregas

.............needs more poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

would have to be either Senna, Schwiensteiger or Cesc for me.... think Cesc comes out on top for his moments of brilliance per minute on the field though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Casillas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Schweinsteiger FTW!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

patmac wrote: »
    Casillas anyone?

good shout. He's been outstanding.

patmac wrote: »
    Casillas anyone?

Definitely in contention. However Spain havent faced the kind of onslaught that say Rustu had against croatia. But he;s still been awesome when called upon. He could be the difference on Sunday. Absolutely amazing player he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

don't think anyone has stood head and shoulders above the rest. cesc has been fantastic, but at the same time has only started 1 game, and that was a meaningless one, so unless he starts the final, its ballack for me. he's put in a few captains performances to drag the team through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

My two favs were

Wesley Sneijder and Bastian Schweinsteiger

Where's all the Celtic heads today? I expect a Boruc or two soon enough

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    don't think anyone has stood head and shoulders above the rest. cesc has been fantastic, but at the same time has only started 1 game, and that was a meaningless one, so unless he starts the final, its ballack for me. he's put in a few captains performances to drag the team through

I thought he was poor both against croatia and against turkey tbh. Schweinsteiger has been their galvanising figure for me.

Id absolutely love to see Philip Lahm or Christophe Metzelder or any German defender win it so I could watch Eamonn Dunphy completely lose it. Itd be well worth it. He'd have a nervous breakdown. Itd be the first time a man would have a baby on live television!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Christy Ronaldo!

cristiano_ronaldo_homoerotico.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Several players who have had very impressive tournaments for me would include:

Fabregas
    Deco
    Ballack
    Schweinsteiger
    Senna
    Casillas
    Buffon
    Xavi
    Schneijder

I can't agree with putting Arshavin on that list as he only played 3 games. 2 were very good, and one was a stinker. On those grounds I think it would be ridiculous to even consider him for player of the tournament.

My pick though would have to be Fabregas. Crazy seeing as all his appearances were as sub, but the lad is so bloody gifted he rarely puts a foot wrong.

Another redeeming quality of his is that he plays the game with a smile on his face pretty much all the time, and genuinely looks as if he loves every minute on a soccer pitch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The final will decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sneijder.No doubt imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I used to be a bit of a fan of Per a while back, but he is a horrible defender.

Iniesta has been great for me.

Surely Arshavin couldn't win it? He did only play in two of the games, even though some would have you believe he played the full 90 minutes last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Snjieder, Podolski or Casillas for me.

titan18 wrote: »
    Sneijder.No doubt imo
    2 excellent games and 1 not so great.

Fizman wrote: »
    I can't agree with putting Arshavin on that list as he only played 3 games. 2 were very good, and one was a stinker. On those grounds I think it would be ridiculous to even consider him for player of the tournament.

My pick though would have to be Fabregas. Crazy seeing as all his appearances were as sub, but the lad is so bloody gifted he rarely puts a foot wrong.

Another redeeming quality of his is that he plays the game with a smile on his face pretty much all the time, and genuinely looks as if he loves every minute on a soccer pitch.

Bit of a contradiction there.

You won't put in a guy who had two cracking full games, i.e. 180 mins, but you'll include a guy who played for a couple of half hours that don't add up to that same amount of time?

If one's in then surely the other has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I'll answer this on Sunday. but everytime Fabregas has come on the field he has completely changed Spain and so far that makes him and Sneijder my choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Modric? Nah? K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The final will decide.
    Agreed. Cesc has to start with villa out surely, could see that putting him ahead if he plays well, which im sure he will

You won't put in a guy who had two cracking full games, i.e. 180 mins, but you'll include a guy who played for a couple of half hours that don't add up to that same amount of time?

Fabregas has played about 240 minutes I believe.

True Xavi, it is a bit of a contradiction. My point (which I probably should have made a better fist of) is that, as a "Tournament" as a whole, Fabregas has contributed pretty much very effectively for each of the 5 games he took part in, whereas for Arshavin it was 2.

Yes the number of minutes aren't in Cesc's favour but as someone before me said, if you account for all the fantastic little things he has done in comparison to minutes on the pitch, then he wins hands down for me!

Actually, I just checked the match reports there and Cesc has played roughly 270 minutes, so I wouldn't say that counts against him.

Fabregas has played about 240 minutes I believe.

Fair enough, that's including the extra time v Italy thiugh where he did as much as Arshavin did last night.

So Cesc 240 mins, Arshavin 270 mins.

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    True Xavi, it is a bit of a contradiction. My point (which I probably should have made a better fist of) is that, as a "Tournament" as a whole, Fabregas has contributed pretty much very effectively for each of the 5 games he took part in, whereas for Arshavin it was 2.

Yes the number of minutes aren't in Cesc's favour but as someone before me said, if you account for all the fantastic little things he has done in comparison to minutes on the pitch, then he wins hands down for me!

'Hands down' is a bit much.

Arshavin has done just as much as Cesc, he just did it in a lesser amount of games.

Let's not forget that Arshavin missed the first two group games. He would have had a field day against Greece.

I'm not saing one is better than the other but on a list of the best players in the tournament it'd be either both or neither as they tick pretty much the same boxes.

Fair enough, that's including the extra time v Italy thiugh where he did as much as Arshavin did last night.

So Cesc 240 mins, Arshavin 270 mins.
    Besides control the game, score the winning penalty and generally win the plaudits (he was MOTM on the BBC player rater).

Besides, if you're going to deduct 30 minutes against Italy for apparently being poor, then you'd have to bring Arshavin down to 180 minutes too.
    Let's not forget that Arshavin missed the first two group games. He would have had a field day against Greece.
    So we should factor in what Arshavin might have done had he played more? That doesn't seem very logical to me tbh. Besides, Fabregas might have done more had he started more games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Arda Turan. He has been immense for Turkey.

Besides control the game, score the winning penalty and generally win the plaudits (he was MOTM on the BBC player rater).

Bit like Arshavin against Holland so.
    Besides, if you're going to deduct 30 minutes against Italy for apparently being poor, then you'd have to bring Arshavin down to 180 minutes too.
    So we should factor in what Arshavin might have done had he played more? That doesn't seem very logical to me tbh. Besides, Fabregas might have done more had he started more games.

No the point I'm making is that both players have played bit part roles in the tournament as a whole. Both have done equally well considering how little football they have played.

To pick one and dismiss the other is just silly.

I dunno, Arshavin has had a stinker while Cesc hasn't, at least not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

To pick one and dismiss the other is just silly.

why? Cesc got his team to the final almost single handedly last night. Arshavin went missing and his team crashed out. by default shouldn't that make Cesc's contribution greater than Arshavin's over the course of the Tourney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really think Chiellini deserves a mention here. Came in and played (slightly) out of position after the shambolic first match and did great. Only conceded 1 goal in 270 minutes, the same could be said for Panucci

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Who has impressed me most ?

Villa
    Fabregas
    Xavi
    Puyol
    Castillas
    Schweinsteiger
    Deco
    Bosingwa
    Asharvin
    Zurkov
    Deco
    Grosso

to name but a few...

Tusky wrote: »
    Bosingwa
    Zurkov

Yes these 2 certainly deserve a mention.

Particularily Zirkov, who had a fantastic tournament. Ramos really turned his opening performance of the tournament around to get the better of him last night though.

why? Cesc got his team to the final almost single handedly last night. Arshavin went missing and his team crashed out. by default shouldn't that make Cesc's contribution greater than Arshavin's over the course of the Tourney?

Cesc played a part in getting a good team to the final.

Arshavin played just as much of a part in getting an average team to the semis by beating one of the tournament favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Fabregas was outstanding against Russia and I think overall he has had the best performances (I'm a bit puzzled as to why he's not starting). Asharvin singlehandedly brought Russia to the semi final but he did nothing when they got there. Villa has done very well and so has Schweinsteiger. I think the standard has been so much higher than I've ever witnessed. I'm still going to pick Fabregas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think they should include the qualification stages and give it to David Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

one player that has truly impressed me is right back (slash winger) Sergio Ramos of Spain..

Fabregas should have been starting matches and not on the bench, i would vote for him otherwise

arshavin has been fantastic for russia and showed he is a quality player

Schweinsteiger is another for me that has been great this tournament that i had never taken notice of at all before euro 2008 began

Ronaldo was err.. ronaldo..had portugal got further he could have been considered but overall he's doing better on that beach with that fine missus of his anyway

david villa really impressed me also with a flying start against russia to earmark a great tournament for him

ill stop ranting now, cant decide :( could easily pick a top 11 though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Tusky wrote: »

Villa
    Fabregas
    Xavi
    Puyol
    Castillas
    Schweinsteiger
    Deco
    Bosingwa
    Asharvin
    Zurkov
    Deco

to name but a few...
    Except for Bosingwa (I'd put in Podolski & Ballack instead), that's a pretty good list, Tusky. From that list I reckon whoever is the standout player of the Spanish / German lads come Sunday's game will then win the official player award.

Big Chief wrote: »
    one player that has truly impressed me is right back (slash winger) Sergio Ramos of Spain..

Requirement number 1 of being a defender is having the ability to defend. He doesn't.

Puyol and Capdevilla have been good, Ramos and Marchena are both donkeys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement