Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vista

Options
  • 27-06-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

This may be better suited in the computers and technology forum but i know how much people involved with music production don't like vista, i thought i'd get better feedback here. (as opposed to ahh vista man its the only way forward..)

i have vista on my laptop (and i hate it). theres a pc in the house with xp, but its a dell so we weren't given the xp discs when we got it.is there anyway i can install it on the laptop? i'm fairly sure its a lost cause....

I'm using reason and the latency is terrible. I have ableton but havent installed it yet cause i'm waiting to see if i can get away without installing it twice...

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Buy the software. Only way man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi there.

Can Cubase run on Vista or does it have compatibility issues? I use Avid for editing but have a Vista machine and Avid it not supported by Vista. Microsoft say they work is ongoing and they are working on it. Just wondered is Cubase currently in the same position as Avid regarding running it on Windows Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi there.

Can Cubase run on Vista or does it have compatibility issues? I use Avid for editing but have a Vista machine and Avid it not supported by Vista. Microsoft say they work is ongoing and they are working on it. Just wondered is Cubase currently in the same position as Avid regarding running it on Windows Vista.

http://knowledgebase.steinberg.de/173_1.html

that might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

i'm thinking of buying a new pc but i'm wondering is there any option of getting xp with a new pc or are you pretty much stuck with vista now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Sorry to ask (somebody had to) but is going mac out of the question?

The onboard soundcard and audio drivers in macs tend to be excellent. I have a dual boot macbook. In Windows, I have problems with latency using Live, but no such problems in OSX/Core Audio.

If you got a mac and decided OSX wasn't for you, you could always just wipe it and install Windows, and still have a very nice powerful laptop.

Either way, most people use external soundcards, which offer "zero latency monitoring" amongst other features.

If you want to do everything in the box with no external keyboards or soundcards, Live on a macbook running OSX is the way to go IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What hardware have you plugged in?

One option is to just give it time for some decent Vista-compatible drivers for your gear to come out.

Don't get me wrong, Vista is ****.

banquo wrote: »
    What hardware have you plugged in?

One option is to just give it time for some decent Vista-compatible drivers for your gear to come out.

Don't get me wrong, Vista is ****.

I'm using an m-audio midi keyboard. And i'm running reason off my external hard drive.

2 questions:

1 - Do you take the time to answer questions from people who have taken the time to reply to your initial question?

2 - Is going mac out of the question?

womoma wrote: »
    2 questions:

1 - Do you take the time to answer questions from people who have taken the time to reply to your initial question?

2 - Is going mac out of the question?

1. Sorry I assumed that question was directed at jiltloop.

2. Yes it is out of the question, for the time being anyway, as I am still a student and cannot afford one.

Fair enough man. I would still keep en eye on the prices of second hand Core2Duo macs on adverts.ie. You get the odd bargain on macbooks.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

sorry brow didn't mean to bump in on your thread, just got a thought when i was reading through it

womoma wrote: »
    Fair enough man. I would still keep en eye on the prices of second hand Core2Duo macs on adverts.ie. You get the odd bargain on macbooks.

All the best.

thanks, I'll keep an eye out
    jiltloop wrote: »
    sorry brow didn't mean to bump in on your thread, just got a thought when i was reading through it

oh no its no problem, i thought womoma's question about macbooks was directed at you...bump away i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheMelodyOfRain

brow_601 wrote: »
    This may be better suited in the computers and technology forum but i know how much people involved with music production don't like vista, i thought i'd get better feedback here. (as opposed to ahh vista man its the only way forward..)

i have vista on my laptop (and i hate it). theres a pc in the house with xp, but its a dell so we weren't given the xp discs when we got it.is there anyway i can install it on the laptop? i'm fairly sure its a lost cause....

I'm using reason and the latency is terrible. I have ableton but havent installed it yet cause i'm waiting to see if i can get away without installing it twice...

thank you

Absolutely. What you need is XPlite. With this, you can make a 'watered down' or 'lite' version of your current XP installation, save it as an .iso, burn it to a disk then pop it into your vista laptop and install it.

Absolutely. What you need is XPlite. With this, you can make a 'watered down' or 'lite' version of your current XP installation, save it as an .iso, burn it to a disk then pop it into your vista laptop and install it.

thanks, i'll give that a go.can i download xplite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

Hate that vista.
    Keeps crashing and kept getting bsod when I loaded serato scratch.
    Nothing but problems with it so far.
    Glad I have another laptop with xp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheMelodyOfRain

thanks, i'll give that a go.can i download xplite?

Aye.

Advertisement