Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Transport - Your View

• 27-06-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Bit late getting this out there, however the public are invited to view maps and give input on how Cork City Council should develop sustainable transport in the future.

28th June Mahon Point Shopping Centre 13.00 - 19.00

3rd July Wilton Shopping Centre 14.00 - 19.00

3rd July Merchants Quay 12.00 - 18.00

4th July Wilton Shopping Centre 14.00 - 19.00

4th July Merchants Quay 12.00 - 18.00

Info and an online survey at http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/r...transportplan/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Do the survey, might kick them up the ass.

I just did it and gave them an earful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I have some minor problems with the one way traffic situation.

If you are coming from Jury's Inn and you want to get to say, St Lukes Cross, you have to go all the ways down the opposite quay and back down McCurtain street to go up Summerhill North.

There are quite a few one way annoyances in Cork. (Most one way street prone city in Ireland ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Do the survey, might kick them up the ass.

I just did it and gave them an earful.

Compared to Dublin's mess, Cork City's traffic is a pleasure to experience - keep up the good work!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

HonalD wrote: »
    Compared to Dublin's mess, Cork City's traffic is a pleasure to experience - keep up the good work!:)

In terms of Dublin, Cork has no problems. I like the survey idea, but realistically, it should be done "on the ground". Same goes for Dublin.

Yeah the traffic problems can largely be solved by grade separating Dunkettle, building the north ring and sorting out Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts. But public transport in Cork is a shocking mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is the bus service in particular that is a mess in Cork. Which is a pity, as Cork actually has a pretty good road network and relatively light congestion, so a decent bus service could operate really well in Cork.

Yeah the traffic problems can largely be solved by grade separating Dunkettle, building the north ring and sorting out Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts. But public transport in Cork is a shocking mess.

Is there enough space at Dunkettle for a cloverleaf ? If it were done, it would make an amazing difference to the south ring road.

I wouldnt trust Irish drivers on Cloverleafs, they cant merge or stay in the correct lanes as it is, cloverleaves would be death traps.

Apparently the NRA are planning a grade separation in the 'medium term', but whether thats full, partial or what/when I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldnt trust Irish drivers on Cloverleafs, they cant merge or stay in the correct lanes as it is, cloverleaves would be death traps.

Ya I second that, too many bad experiences heading into the tunnel with people in the wrong lanes.

Apparently the NRA are planning a grade separation in the 'medium term', but whether thats full, partial or what/when I dont know.

The Red Cow should be fun when finished so.

Seriously though, it is the only prob way to go. Have large signage before the tunnel point out which lane you HAVE to be in. As it is, there are no signs before going through the tunnel which makes for interesting lane changes just before the roundabout.

• Advertisement

And going into the tunnel theres that ridiculous lane for the tunnel management building that feels natural to get in or at least slightly drift across. I've seen so many near misses there.

Of course most of the problems lie in the fact that the road markings have all but worn off, despite me sending the Cork RDO a ton of emails complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The biggest problem with Cork City is Cork County Council. there are 275,000 people in Cork and around the harbour, but only 121,000 live in the city. If people didn't have to trvel 15km to work, things would be so much easier. Last night, my father (more my mother to be honest :pac:) insisted[/] on collecting me from the train station. We then did the 2km one-way detour around the block.

My brother tells me there is massive tailbacks in the morning at the Shannonpark(?) roundabout of Carrigaline traffic heading for the city, while in the reverse direction, there are tailbacks of city residents heading for Ringaskiddy.

I got the number 3 earlier (I'm in Cork) and the driver was able to travel at a leisurely pace but get to the destination quite quickly. As I had just missed one bus, I had a 15 minute wait until the one I used. During this time I watched other traffic on Grand Parade. The pannelling on most of the buses locked like they had been used in stock car rallying - one bus had 3 different generations of pannelling, each of a slightly different colour. Cars were conscientiously parked in bus stops and taxi ranks, while studiously avoiding the loading bay, and although said loading bay appeared to be 24x7 - I'm not sure how many deliveries are made on a Saturday evening. Many a u-turn was made from Oliver Plunkett Street to Tuckey Street across the solid white line.

Earlier I had noted the haphazard layout of the Coal Quay as it wanders from 4 to 3 to 2 to 4 lanes and the footpath collapsing into the river by the Shandon Bridge, which is covered in stickers and graffiti, while the safety rail is coming apart.

Patrick Street, despite being a shopping street (with plenty of alternative routes), still sees all sorts of traffic using it.

Advertisement