Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Idling Rav4

Options
  • 27-06-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I went to look at a 1995 Rav4 last nite . Its a 2.occ petrol. The car drove fine but at idle (even when hot ) was at about 1200 rpm .

This seems quite high..can anyone diagnose a fault thats causing this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

well, is the car stuck at 1200 you does it bounce ( the needle ) between said rpms ?? if thats so its juts a little nixer: tightening the exhaust.

if tis stuck there water/coolant mightent be getting Fully to the engine... sticky valve or such somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

S.I.R wrote: »
    well, is the car stuck at 1200 you does it bounce ( the needle ) between said rpms ?? if thats so its juts a little nixer: tightening the exhaust.

if tis stuck there water/coolant mightent be getting Fully to the engine... sticky valve or such somewhere ?

It moves around a little .. its higher when its cold - above 1500 rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

well, is the car stuck at 1200 you does it bounce ( the needle ) between said rpms ?? if thats so its juts a little nixer: tightening the exhaust. if tis stuck there water/coolant mightent be getting Fully to the engine... sticky valve or such somewhere ?

How would "tightening the exhaust" change the engine idle?? :confused:

If water or coolant doesnt get to the engine then it would overheat!

Sticky valve? Not very specific are you??

---
    Anyhow, OP, Toyota's are designed to initially idle high when cold, so 1800rpm's is not unusual.. However! If its settling down at 1200rpm, then it appears that the Idle Control(IACV) Valve maybe faulty. Would possibly cost you around €300 to €400 to have fixed.. Either way have a mechanic check it out before you part with your cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    How would "tightening the exhaust" change the engine idle?? :confused:

If water or coolant doesnt get to the engine then it would overheat!

Sticky valve? Not very specific are you??.

im not being specific because well, he wasnt, not alot of information given also yueah the idle control Could be going but then again a majority of cases i find with this kinda fault either is " self reving " thanks to backfeed off the exhaust ( hence the tightening ) and yes, a car can work or should i say some ?? can worth with very little water.... hondacivics , corrollas, troopers , they all only need oil , drop of water and keys to turn it off ( keys are optional :rolleyes: )

if it is the valve... get it done a.s.a.p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I went to look at a 1995 Rav4 last nite . Its a 2.occ petrol. The car drove fine but at idle (even when hot ) was at about 1200 rpm .

It could be a sticky throttle cable or a sticky iacv. Don't go buying something if there is something obvious like this wrong with it - ask the seller to rectify it before you buy it or haggle them down substantially (you don't know what it is or how much it'll cost to put right)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Barr, I have two pieces of advice for you.

The first is to completely ignore everything that SIR posts. I am genuinely sorry, and I do try to not appear to have a go at him but in all honesty I have never seen anyone who posts such rubbish. I cant recall the last time he posted something that was even vaguely correct. The main reason I posted was because you seemed to be paying heed to him.

Secondly, high idle on these can be caused by a MAF problem. It could be a MAF but it could also be a number of other things. The other common fault on these that causes high idle is a dirty idle motor. I think you will need to get this looked at.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^+1 I have never seen such crap from any other poster on this forum.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Barr, I have two pieces of advice for you.

The first is to completely ignore everything that SIR posts. I am genuinely sorry, and I do try to not appear to have a go at him but in all honesty I have never seen anyone who posts such rubbish. I cant recall the last time he posted something that was even vaguely correct. The main reason I posted was because you seemed to be paying heed to him.

Secondly, high idle on these can be caused by a MAF problem. It could be a MAF but it could also be a number of other things. The other common fault on these that causes high idle is a dirty idle motor. I think you will need to get this looked at.

HTH

cheers for the heads up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

There are only a few reason why an engine will idle high,

- Sticky throttle butterfly/throttle cable, open off pipe from airbox and visually check

- Dirty/dodgy idle control valve

- Cracked/loose hose between the throttle body and inlet manifold
    Misc-6thSense.jpg

Advertisement