Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RX8

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Vertakill wrote: »
    JHMEG, I was trying to be kind to the RX8, considering this thread is all about the RX8
    Just pointing out that you dissed the Teg as not being mentionable in the same discussion as the other 3, whereas the point I was making is that there's not a lot of difference between the ITR and the RX-8! If you're going to diss one you may as well diss the other.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

voxpop wrote: »
    Wouldnt touch one with a barge pole after that write up - reminds me of a Renault Laguna

Au contraire. RX8's are good vehicles. A bit thirsty and not without a few quirks, but fundamentally good nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

JHMEG, I was trying to be kind to the RX8, considering this thread is all about the RX8 and considering there are quite a lot of fanbois watching each post.
    (Btw, I love BMI, but they have a tendency of doing weird **** on their races. eg. Telling everyone to turn off TCS and then an M3 winning it hands down, while you watch the TCS flicking on the dash when watching the in-car view.)

So I'm just going to say it and get it over with -
    I don't think the RX8 or the Integra are in the same league as the 350Z or S2k.

I think the RX8 needs to make it's mind up. It's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

It wants to be a sports car, but it fails:
    Because it's woeful torque and it's not even going to beat the Z or S2K on handling. [It may marginally edge a Z going into the corner as it's so much lighter, but then it loses a ****load of ground as soon as the two cars power out of the corner because of it's lack of torque].

It wants to be a practical, but it fails:
    4 seats, if that is a must, then fair enough. It's a nice small nippy car that can take 4 people. However, I wouldn't consider sub 20mpg to be practical and the cost of running is quite high also.

The S2K and the 350Z are pure sports cars and they don't try to be anything else. This is why they're both good at what they do. The RX8 is a diluted sports car.
    Don't get me wrong, I know they're great fun to drive and it's good car. But the 350Z and S2K are a lot better.

If you want a sports car, I wouldn't get an RX8 (350Z, S2K and many more are better). If you want a fast, but practical car, I wouldn't get an RX8 either (M3, S4 would be my choice).

You'll see an AWFUL lot more RX8's than 350z's or S2000's because they tick a lot of boxes for people that are interested, and they are a good car, but they don't excel in anything which is why I personally wouldn't get one.

This post justs sums the rx8 up perfectly, its exactly what I was trying to say earlier :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Chergar wrote: »
    What are you on about? Bitter? we have discussed this before. I have long since gotten rid of my bitterness. Wasted away in pure bitter was i. Untill i realised there was a world outside the massive FANBOY club that is the RX8. And yes i actually agree with you, the 190 was pointless, slow, cumbersome, ugly wideboys car but nothing i said was actually not accurate, something we have agreed on before. I just think its a bit mad to be calling it a sports car. As for the chap who said he wanted a pure bred sports car with four doors, EH... Paradox dont you think? and then to follow it up with torque not being important. WHAT A MUPPET. however Cbreeze your not a muppet, we actually agreed on most things, because you can talk about facts, not the sad bizarre people who make **** up to steady their argument.

4 seats actually, calm down, you might read things properly from my original post. :rolleyes:

I knew what I was buying when I chose the 8. It is a car designed as a sports car with a rotary engine that is not known for torque but more so its revving ability. I'm not a "fanboy" or "muppet". Just someone who decided what they wanted in their car purchase. However you seem to find that hard to accept from your experince with your 8...oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

BNC wrote: »
    4 seats actually, calm down, you might read things properly from my original post. :rolleyes:

I knew what I was buying when I chose the 8. It is a car designed as a sports car with a rotary engine that is not known for torque but more so its revving ability. I'm not a "fanboy" or "muppet". Just someone who decided what they wanted in their car purchase. However you seem to find that hard to accept from your experince with your 8...oh well.

Sorry BNC, I think you have gotten mixed up there in the ether. I was talking to Cbreeze. You may have been taken as collateral damage there. My conversation is a long running one with Cbreeze from many other threads. The point was to instruct that mad amount of heart rather than facts in this place. I may have simply taken your point as a sports car, as a point of heart rather than techinical detail. It was not intended to strike at you, but at the general theme that this car seems to bring out in people. Which i have to say im finding very enjoyable at this point. If you how ever read my early posts you'l see i am merely concerned with Technical details rather than anything else.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest here the rx8 is a fantastic looking car, the interior is top notch (best of the three cars mentioned by a stretch imo) and the engine is silky smooth. Overall its a lovely car to drive and be in and handles well. I just found that if you are paying near 20k for a car that averaged mid teens mpg for the weekend we were in it it really didnt rock my world. It didnt blow me away enough to justify spending that type of money on running costs. The s2000 offered so much more and even though compromised practicality wise and less well specced inside it really put a smile on my (and her!) face at speeds you wouldnt consider groundbreaking either. The mpg is much better and its more relilable but even if it wasn't i still would chose it over the rx8. Horses for courses I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

In reality the RX8 is more of a 3 series coupe/Peugeot 406 coupe rival than the s2000 or 350Z so this whole argument is a silly one.

4 seats and a boot, I think its a testament to how good it is that you are comparing it to out and out sportsters like the 350Z etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

JHMEG wrote: »
    Just pointing out that you dissed the Teg as not being mentionable in the same discussion as the other 3, whereas the point I was making is that there's not a lot of difference between the ITR and the RX-8! If you're going to diss one you may as well diss the other.
    Vertakill wrote:

Isn't that not exactly what I wrote?
    You're kinda nitpicking here...

Anyways, stupid debate considering the RX8 is aiming at a very slightly different audience than the Z and the S2K. Whereas the ITR is a totally different audience altogether.

Isn't that not exactly what I wrote?
    You're kinda nitpicking here...

I don't mean to, I just don't understand what you mean by
    To add the Integra to that summary would be an insult to the other 3 cars!
    The other 3 being the 350z, RX-8 and S2k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

mazda 6 mps is better imo

• Advertisement

I don't mean to, I just don't understand what you mean by:

"To add the Integra to that summary would be an insult to the other 3 cars!"

The other 3 being the 350z, RX-8 and S2k.

Jesus christ, can you get anymore anal?
    Vertakill wrote:
    JHMEG, I was trying to be kind to the RX8, considering this thread is all about the RX8 and considering there are quite a lot of fanbois watching each post.

As in, I was being generous adding the RX8 to the same category as 350z/S2K initially. Answered, for the second time.
    Read my posts again and don't come back quoting half the statement because I really hate repeating myself. Especially when you're clearly only seeing what you want to see.

Jesus christ, can you get anymore anal?

As in, I was being generous adding the RX8 to the same category as 350z/S2K initially. Answered, for the second time.
    Read my posts again and don't come back quoting half the statement because I really hate repeating myself. Especially when you're clearly only seeing what you want to see.
    Jesus Christ can't you answer the <SNIP> question instead of all this back peddling. I don't care what you said about the RX-8. Just answer what the <SNIP> did you mean by

I don't like repeating the same point over and over, nor do I like spoonfeeding people information - but I'm going to do both, just for you.
    Vertakill wrote:

I was being generous to the RX8 here by putting it alongside the Z and S2K, but if I was to be more accurate/realistic I should have wrote this:
    Vertakill wrote:
    To add the Integra and the RX8 to that summary would be an insult to the other 2 cars!

EDIT: Btw, for anyone that's planning on attacking me over this. I'm speaking from a purely performance point of view - I'm well aware of the quirks of the RX8 and I'm one of the biggest fans of the rear doors, the convenience of having rear seats and the unique design!

I don't know why you're so intent on bleeding this out of me..
    The ITR isn't in the same category for lots of reasons. Smaller engine, less bhp, less torque, FWD, a lot cheaper.

Let me guess though JHMEG, you probably tick at least three boxes here.

[] Honda fan?
    [] Prospective/Former Integra owner?
    [] Current Integra owner?

[] Really argumentative?

I don't like repeating the same point over and over, nor do I like spoonfeeding people information - but I'm going to do both, just for you.
    Repeating vague statements doesn't make them any clearer. I asked you nicely to clarify, you didn't. You just got abusive, argumentative and launched personal attacks on me.

Vertakill wrote:

I posted that yesterday - if you think that's vague there's really no talking to you.

Anyways, let's drop it as we're going dangerously off topic.

I posted that yesterday - if you think that's vague there's really no talking to you.

You're right, there is no point in talking riddles, to me or anyone else. Communication isn't one of your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

+1 ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Communication isn't one of your skills.

JHMEG ...stop trying to get a rise out of people.
    You're doing a good job at flying just under the insult radar ...but it's grating all the same.

Just give it a rest

- EDIT -

I'm just going to assume you like Honda's/Integra's and that's why this has gotten a little 'heated'.

Fogivenessh Preease !

- EDIT -

I'm just going to assume you like Honda's/Integra's and that's why this has gotten a little 'heated'.

Fogivenessh Preease !

I asked you nicely to clarify.. you got heated not me! Anyway, you eventually did, so I'm done with this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I made this thread a week or two ago and there was nobody replyin then i check it again after a week an there's people fightin everywhere!!!

I was looking at either an integra or rx because as i said i'm only 22. Insurance is high enough on these two but just forget about the 350 or m3, Insurance would be the same on these if not more and the tax would kill me!

But after much consideration i think the s2000 is in the lead, I never thought of it before because of the lack of seats but the more i thought about it the more i said...I'm 22...who the hell wants back seats anyway! Wont be gettin the car for anouther couple of months but i wanna do pleanty of research about all the considered cars!

The ONLY thing that scares me about the s2000 is that it looks more of a peter-mark mobile what with its soft top and that! s2000 fans dont give outta me for saying that!

But i recon thats what i'll go for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I'm 22...who the hell wants back seats anyway! !

You've no mates then, no!? :p

Bear in mind that no backseats also means that your front seat adjustment will be very limited. i.e you wont be able to fully tilt back the seat etc.

Seriously, just don't underestimate not having backseats.

C_Breeze wrote: »
    You've no mates then, no!? :p

Bear in mind that no backseats also means that your front seat adjustment will be very limited. i.e you wont be able to fully tilt back the seat etc.

Seriously, just don't underestimate not having backseats.

All my friends have cars of their own, so i aint ever used as a taxi...ah it'll be a while till i get it yet so i've pleanty of time to ponder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Gramhamo999 from a girls point of view...the rx-8 is a seriously HOT car. With second hand ones you need to watch the oil in the service history as i think thats the biggest headache for wankel rotary engines ( don't you love saying that? ;)) Good luck with the choice!

LolaDub wrote: »
    Gramhamo999 from a girls point of view...the rx-8 is a seriously HOT car. With second hand ones you need to watch the oil in the service history as i think thats the biggest headache for wankel rotary engines ( don't you love saying that? ;)) Good luck with the choice!

Oh i forgot to put this into my big long post earlier, the car is dead sexy, i know that! But what has absolutely killed it for me was, My uncle drives one, its his baby and looks after it incredibly well, 1L of oil every 3-4 fills, the whole shabbang, last week it refused to start so he brought it to mazda and they said there was a few recalls on it so they'd fix it up practicly for nothin...but then they rang him and told him there's a hole in his cat...three grand for one to be brought in and fitted. I just couldn't handle that, i absolutely love cars but i wouldn't have 3000 euro at any given time just in case somethin goes!

I know performance cars always cost big money but i thin i'll veer away from the rx simply coz they're so fragile and damn expensive, think a 2L v-tec would be an awful lot sturdier, i've heard from a couple of mechanics that the engine in the Honda's are absolutely bullet proof.

Any rx8 fans please dont go off on one after what i just said! I love the car...just cant afford to run it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    then they rang him and told him there's a hole in his cat...three grand for one to be brought in and fitted. I just couldn't handle that, i absolutely love cars but i wouldn't have 3000 euro at any given time just in case somethin goes!

Its so expensive because there is platinum in it :eek:

Sounds like an excuse for a decat to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah rx's have to be mammyed from day one. if your buying one, particularly an older one, you dont really know how the previous owner(s) cared for it. if they didnt use the mazda dexelia oil it can be bad in the long run. but in saying that, the 231's are a dream to drive.

s2000, im just not sure about them. honda would be one of the best make cars on the road, dont get me wrong, but these......mmm...why not import a 2L mx5?

I'm glad you've taken the opinions on board, despite all the flaming going on. :)

I'm 22 and my cars a 2 seater with astronomical tax, but as I said before, my mates have 5 seat cars so there's no need for me to have one. Besides, if I was taxi'ing my mates in a 20-25mpg car I'd be in big trouble.

But as you've mentioned, that Honda engine is rock solid and is built to be abused somewhat. So you shouldn't need to worry about repair bills.

Two things that tend to pop up with the s2k from looking into them myself are oil consumption and the risk of them being run near dry by clueless owners resulting in big ends going. Second thing is the suspension geometry. The bushes for the adjustment bolts tend to seize and crack, you need to replace these at big cost. Most people leave them meaning the car isint set up right which gives the car its reputation as a scary handler.

A mate put me onto a site called www.s2ki.com go to the uk section and there's a brilliant faq section. Happy hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Another thing to check is if its been crashed. S2000's have no traction control, are RWD and an engine that delivers a lump of power when the vtec kicks in. As a result many have gone backwards through a hedge in England, been written off and put back on the road. A car data check is a must!

Advertisement