Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of Euro 2008?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Big Chief wrote: »
    one player that has truly impressed me is right back (slash winger) Sergio Ramos of Spain..

people selecting him i don't understand. why? from what i've seen of him he's been defensively suspect, selfish and wasteful going forward. Last night was the best i've seen from his so far in the tournament but it still wasn't a fantastic performance and in almost every other game he's been a vulnerability.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tusky wrote: »
    Who has impressed me most ?

Villa
    Fabregas
    Xavi
    Puyol
    Castillas
    Schweinsteiger
    Deco
    Bosingwa
    Asharvin
    Zurkov
    Deco
    Grosso

to name but a few...
    Deco, so good he gets mentioned twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally Posted by leninbenjamin
    why? Cesc got his team to the final almost single handedly last night. Arshavin went missing and his team crashed out. by default shouldn't that make Cesc's contribution greater than Arshavin's over the course of the Tourney?

Errr, what ? Dont get be wrong, Fabregas was great but saying he single handedly got them to the final is crazy.

First goal - Xavi (Iniesta assist)

This was by far the most important goal, the Russians looked defeated from then on. Do the fantastic Spanish defense not deserve credit ? What about Castillas who made some great saves ? Puyol ? Ramos ? Xavi ? Iniesta ? Silva & Guiza who both scored ? Or Senna, who put in another solid performance ?

Tusky wrote: »
    Who has impressed me most ?

Villa
    Fabregas
    Xavi
    Puyol
    Castillas
    Schweinsteiger
    Deco
    Bosingwa
    Asharvin
    Zurkov
    Deco
    Grosso

to name but a few...

Oops, add Sneijder to that list. He was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think Lahm has been excellent....but a defender will never get the award!

emc2 wrote: »
    I think Lahm has been excellent....but a defender will never get the award!

He was very very poor defensively against Turkey. The only reason the Turks got their second goal is because their winger floated past Lahm on the touchline. Admittedly, he did make up for it with that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just read something very interesting in the guardian newspaper. In the first 4 matches, ballack ran 45k. Thats the equivalent of going from 1 goalline to the other every 45 seconds!

Edit, my mistake, it was 4 matches,just wrote it down wrong, imbeiake s anyway

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    just read something very interesting in the guardian newspaper. In the first 3 matches, ballack ran 45k. Thats the equivalent of going from 1 goalline to the other every 45 seconds!

No wonder he was awful against Turkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Can't really say so far to be honest.

For sheer impact, you have to choose Fabregas. Russia looked like they could have had the beating of Spain until Fabregas came on. Fabregas split the Russian defence wide open several times, provided two goals, but it easily could have been more.

Xavi has been very tidy and solid. Fabregas has been Wow! though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fabregas and Senna imo have been the players of the tourneys, but in different ways.

senna has been awesome alright, fantastic job breaking up play, and in particular in covering the holes left by the fullbacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Easy.
    Ramos.

Please tell me that you aren't talking about the one that plays right back for Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Senna, if fabregas played more i would have said him

EDIT: actually zhirkov has been immense. Especially since he was playing out of position.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Requirement number 1 of being a defender is having the ability to defend. He doesn't.

Thank god that someone else finally addressed how absurd a suggestion that it really is.

He is a liability. He is one of 3 liabilities in that Spannish defence tbh.. I am not even convinced about Puyol but this passion and workrate makes up for most of his shortcomings.

why? Cesc got his team to the final almost single handedly last night.

He wasn't even on the pitch for the breakthrough goal ffs..

Fabregas is an amazing player and easily one of the players of the tournament and should defo be in the staring 11 but to suggest he singlehandedly won the match last is pulling the piss..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sergio Ramos is spains best centre back by a country mile, they just play him at right full to accomidate the abysmol Puyol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I think a lot of people here (and the RTE panel in particular) are overrating Fabregas somewhat. I mean he's a good player, but the RTE panel rate him as best midfielder in the world :rolleyes:

Also, people should bear in mind that the group game v Russia was decided when he came on, and v Russia in the Semi Final Xavi got the all important goal before Fabregas scored/set up the others. He did well against Italy though.

I do think he's a good player, but I'd still have Xavi and Iniesta starting ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

and v Russia in the Semi Final Xavi got the all important goal before Fabregas appeared.
    You have that the wrong way around. Cesc came on in the first half. Xavi scored in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

SofaK wrote: »
    You have that the wrong way around. Cesc came on in the first half. Xavi scored in the 2nd half.

Sorry, meant to say Xavi got the important goal before Cesc scored/ set up the other goal. Basically Xavi's goal won the match, and thereafter fabregas caught the eye. The Russians gave up after the 1st goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

My team of the tournament goes as follows:

Casillas

Zhirkov
    Chiellini
    Simunic
    Altintop

Arshavin
    Xavi
    Deco
    Rakitic

Nihat
    Villa

I reckon that Casillas has been the outstanding player of the tournament. I just can't really look past him.

Btw, Much of my team comprises of players that I hadn't been very aware of previous to the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think a lot of people here (and the RTE panel in particular) are overrating Fabregas somewhat. I mean he's a good player, but the RTE panel rate him as best midfielder in the world :rolleyes:

Either himself or Sneijder is the best midfielder in the world.I cant see anyone close to both of them.

I would give the player of the tournament to Fabregas if he had started thr games,even though he's been terrific when hes on the pitch,so I have to say Sneijder or maybe Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Senna - Is this the same player I have watched all tournament, has been very average to be fair, solid player but what has he offered to this team, sits back and gives the impression he is this great defensive midfielder, you could put any player in his role and he would look the same.
    Imagine Keane or Viera in this role, then you would see how to play soccer.

Xavi - Think he is a bit over hyped but has played well enough, I think Iniesta has played very well
    Fabregas- Is worldclass and should of started every game
    Its hard to pick a player, Germany, Turkey and other teams

Senna - Is this the same player I have watched all tournament, has been very average to be fair, solid player but what has he offered to this team, sits back and gives the impression he is this great defensive midfielder, you could put any player in his role and he would look the same.
    Imagine Keane or Viera in this role, then you would see how to play soccer.

Xavi - Think he is a bit over hyped but has played well enough, I think Iniesta has played very well
    Fabregas- Is worldclass and should of started every game
    Its hard to pick a player, Germany, Turkey and other teams

Senna won't get it. Not a chance. For a DMC to get it, they'd have to pop up with a few goals or assists, such is the game and such is the media.

But, he is right up there with those who deserve it. Not only has he done a normal DMC's job, but he's absolutely excelled in the position.I dont think Keane of Vieira would done any better really. And thats high praise. Everyone knows he has a dodgy defence behind him yet they haven't conceded a goal in the 2 matches since the group stages. He does a fantastic job winning the ball in midfield and starting those beautiful passing moves, but he does an equally fantasic job filling in for those behind him that have either gone walkabout up the pitch or have made mistakes. Just think back to how much of the time capdivila and particularly Ramos were up at the opposition byline putting in crosses and remember that it was Senna back there defusing the potential attacks against a team that dominated Holland with their work on the flanks.

He won't get it, but i think he deserves it as much as anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Casillas is having a great tournament, best player for me was Sneijder,orchestrated most good moves the dutch put together.
    Aragones has made some weird decisions(that Torres subsitution:confused:), otherwise like most Cesc would've been my man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

3 players have stood out for me over the course ofthe tournament.
    -Ballack
    -Zhirkov
    -Sneijder

Sneijder is a fantastic player and I think heis one of the best attacking midfielders i have seen for years.

Zhirkov has been a big surprise for me. Saw him once or twice before the tournament but never stood out. I think he has been brilliant for Russia and I think he has been their player of the tournament.

Ballack for me has been the player of the tournament. He didn't have a great day against Turkey but he kept going all the same. In Germany'sother games he was excellent and is a real leader. He is a player that I really admire (even thou i hate Chelsea!!) and although i want Spain to win, I wouldn't begrudge him the honour of lifting the tropy should the Germans prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Player of the tournament for me so far has to be Bastian Schweinsteiger. His movement and runs into the box are phemnominal - he has endless energy and covers so much ground up that left wing. Scored two goals and setup several others. Absolute class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Seaneh wrote: »
    Sergio Ramos is spains best centre back by a country mile, they just play him at right full to accomidate the abysmol Puyol!

No no no no no no no no no.... Ramos is most DEFINITELY a fullback... It was absurd to play him at centre back, and it only happened when Canavarro/ Helguera were injured, because you lose 70% of his ability as a central defender, his great attacks... Ive watched the boy for years, he is not even nearly as good when playing as a central defender..

And for the record, he has just had a bad start to the tournament, he is an absolutely quality talent, shame he hasn't displayed it to the world in this tournament though..

Player of the tournament for me is Senna!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Senna won't get it. Not a chance. For a DMC to get it, they'd have to pop up with a few goals or assists, such is the game and such is the media.

But, he is right up there with those who deserve it. Not only has he done a normal DMC's job, but he's absolutely excelled in the position.I dont think Keane of Vieira would done any better really. And thats high praise. Everyone knows he has a dodgy defence behind him yet they haven't conceded a goal in the 2 matches since the group stages. He does a fantastic job winning the ball in midfield and starting those beautiful passing moves, but he does an equally fantasic job filling in for those behind him that have either gone walkabout up the pitch or have made mistakes. Just think back to how much of the time capdivila and particularly Ramos were up at the opposition byline putting in crosses and remember that it was Senna back there defusing the potential attacks against a team that dominated Holland with their work on the flanks.

He won't get it, but i think he deserves it as much as anyone.

Thats a fair point and correct to a certain degree, to say he has excelled is a bit of an overstatement. I think he is doing a very basic job and his impact on the games is not what it should be, a player like Senna should be alot more imposing.
    I could agree that he complements Fabregas well but replacing Fabregas would be extremely difficult, you could replace Senna with Sidwell (joke).
    I just think he has played decent and thats about it, has not really been tested too much to be honest.
    Hopefuly Ballack will be fully fit and we could see some good exchanges.

Advertisement